DJmag TOP10 Vs. Resident Advisor TOP10: The result? like Black and White.

Discussion in 'general discussion' started by dadarkman, Dec 9, 2011.

1. dadarkman

dadarkman Producer

Depend on who you ask, a few would say that DJMag Top100 has no value whatsoever but others still believe their TOP100 is the one to go by. Obviously because most of DJmag's list only features megastar DJs, it irks a lot of folks who are pure devotees of the underground EDM scene (Some even allege that these DJs on the list pay DJMag, again keyword here: allege). People have looking for alternative, where they give other less known DJs their dues and respect. So, this is where Resident Advisor's list comes up. Comparing the two list, is like pure contrast, as if they are being serve for two different market.
    For me, it all highlight my opinionated way of seeing the world of DJs: Your favorite may not be my favorite, we all have a number one DJ and it could be the guy who plays our local bar with no chance of ever make it to any list. My name is nowhere on any list, but I'm working on it, lol.

DJMag TOP10 for 2011
    1. David Guetta
    2. Armin Van Buuren
    3. Tiesto
    4. DeadMau5
    5. Above & Beyond
    6. Avicii
    7. Afrojack
    8. Dash Berlin
    9. Markus Schulz
    10. Swedish House Mafia

Resident Advisor TOP10 for 2011
    1. Jamie Jones
    2. Seth Troxler
    3. Richie Hawtin
    4. Ricardo Villalobos
    5. Maceo Plex
    6. Art Department
    7. Loco Dice
    8. Dixon
    9. Maya Jane Coles
    10. Ben Klock

Full list can be found at their respective website: Resident Advisor; DJ Mag

3. smartlad

smartlad Member

I don't think it has the merit it used to have. Man it even has guys in there that don't Dj. Looking at the top 10 I think all apart from deadmau5 advertised for their votes, how lame, its like "pick me pick me!!".

Yeah we've all heard the rumours about paying them for a spot, well why not? It raises their profile which in turn gets them more work so its win win really. Look what its done for Guetta, do you really think he makes all them tracks by himself?

4. dadarkman

dadarkman Producer

I hear you Smartlad. Well, I'm not sure if Guetta make all his tracks by himself, more likely not. However, that goes for hundreds of other producers in the game, most have a collaborator or team they work with. The thing is, if the ideas are yours and you are the bigger name with the $$$ budget then you are getting the most of the credit, it's the industry.

I don't mind any of these guys hustle to tell you the truth. It's a dog fight to keep your name above and not that many will have the chance to carry that "Superstar DJ" tag. So, may the fittest survive. One thing in my opinion that always sit wrong out there, is the way, most fans sees or understand the DJ industry, which is nothing different from any other competitive industries: A few will restrict themselves by choice or circumstances but the boatload of DJs DO want to go the top, and shine as bright as possible. I know that cause I am in the scene day in and day out. I am one of them. I hear, see and read tons about DJs... the truth is, the day that the TOP10 DJs in Resident Advisor was to be given the chance to take Guetta, Benassi, Afrojack, etc... places, 8 out of 10 will do in a heartbeat. And what will happen? those same fans will start saying the same thing about Loco Dice, Jamie Jones, Richie Hawtin, that they sell out, they pay to be on there, etc... Before Guetta rose to fame, same was said years ago about Tiesto, PVD, bT, etc... It's a no ending cycle of outsiders opinion which may not match the real intent and direction a DJ dreamed with his career.

To be honest, I never heard of half of Resident Advisor's TOP100 list until I got to read it a few weeks ago. I'm glad to be introduced to all these movers and shakers I didn't know about, read upon them and listen to their sets to see what makes them that notable of a DJ. However, at the same time, I fully respect every DJ in DJmag TOP100 because I've seen most of them up close putting in work for years and some even decade. Many may not be X or Y's taste but a lot of them know their sh*t. The DJmag list itself may not be realistic as in where these guys are positioned in it but nevertheless, these guys are to say the least good DJs.

I think everybody in the game, commercial or underground, waking up everyday to go entertain hundreds of people and releasing tracks for the mass to consume do deserve their due. So, that's why I think both list (and other lists) should exist and keeping the choice and DJ spectrum at large reach from underground to mainstream.