DMG Limitless help [solved]

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Don Gargon, Dec 15, 2023.

1. Don Gargon

Don Gargon Member

Hello doe's anybody use DMG Limitless? if so im wondering when i use it, it seems to kill the attack on the kick makes it soft attack in stead of hard!. Ive looked in the settings and maybe latency. Any ideas??

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Maybe you are limiting too much? Is your kick quite loud compared to other elements in your mix? How many dB of reduction do you apply? Do you use just one (Limitless) limiter, and not several instances of clippers, compressors and limiters (all doing less) while mastering?

There are other (production and mixing) tricks to make the kick appear louder while being the main driver of the tune.

4. Don Gargon

Don Gargon Member

Nothing applyed! first time i open it on its own on the master channel! it takes the sharpnest off the kick

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
  5. Don Gargon

Don Gargon Member

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  6. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

Linear phase crossovers will do that to transients, and Limitless seems to be exclusively linear phase.

7. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Try setting "Dynamics" to something like 25-40% (before you adjust anything else), and then adjust lookahead until you hear your transients come through clearly. Lookahead should preferably be as low as possible without too much distortion.

Limitless is two multi-band limiters in series, and IIRC Dynamics is just the mix between the two limiters. With Dynamics set to 0% you are only using the fast transient limiter, and with Dynamics set to 100% you are only using the slower limiter. The release for the fast limiter is the same as the Lookahead value, and the release for the slow limiter is just the "Release" parameter. The key is to balance these two limiters so you are both controlling the dynamics of your mix well, but still let transient punch through.

It can also help to use the clipper to control your transients a bit before they hit the limiters. I'd set it to hard-clipping and shave off 1-2dB, but play around with a bit to see what works best for you.

It was quite a long time since I used Limitless now, and I might have gotten something wrong. Take the above with a grain of salt. Good luck!

8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

attack, release, lookahead....

9. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I downloaded the clip and add Limiteless on default setting and bring down the threshold and it didnt eat the kick as your other clip. I suspected the song started at 0:00:00 might've caused the problem but I experimented by doing it, same result. why is that happening to you ? care to show your settings ? could it be plugin latency compensation not correct or something like that ? hm.

upload_2023-12-16_7-10-28.png

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Logic did this kind of thing for many versions before they fixed it. Drag the part back a bar or two and check it. That small transient at the front (your kick's click) is probably not hitting the threshold of your limiter, so why would it be compressed to 0 or removed?

11. Don Gargon

Don Gargon Member

Yes thank you sorted. it doesn't eat the kick now, if moved back a bit. weird but works:like: