Do artists get worse as time goes by? discussion

Discussion in 'Music' started by KUSHSMOKERLIT, Jan 28, 2024.

1. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

see guys i'm big into dembow i don't know if you guys heard about cherry scom he is a singer from dominican republic he used to have big hits during 2018,2019 now without trying to offend him his music s**** a** like i'm not a hater i used to love this guy music but now he simply s**** i will show you some of his prime era examples and then what he is actually doing first his prime works
    this first one is awesome to say the least then this remix
    now his last work which is horrible in my opinion production and vocals wise
    what do you guys think do most artists get worse with time ? i wanna hear your opinions

3. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

He had probably better team behind his projects before, invested more money into it, last video, it's one of those, "I have a friend that have a DAW and iPhone who will do this for peanuts" and it's exactly that, music and video vise.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
  4. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

yeah he used to be produced by b one which is a great producer nowadays he only puts out trash music sad to see and hear since he was a great artist what do you think about the first track ? i love it it's freaking amazing

5. Melodic Reality

Most of those folks look at their audience as bunch of sheeps, music as an product and that product as the way to earn them fame and money. Calling them artist's just sounds completely out of place, they are just performers. When he was starting out, he was willing to do everything he was told and pay how much is needed to get that spotlight. Don't know the guy, but have a feeling it's one of those cases, that he got some fame and money out of it, but then his ego and drug addiction took it further.

Music is not my cup of tea at all, so have no comments on that really.

6. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

yeah he is a known drug addict his drugs of choice are weed and crack since he got a collab with el alfa he doesn't even care what he puts out such a shame

7. Melodic Reality

Yeah, he is probably surrounded by people who will say yes to everything he does, probably same ones that rely on his drugs, so none of them will do any reality checks on him and he see's everyone else as haters, so he ignores those comments. It's hard to keep real friends when you aren't ready to listen to them, eventuality they let you do your own thing and get tired of wasting their energy. Probably most of the famous addicts don't want him around anymore, so he's there with realest street junkies at this point, not ones that drive fast cars and quality cocaine. So to those, this is dope when he pulls out line of crack and play it to them, he's the most famous junkie on the street and they all love it while it last's.

8. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

That's something I've noticed with several Rock bands, there's a few out there (like Radiohead) that still finds ways to make relevant music. I think a lot of artists start losing touch with the newer generations and that spark they had in their generation gets stale and... kinda dead? Just look at Green Day.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

yeah the dude is surrounded by yes man that "adore" anything he does as long as they get their drugs from him it's a shame dude had talent now he is lost in crack

10. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

What happens (in dembow and any other genre) is that usually an artist has just one thing to say: he says it loud and clear with his first song and if he's lucky it becomes a hit. From then on he tries to chase his success, but without having anything left to say his product becomes junk. This is a clichee and unfortunately it happens everyday in showbusiness.
    This is why I'm a bit extreme on the subject: I love art and hate artists

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Platinum Record

looking at his spotify he has over 250 singles since 2017. that matters, thats a large amount of work for an artist to release in that short amount of time. doesnt seem like he takes any time to develop

like in mainstream comparison, Drake has 141 singles, Taylor Swift has 108: this is over decades. Prince has 117 singles and before his death in 2016, he has been releasing music on a commercial level since the late 70's thats almost four decades. the biggest dembow artist El Alfa, has 126 singles in the same time span, same genre (which is also a lot lol). but homie in the OP is treating music like its McDonalds, does McDonalds have the greatest food consistently? is it high quality? making that much music in that short amount of time speaks for itself, despite what i think about his music from the examples you posted (its not positive lol)

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  12. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

i disagree this dude has a drug problem and is surrounded by yes man that's enough to destroy anyone's career

13. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

the moment you mentioned taylor swift as a good artist you lost all credibility to me , she is trash but ok i kinda agree he treats music like it's fast food

14. Melodic Reality

Yeah, think most of them want to keep momentum, but it's gone, their genre isn't as popular anymore and trying to accommodate newer generations have impact and those labels are in for their investment, which come at a cost. Some of the bands have long shitty deals to start with and keeping commercial relevance is hard for that long, so yeah, desperation and greed take big turn for the worse.

15. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Platinum Record

.....did i say she was a good artist anywhere in my post?

16. robie

robie Kapellmeister

He looks 20 years younger in the first video you posted (5 years old according to youtube) than he does in the third. Seems like something's going on with him.

As for artists in general, I think many artists starting out with recording deals have been working on material for many years and they have a whole catalog of stuff they can get started with. Then when they have some success, suddenly they need to come up with new material much more quickly, and the quality in the years of work they had previously isn't there because a label demands they come up with new stuff so fast. I think that may be part of what you're seeing when you perceive of artists as 'getting worse as time goes by'.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

well he started eating so he got fat and then the crack addiction those two should be enough to make anyone look 20 years older lol

18. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Because Spotify is not a music company but rather a tech company and run as such, you gotta churn out content as much as possible in order to stay relevant in the eyes of the mighty algorithm.

Quality has shit to do with it. As long as you can create engagement, your name will pop up.

I'm not making this up either, their space nazi ceo said it himself.

19. boingy99

boingy99 Kapellmeister

Some artists get lazy or bored and just churn out songs and tunes that are very similar but inferior to those that made them famous. Record company pressure contributes to this, because they want you to make the same song/album over and over.

Some believe their own hype, disappear up their bottoms and decide to make music that is dramatically different from their early stuff and then fail to find a new audience.

Some spend all their money on drugs and booze and stop caring about anything.

Some just fail to recapture the excitement they had back when they were new on the scene. They used to write about growing up, being poor, struggling to make it. Now they write about the tedium of touring, hotels, airports and bars, because that's all they've experienced in recent years.

20. thedarkbird

thedarkbird Platinum Record

Since we are biological beings that grow up and thrive, and then get old and wither, it would make sense that on a general level, the level of art made by artists have a similar pattern. It is no coincidence I think that many artists make their masterpieces in their twenties.

This is valid for most human endeavors I would argue: Einstein developed his theory of relativity in his twenties, Stephen Hawking and black hole radiation in his early thirties, Pink Floyd produced Dark Side of the Moon in their twenties, and a list like this goes on and on and on...

Any creative output is a function of cognitive processes that are tied to biological age, and as such, yes, artists will tend to get 'worse' over time. Even though many artists still make great things at older age, but usually not their masterpieces.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

The people who get better later in their careers are usually people who started as outsiders with little to no prior experience/education in music, but who have maintained a genuine interest in making good music (also rare). Everybody else just get worse over time. Maintaining the same level of quality over several decades, like the aforementioned Radiohead, is rare and hard.

Eventually there's nothing left in your bank account of creativity and inspiration you formed in your teens and twenties.