Do acustica audio plugin owners share their serial number with the developer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pedra Sofia, Nov 9, 2023.

1. Pedra Sofia

Pedra Sofia Ultrasonic

A friend at a studio told me she has issues authorising two ACUSTICA audio plugins,
    she fallowed the instructions on their website to re install everything again using the Aquarius installer but they continued to show a alert asking to authorise the plugins even though Thee Aquarius app shows them authorised...

Ok so....I figured it out cause the studio she works for had e located files linked to the plugins on another drive via symbolic links with the terminal and as soon as I put them back the plugins loaded fine..but when Acustica contacted her they requested the serial number of the studio's computer, is this normal?

3. stopped

stopped Producer

many authorization schemes involve various hardware IDs to validate software, being asked for those hardware IDs by a legitimate developer is not concerning

4. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Pedra Sofia

Pedra Sofia Ultrasonic

I looked at the screenshots of the plugs alert dialogue, it was simply an issue due to the studio staff tech moving files from the audio/plugins/component folder to another drive using symbolic links.,
    The issue is that either symbolic or Allias will work if the products are been authorised over the net using a installer to very them, im sure there is an offline solution alike UAD...but its more complicated in Somona, ventura or before I think as well....

but is it not too much info that they can log into your root cause when people install the plugs they have to share their user passwords

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  6. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

the offline solution seems to be to use the sister site nebula because acustica fucking sucks. which then will tank your legit stuff. iirc. I emailed acustica asking directly about this, they basically told me to fuck off and they didn't care. so instead of paying them 400 euro I happily use the pirated nebula and I'll skip the acustica proper libraries and buy third party devs who actually care about their customers.

7. Pedra Sofia

Pedra Sofia Ultrasonic

oh crap, my friend just explained to me that her boyfriend used his computer in conjunction to their studio computer, he had one plug from the sister site installed and Acustica said they see it (name of plugin), I di don't understand at first but realised now that the studio owns every plugin by Acustica, like they have over 30 Gbs of files installed and for them to be able to see two sister site plugins sitting on a external Mac connected by ethernet tells you allot!

So I asked her if they contacted again and she said they again asked for the serial number of the Mac,
    but they also indicated that they knew the serial number of the Mac in the studio so they are literally asking for the serial number of the Macbook! I advised her to ignore the emails and simply claim she had no idea about the plugins they are talking about on another computer for maybe it was some hacker on a network who remotely connected..I think it's crazy that apple lets companies that much access.

I asked a friend into programming and he doe not think Acustica shares the serials with developers to ban it from accessing products., but its possible.

8. macros mk2

I THINK I've read here before that some people have gotten their stuff "banned" from acustica after being caught using sistersite stuff and then they emailed them and basically begged for forgiveness. she might wanna do that, hey there was an unauthorized computer on the network from outside the studio, clearly we don't pirate your software as we have 30 gigs of purchased products yadda yadda. then hope you don't get the same customer service terd I did.

9. Pedra Sofia

Pedra Sofia Ultrasonic

this company sucks as mush ARSE as does AVID, UAD, Slate and Soundtoys (based on their strategies) UAD idea of selling bundles is horrendous and explains why their softrtware had already been cracked in various countries while AVID is beyond rigged with the US gov owning shares and adding them on tax exempt forms for educational institutes to protect the shares of the company, illegal and monopoly., but the Gov Branch been Feds makes it hard to fight the corruption...my point is ACUSTICA is too much trouble then its worth, huge files, tons of memory, ugly UAD and names.. pretty much discouraging experience.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
  10. macros mk2

When I went through the hoops of trying to email them, which they don't make easy really, after I put in quotations the answer from their own FAQ and explained my question about offline use- they told me to read the FAQ. Which means they didn't even bother to read the fucking question or they were to incompetent to understand it or recognize their own fucking FAQ that I stated I had read and was including. They truly do not give a shit about doing good business in my opinion. Fuck Acustica. Use the sistersite Nebula and use third party developers, better sound quality, better selection, better customer service, and with azzimov skins better UI. have them sell the acustica stuff they can't use on knobcloud.

11. Pedra Sofia

Pedra Sofia Ultrasonic

And now acustica are available but I dont even want to install them, the space, cpu energy, ram and memory leeks so bad that the plugins suck the life of you computer are all clear indications of poor programming, horrible GUI, horrendous explanations of what emulations or functions the plugs have,
    I even passed out looking at the Acustica Audio website, Slate who also has tedious GUI and a straight type gay body builder dog walking owner at least makes his plugins look somewhat close to the hardware emulation so your not lost in a lab that looks worse then aliexpress pop up adverts.

And now that Acustica is indeed F-cked (no vaseline time) which plugs do you think are at least worth installing..for m1 Mac SAMONA users?