do relative pitch and perfect pitch course work?

Discussion in 'Education' started by duskwings, Sep 17, 2011.

1. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

hi,i ve just begun to use the relative pitch method super course by david lucas burge,i m still at the fist lessons.my question is: has anybody tried it with benefits?i feel i m improving actually and only time will tell if it was effective.since i d also like to try the perfect pitch course.
    around the internete i found many reviews and opinions and honestly most reviews seem more advertisements than reviews and the opinions fom users mostly come from skeptics who never tried any of these methods stating that there s no way to learn perfect pitch .
    thus i decided to ask here for honest non paid opinions,possibly by someone who tried the courses and not by slave pens or tight ass minds.
    thanks

3. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

They work but it takes TIME and a lots of practise and it is very BORING.
    This is the ONLY reason why so many diss those classes.
    They think if i can´t have perfect pitch in 2 months then it dont work.
    And you have to practise on a regular basis
    I simply dont have time to do those exercises nowadays i did it for some months years ago.
    I can now recognice tones by ear alone but only 4 of them so i have to rely on relative pitch to figure out others if i test myself.
    Burges relative pitch is awesome it covers everything all intervals and every chord there is to know.
    So do practise realtive pitch and perfect pitch do them both as it will improve your ear even if you not finished them.
    Good luck

4. obscure

obscure Newbie

Yea I've tried the perfect pitch course...the main problem is if you actually go through with the practice and the course, by the time you've achieved close-to-perfect pitch on a multitude of instruments (rmbr you need to learn the pitch on piano, brass, violin, other timbres etc.)...your life will be fucked up, and you still won't have the 'perfect pitch' you dream of.

It takes too much time, and nothing you can ever do will take you to the level of a natural perfect pitch recognising ear.

I think if you want something close, try learning 'perfect pitch' on voice, esp. ur own voice. Then you can hum or visualise(?) humming a note and line it up with what you're listening to

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I haven't used the training that you are mentioning. But, I spent my time studying music theory, composition, arrangement, making music, playing with other people, learning and having fun instead of training to have perfect pitch. Now I have relative pitch, and close to perfect pitch. Sure, training intervalls and chord recognition (and nailing them) surely help. But having perfect pitch for the sake of it, is just useless imo.

6. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

i agree with u all,and surely relative pitch is the thing to focus mostly.concerning the time it takes to learn it,i don t think anyone who takes music seriously expects to develope their ear in a short amount of time,event at the conservatory the solfege program is takes at least a year if i m not wrong.perfect pitch would be a good plus although it s not as foundamental as relative pitch in my opinion,otherwise just a few would be able tocompose.so thank u for the answers,i ll go on with the courses,expecially relative pitch,hoping to complete it in the time that is necessary.

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

yh i did it last year for some months - my playing on the piano gots better and when it goes on hooks that also improved.
    and i can remember better melodies in my mind.
    but i#m still not able to get tones by ear. dunno why.

yh the course is boring but its really worth in my opinion.
    and its great to listen to it and over think it when u are in holidays where u can really good relax.
    i would do the course full!

8. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Yes this is exactly what you gonna get.
    A perfect pitch so that you can sing the tones and now what tones your singing nothing more.
    If you can sing a tone and now it´s a c# or any other tone you have perfect pitch.
    And if you have both perfect and relative pitch and hear a song on the radio with a great melody you just hum the first tone aha a D and then figure out the rest by relative pitch as it is mostly very common scales.
    You have to listen to Frank Zappa and similar to get a challange

9. G String

G String Rock Star

haha

I think I will try it.