Disk Drives

Discussion in 'PC' started by jefft, Jun 7, 2021.

1. jefft

jefft Producer

Hi, I have a desktop PC running an Intel i5, purely for music work. At the moment I have a
    C: drive100gb SSD that runs just the operating system (windoze 10)
    D: drive 250gb old SATA drive thats used for programs and VST's
    E: drive thats 1 TB for use as a sample library
    Now I have some spare cash to update this and was thinking about buying a SSD drive to replace my D: drive, would I gain anything from this? any thoughts? TIA

3. aplel1419

aplel1419 Kapellmeister

Yes you would. Running programs and VST's from SSD can potentially be much faster. Honestly speaking though, I would just replace your C: drive disk with a way bigger SSD (maybe something like 1tb or even 2tb) and install every program and VST on it, alongside your operating system. It's much easier to install VST's to their default locations, which usually is the drive your operating system is in.

4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Definitely worth it. Actually, it's all about the price. and the size of the SSD. The prices sometimes fluctuate a lot - less than 100 EUR for 1 TB is cheap. Crucial is good and inexpensive. I also replaced a Sata with an SSD. I use the old Sata as an archive for films etc.! Really noticeable increase in performance - loading times are shorter. Once SSD, always SSD ...!

Crucial MX500 1TB CT1000MX500SSD1-up to 560 MB / s (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 inch, internal SSD) - 91 EUR

5. jefft

jefft Producer

Lol, just ordered a 500 gb Crucial MX500, to replace the D: drive from Amazon, I shall now sell my body, to raise funds for a 2tb ssd for the E:drive. Arrives tommorow. Thanks for hopefully good advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List