Display problems... Graphics card failing?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by thepopenale, Nov 21, 2011.

1. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

I can barely see the screen as I type this.

I think the video/graphics card whatever, is pretty much shot on my home PC. The resolution is stuck at 640 x 480 and the display is totally distorted.

It started when I was watching a youtube video, it just froze. I shut it off and reboot and its all messed up.

This has happened a few times in the last few weeks, some times it fixes itself strangely. Ive downloaded and installed nVidia display drivers.

Sometimes its fixed, then it can crash and go back to the shoddy display.

Is it the video card? Can someone reccomend a cheap replacement. This comp is mainly used for internet and rarely for playing games. Low price is preffered here, not worried abvouyt playing games.

Cheers, help me! :wink:

EDIT: I just did a clean install of the nVidia drivers, reboot. Now my display is fine again but Ive been here almost a dozen times now. It will hold out for maybe a few days, then crash and display issues again.

3. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Do you know if your motherboard has a built-in graphics card? If so you can use that to replace this one. Also worth trying is changing the slot of your current card (if an extra one is available). Lastly, see if the fan of the card is failing, could be the overheat issue, has there been a significant rise in room temperature where the PC resides?

4. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

Im not too sharp on PC hardware.
    How do I find the graphics card? If I open the PC up what should I be looking for?
    O have no idea if the fan is failing...

There are definitely slots free, its a bog-standard Dell PC with Vista, maybe 4-5 years old.

Getting a new graphics card and installing it myself... possible or should I take it to a repair shop?

Thanks for your help

5. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

No need to open the casing, just check the rear of your PC for a similar slot to the one you connect your monitor cable in. A lot of budget motherboards feature built in sound, lan and graphics.

http://images.tigerdirect.com/itemdetails/C/C460/C460-1014/C460-1014-diagram-b-L.jpg
    http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-121-048-03.jpg

The VGA port is where the monitor cable goes.

6. staymunch

staymunch Newbie

getting a new graphics card and doing it your self is very simple and will save you loads of $ compared to a repair shop, the graphics card is either gonna be pci-express x16 or agp, most likely pci express, just look on your computer where your monitor is plugged into and thats the graphics card, all u gotta do is undo one screw thats holding it to the bracket in the back. and then pull it out from our computer... simpe fix

7. Bluespiral23

Bluespiral23 ex.mod

Hi here there is a howto with pictures:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2194488,00.asp :thumbsup:

I never used nvidia, i prefer ati.look at this one with 1gb memory and 2 displays support

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6450/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6450-overview.aspx

here on ebay, one of the cheapest:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/MSI-R6450-MD1GD3-LP-Radeon-HD-6450-1GB-64-bit-DDR3-PCI-Express-2-1-x16-HDCP-/270852304370?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3f100e2df2

Here on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=Radeon%20HD%206450&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

8. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Monitors also go bad....

9. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

@lampwiikk Im no expert but im almost positive its the graphics card.

Okay I checked the back of the comp and the monitor input (and another input) are one PCI slot. Pretty sure theyre separate from the rest of the stuff (USB, keyboard, mouse etc.)

Ive put in a USB2 PCI board before so Ill just get an entry level graphics card and pop it in myself.

Massive thanks to everyone for their help! :mates:

10. Mental Exchange Department

Mental Exchange Department Newbie

I would try updating from vista to windows 7 as it could be vista. I had all sorts of probs on my laptop. since I upgraded.It runs fine now. Or Uninstal drivers reload incase something is clashing (drivers).I have upgraded vista on towers with people who have had probs with vista and now they run ok.If none of the ubove work it could be monitor or grathics.Thats thing with it you have to try differnt things to make sure what the problem is.

11. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

I would have done it a year ago but its the family PC and there would be too much effort on my part, making sure everyone elses stuff remains intact.

Id have to deal with a mutiny!

12. ghost47

ghost47 Noisemaker

Do you have another monitor on a 2nd comP? Try that 1st, hardware then software, Should be your trouble shooting method I've been in the trouble shooting business over 15yrs never fail's...

13. Mental Exchange Department

Mental Exchange Department Newbie

When you load win 7 it will leave a folder called windows old, So you can revert back or transfer files to 7 .

14. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

try this:
    [​IMG]