Do I need 2022 version of 2017 BFD Expansions?

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheBaker6595, Jun 13, 2024.

1. TheBaker6595

TheBaker6595 Newbie

Hi, I just migrated computers and wanted to consider new BFD libs, so I installed BFD 3.4.
    Unlike my BFD 3.1 2017 versions, I have to use actual installers for the 2022 counterparts.

If instead of using the installers, I simply copy the 2022 content from the payload folders to sample drive, and scan the directory in BFD, then BFD just sees the presets and kits but the audio doesn't load, as I get yellow warnings on all drum pieces.

I have a dilemma.

I don't want to have to store 100s of gbs of the original t*rrents, and the samples, just to 'install' them each time I migrate computers.

To keep things portable, is there a way to bypass the need to store the installers? Maybe use a symlink somewhere, so the drums load without yellow warnings?

Alternatively, what am I missing by just loading the 2017 version?

Did the 2022 versions fix kits/presets fixed the problem where pieces don't contain any articulations to load, but show as blue pieces rather than grey?

Or is there some sort of updated presets that I could simply copy from 2022 to 2017 folders?

Is there improvements to quality/loadtimes?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
  3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

If everything is one-to-one accurate, you should not be seeing any missing sample flags (in theory). BFD3 could be fussy just upgrading versions id libraries were out of date. Sometimes re-scanning folders inside BFD3 fixes the issue. Other times the library has to be re-installed.

BFD3 will automatically convert compatible installed libraries while loading them. This is indicated on each kit piece during this process.

If the core library is not installed, you will get the error flag quite often. There are two Cor Libraries:
    • InMusic Brands - BFD3 Core Library (2022) 37.9GB
    • FXpansion - BFD3 Core Library (2015) 38.03GB
    The benefit of the newer Core library & expansion is complete feature compatibility, updated samples & updated MIDI. Storage for instruments libraries, audio plug-ins & projects/sessions is par for course. investing in a 2TB SSD or 4TB to 8TB 7200RPM HDD & an external enclosure for offline storage should be considered imho.

Two enclosures I own & recommend:

4. TheBaker6595

TheBaker6595 Newbie

I know that's the case for the BFD engine and core library, but is that also true for the expansions?
    If the samples are actually the same, then I guess I could add the midi from the newer versions and then delete the new non-loading expansion libraries.

*EDIT:
    FWIW, I thought I noticed that some of the warning labels were misleading because clicking the drum pieces did actually load sounds, but I may have been mistaken.

5. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

As you noted, BFD3 will try & reload samples & convert as needed. If you are still getting the flags, re-scanning from from the settings is the Make sure the drive letters are correct for your new setup in the BFD3 settings.

6. TheBaker6595

TheBaker6595 Newbie

Thanks, but I've re-scanned repeatedly and the samples under yellow warnings haven't changed.

Have you or anyone tried both 2017 and 2022 version of Third party expansion libraries who can tell me whether I'm going to really miss anything sonically if I just stick with the 2017 expansions?

RE: these expansions:
    Deluxe,
    Gretsch Rock Legends
    Heavy
    Jazz & Funk Collection
    Joe Baressi Evil Drums
    Joe Baressi Evil Glamouflage Kit
    London Sessions
    Modern Retro
    Oblivion
    Signature Snares Vol.1
    Signature Snares Vol.2

7. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I can find all the pieces for expansions (like Neil Peart kit) but I do not find them listed as kits.
    I've never messed much with BFD, but I assumed there would be a kit, or a preset to choose.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

I have found the Platinum Samples expansions to be lacking in detail & messy to use inside of BFD3. The FXpansion & InMusic expansions musch better. Start with the Core Library & test the expansions you are interested in to form your own opinion about worth to you.

Do your listening tests without any of the FX active (no kit pieces soloed). Also start with the ambience/room faders down & blend in to taste.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  9. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

The Platinum Samples expansions were always a pass for me. They weren't even updated (if any) until InMusic took over the BFD brand.

10. TheBaker6595

TheBaker6595 Newbie

Okay but I won't know what's added in the 2022 versions of the 2017 ones I have already tested.
    I just want to know if there's a marked audible or structural improvement between 2017 and 2022.

11. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

There as mentioned improvements. The question you pose is subjective. Your equipment, you ears.

12. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Don’t quote me. But I believe there are no differences with the actual audio samples of the older versions. Just XML tweaks for the samples. Things like sample level, start/end time.

13. TheBaker6595

TheBaker6595 Newbie

I have to quote you to reply lol, but thank you, that's what I actually wanted to know. Sample tweaks, not sample replacements.

14. TheBaker6595

TheBaker6595 Newbie

@quadcore64
    On a side note, I noticed a few presets in the 2017 collection with your name on them.
    Which kits/packs do I need to use them?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

If using BFD3.v3.4.4.31.CE-V.R-2022.06.24 and older installers, note the .nfo:
    "P.S. Factory Content & Expansions download & install separately - they are all preactivated
    Some already installed encrypted libraries need to be reinstalled in the new uncrypted mode.
    For older installers in InstallScript, change BFDISerialChunk to BFD30-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

This means one must extract from the installer (using Winrar or others) and find the appropriate install script (Windows = "InstallScript.fis").
    Open that file using a text editor, find the line "BFDISerialChunk", and change the value as above.

Personally, I would then want to recompress it with the updated BFDISerialChunk and make note that it is updated, so that if it needs to be installed again, it is already done.
    Since I have 191 Gig in 31 expansions, doing all that is a hassle.
    I have no data limit and a premium account, so I would rather download all the newer installers from 2022.

I would like to see if all that is necessary with the release: BFD3.v3.4.5.28-[uman]-2023.11.20.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. TheBaker6595

TheBaker6595 Newbie

Thank you for that insight!
    Yes, I was using BFD3.v3.4.4.31.CE-V.R-2022
    I just installed BFD3.v3.4.5.28-[uman]-2023.
    I copied over the 2022 London Sessions Library, loaded it in BFD 3.4528, and saw yellow warnings.
    Afterwards I looked in the Installer folder (bc the installer exe itself showed nothing but a few files named in ALL CAPS when opened in 7-zip) and found InstallScript.bfdis (the only file with that name).
    I searched for BFDISerialChunk and found that currently it contains this line:

"# Enter the BFDi Serial chunk you are using here. Make sure you have all the characters!
    BFDISerialChunk, BFD30-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

If that's already there, is it worth simply deleting changing it?
    And since the payload folder was already viewable and movable, how would deleting BFDISerialChunk change anything since I'm only copying and pasting the other folders, not this one?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
  17. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I meant "don't quote me" as in don't take it as 100% verifiable truth lol.

18. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Have to dig out the archive & take a look. Have not done any conversions & presets for quite some time. Have mainly been testing updates as they come.

19. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Saves all the guess work & disappointment.

20. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I was able to get the kits and presets showing by scanning inside the root expansion folder.
    For example:
    Sonic Reality - Neil Peart Kit\
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -\System\
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -\Kits\
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -\Presets\

SO perhaps BFD3 is not properly scanning in a recursive way?
    I remember reading R2R comments about it being buggy, and I saw users comments about needing to rescan and restart, so maybe it is just buggy.

21. TheBaker6595

TheBaker6595 Newbie

I didn't have trouble getting the directories scanned, I simply had trouble when loading their presets because the drum pieces showed yellow warnings and didn't make any sound.