Do I really need a vocal booth?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by PAULOPAUZUDO, Dec 7, 2016.

1. PAULOPAUZUDO

PAULOPAUZUDO Noisemaker

Hello guys!
    I'm doing a little reform in my studio and at this point of my life, after years since I built my studio, i'm not sure if I really need my vocal booth anymore.
    To clarify it, my studio is a square room measuring 4x4 meters. When I built it, I had the most fucked idea ever: I built a wall right in the middle of it. The problem is I work there alone, so I spent years pressing rec and running into the vocal room... And I really need some space here.
    Now, since I never had a real problem recording my own vocals here, like external noises or things like that, I'm thinking about demolish this wall and build a recording booth with some wood panels and stuff it using the isolation foams from the inside walls.
    People always says to me that my studio ir cool because it has a "real bocal booth" and it makes it looks like a "real studio" not a home studio, but to be honest, I don't care about it.
    So, what do you guys think? I'm missing something or can I just get rid of this fucking wall?

Thanks guys.

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

If you don't need an isolation booth, then why all the doubt? It's ultimately your workspace-make it how you want it. If outside noises are not a problem you might like the sound of a little "wood" instead of dead walls, and the little curved isolation shields work pretty well if you want less room sound, if you decide to use it.http://www.americanmusical.com/Item...TAgIIa0_NA9jfBZFoBXJLACfJ542QfSBdqhoCxE_w_wcB

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Try TouchDAW ... No more running! :winker:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Definitely lose the wall. If your room is iffy, I have heard that the Aston Halo is actually pretty good dealing with room reflections, and this video really shows off what it can do. Pass up the Italian smalltalk and listen to the huge difference without being all muffled the Aston makes.

That or buy an Electro Voice RE20 or Sennheiser MD 441 and pretty much loose the room. I did a vocal for a kid's television program a bunch of years ago with a 441 and it was amazing on my voice. I currently have an RE20 and it is a great mic too. Both need tons of gain though, 60+ dB to help them achieve their high potential as vocal mics.

6. PAULOPAUZUDO

PAULOPAUZUDO Noisemaker

Thanks for your replies my friends, every answer really have helped me to decide what to do with that fucking wall, I was like 99% sure about that, but i wanted some help and I got it here.

Thanks!

7. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Absolutely! I use this instead of console view in the DAW as well. It's like buying an extra screen. But for remote transport operation, it's awesome!

8. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

Hello.
    About vocal booths... They are more useful to the vocalist than to the sound itself.
    Look here, the vocals recording for Endless Love. Shania Twain and Lionel Richie did it în a bedroom. (The recording, of course, don't be naughty...!)

9. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Back in the day, I would just have vocalists stand in the living room doorway with the living room behind them -- it was the only room in the house with enough furniture and uneven wall space (entertainment center, framed posters, etc.) to kill echoes that the mic would pick up, yet large enough to not sound they were singing inside of a box. Nowadays, they have plenty of mic-mounted treatments -- (SE Reflexion, Aston Microphones' Halo, etc.) that work great, and you can always buy a few portable gobos to help isolate your vocalist. You can even buy an iso booth for fairly cheap (I've seen them go around $600) if you absolutely need one. They're usually just not that necessary, so long as your studio's quiet enough and you're not picking up too much echo off the walls and ceiling.