DJ gear for composer

Discussion in 'DJ' started by Madison Henderson, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Madison Henderson

Madison Henderson Newbie

Is there a DJ gear that is designed for a more seasoned composer, or producer?
    I have no DJ background but I’m an experienced producer and would like to try it out.

3. 11Fletcher

11Fletcher Platinum Record

I'm not sure if that count as a DJ gear, but Pioneer DJ got the DJS-1000, which is a MPC style sampler that look like a CDJ (or the other way), I've seen some DJ using it as a live complement for their DJ set.

Also, if you want to purely DJ but with your usual producer interface, you can use Ableton Live, it use to be very common to see DJ using that as their main software for DJing, using a Push or any other controller. Basically you use each track like the way you would use different pattern. It give less freedom than a usual DJ gear, but if you're in an electronic genre with a small bpm range, it can be like a DJ set with unlimited FX (not above the limit of your computer spec though). It's a good start to DJing without the learning curve of new gear (if you already know Live of course).

For a more "DJ like" approach, I personnaly like Traktor DJ, it's a DJ software, but with producer in mind, it can do the basic track play, but also got a sampler that can program simple pattern, or you can play your loop, and it got a good range of FX, so you can mix like you're doing a live. On the hardware side, not much dedicated to this workflow (or to Traktor in general), but the S4 mk3 from Native Instrument can give you the best control of the software, or you can had their little controller like the D2, X1, F1 (and I forget the other one, but all from NI).

4. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

For basics, I would pick numark mix track pro and NI traktor. Easy hands on control and clear and simple GUI

5. justsomerandomdude

justsomerandomdude Rock Star

It depends on what u want to perform live. A little more info like what ur DAW is or gear u plan on using will get u more answers here, more than u expect.

6. behelit

behelit Noisemaker

apc40
    seek into LIVE sets and not dj mixing
    maybe?