Do I Need An Audio Interface???

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Doctor_Me, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Doctor_Me

Doctor_Me Platinum Record

My first successful thread here at AS, my other ones were almost ignored, haha
    Thanks for the replies guys! :)

2. WolwerineBlues

WolwerineBlues Platinum Record

Do i need air to breath, try it! :cool:

3. Gosh, your desolate hillside scenario sets the stage for a fairly bleak and empty picture in my mind with the wind kicking the dust up, pinging a million rat-a-tat-tats against your caravan in a threadbare, desert landscape at a blue, purplely dark and dismal dusk. You could buy some bells tuned to different interesting chords, and changing them when the mood seems to fit, have your sheep band playing different "feelings" as your mood fits. This way you could jam with the only musicians you have at hand (or hoove).

4. G String

G String Rock Star

You know it well!! :D

But it is quite beautiful in its austerity and isolation. Having never previously "felt at home" I now never want to leave this place. I was a drifter, but now I'm home. The view out of my front door is of Brecon Beacons, much like this:[​IMG]

So I can't complain. I recommend living in a trailer - it's almost like living outdoors, but with a studio and the internet. :D

5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Audio interfaces are like girlfriends, you don't need them but they are nice to have.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Most pro composers use Asio4All anyway, why invest when a generic motherboard audio chip is enough for one kontakt piano and five blackhole reverbs?Michael Bay doesnt mind,i dont mind.:disco:
    I rather spend my money in my local bar.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. I wouldn't exactly classify beautifully landscaped farmland with the vista towards those Becons as necessarily desolate. Well maybe on a cold freezing raining winter's day it might lean in that direction though. I too have "kept it simple" in the past, having no toilet and watching the grateful for the treasure, dung beetles roll away my waste to wherever they rolled it (it is funny now that I think about it that I never knew the answer). Outdoor showers are the best. Living like that made it feel odd to come back inside. After your living room ceiling is the sky and you share your kitchen scraps with the birds and the varmints, average and everyday take on new meaning. I miss it.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. G String

G String Rock Star

It's more desolate than that picture suggests!

Anyway, you certainly trump me for living 'with nature'. Why did you 'come back inside'?

9. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Why don't you do a simple sine sweep and just check it with your ears. If your onboard soundcard can only do 48khz but you're producing in 44.1 you will definitely hear the windows sample rate conversion that way (there would be harmonics that shouldnt be there). if the output lacks bass, too. Maybe you can visit a friend who has an 'proper' interface with your cans and do the same there.
    trust your ears.
    But i'd also say an asio interface with a well programmed driver is good thing to go for.
    it's just less of a hassle than asio4all.

10. Good question...the easiest and definitely shortest answer is...to fulfill my destiny's desire of being in exactly the place I am now. I always felt that I have never have actually made a decision about any aspect of my entire life, but rather fulfilled a pre-ordained script that I have needed to abide by. It seems as if I have had control of my actions, my wants and desires, but the longer that I hang around here, the less likely it seems that that scenario is the reality of the situation. It is more likely and real to me that this whole affair is the dream and someplace on another plane I am likewise the dreamer . It has felt this way since I have been at least five years old but felt it imperative in order to blend in to keep it to myself. I would ask my parents questions about the nature of this physical reality but they had no idea where I was coming from, about structure and three dimensional form and the why of everything and anything. It was only after my teen years when I began reading Castaneda, the Bagavad Gita, the Bible, Foucault's Pendulum and...everything...that at least to me, this idea of control in a real sense is a moot cause. It is more about how we experience than what we experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. G String

G String Rock Star

Good answer. You're clearly way more esoteric than I am. I read Castaneda too but turned to science and rationalism for salvation and insulation. I have to have (what I feel to be) solid ground beneath my feet - too many magic mushrooms blew everything away. I've only recently re-discovered a sense of freewill, having spent 10 years feeling like a passenger in a clockwork universe......and I no longer feel I have imagined myself.

You know you have a very serious chin and mouth, but crazy comic eyes? ;)

12. G String

G String Rock Star

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Salvation finds you...seemingly in a pretty good place in the world and within. What is your power supply that enables your dabbling in this mainstream scenario, solar and battery or something else.

• List
  14. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Our experiences simply add to the universal consciousness...

15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

So you were a vagabond for a while?No disrespect intended though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2016
  16. G String

G String Rock Star

The regular electric grid. (About $1 a day).Internet is 4G mobile. Bottled gas for cooking, heating oil for boiler (and radiators) but no sewage......so....I could do with some of your dung beetles. :D Where *do* they go?

17. Maui