Discontinued plug-ins, alternatives, lame developers/support etc.

Discussion in 'Software' started by D-Music, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Stanley Deviant

Stanley Deviant Newbie

- About Nomad... they still exist and even released, relatively recently, Garbage LSD and Magnetic II
    - The most OUTSTANDING quality FX plugins are URS ones. Although they are x32. Devs tried to release x64 saturator but it was mostly as giving a try, to look at sales maybe. Anyway, believe, it's worth bridging, except their EQs on Ableton. Somehow these are turning everything into mono after adding.
    - H.G. Fortune. Guy is awesome. It's pity He passed away. Great loss for music industry.

2. Tealla

Tealla Kapellmeister

Does anyone have MHC's Ambient Keys? I've always wanted that thing, but they dissolved before I was able to get it.

3. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

name of preset would prove useful

4. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Yeah, what happened to this one?! A few years back it was 'the' reverb to use (in a lot of tuts I watched at least).
    Last version (64 bit) is v1.6.0.15, going all the way back to 2013.

5. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca Rock Star

I have considered this but I would need to send the Hardware out to them, how would they reply to me to say they are willing to accept the challege, would they just reply to a generic email address? surely too risky for them?

6. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

I still have a copy of Embracer, I'll dig through it, find the preset and see what I can do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

Ok, I swore I made an effort (like 3 years ago or something) to find and make a note of what patch I used, so I opened Reaper, and there it was (Reaper is awesome, so lean on the cpu), I wrote the patch on the midi track: 3d Orthanc Pad. (Edit: nevermind my edit, I was right)

So, there it is. One thing that ocurred to me was to make an effort and get a PC machine from a friend or something, and then install the Embracer, and then make a biiiiig long note of the choir only, then the grainy synth, so I can combine them as I wish in the future.
    But also I would love to get probably an improved sound, specially for the synth (that still had grain, maybe it`s not grain, but has this grainy quality that I love).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  8. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

I uploaded a sample of how it sounds. And YES! The preset is 3d Orthanc Pad.
    I just realized since in Reaper 32bit plugins are bridged, the window showing the patches is not the same floating window the plugin resides... omg... Anyway, that patchs is the last on the list.

9. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

Sounds like old fashioned vocal pad with the specific vocoder airy touch...
    you should look at nexus 2 for that. VO Synthi Vox for instance
    and to get the real choir effect to mix with, you should get ElectoAir Vox and a OOHH women choir in omnisphere 2
    At least that's how i would proceed...

10. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Or equally just do it the age-old way we would do it, and have even more control.

11. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

can the code be manipulated to run x64? you would think that some code junkie smarter than me could make this one useable on newer systems. Can plugin architecture be changed to accommodate the new OS's out there today? Someone has GOT to figure out how to update discontinued plugins so they dont die in the ether.. Vanguard is an absolute beast with its own unique sound (and trancegate built in!!) I makde so many great tracks with it starting out in garageband back in the day.

32 lives doesnt work on the new arm chips for mac... only intel based chips... so can 32 bit plugins just be converted to 64 without the need for a wrapper (ie dump the code and essentially rebuild the plugin for new current machines... that would be a dream...

12. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

That are only Skins..!

Vanguard was a VSTi and AU software synthesizer created by Canadian independent publisher reFX and Markus Krause from Tone2 Audio. Discontinuation and current use: Vanguard was discontinued in 2016. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard_(synthesizer)

The announced Vanguard 2 never appeared. Only the Nexus has survived.

[​IMG]
    www.kvraudio.com/news/refx-announces-vanguard2-and-updates-nexus-to-v2-5-9-24694

More Skins:
    www.deviantart.com/daviladesigns/art/ReFX-Vanguard-Professional-Skin-THEGIANTS-Edition-568504107
    https://vstskins.com/refx-vanguard-quasar/
    www.deviantart.com/uodes/art/Uodes-reFX-Vanguard-538536638

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  14. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

was elicenser wasn't it?

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

The whole story with Camel Audio was a dick move. bought it like 6 months before they closed doors and outsold to apple. Its not aple to blame but CA.

16. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

it sucks doesnt it... how hard is it to dump the code form a 32bit plugin and make it 64bit compatible? I have no idea about how thta works... but I would think it could surely be done... R2R Vanguard 2.0 (64bit)... I would love to see that bless my screen some day...

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Ben the programmer worked on the Alchemy for 4 years. He has had little money to live on. He gave us all a new digital instrument, the Alchemy still works to this day. No company goes out of business on purpose, but if there is not
    enough demand for the product, the company disappears from the market. With it also jobs.

Ben has the concept and the copyright, and it is clear that he will sell it to the highest bidder. Mostly the "big ones" buy
    the "small ones". For the users of the Alchemy a pretty disaster, no updates, no bug fixes and no support anymore.

Conclusion; So many companies with know-how and so many synthesizers that have not been further developed.
    So much potential that lies fallow. Only the Vember Audio - Surge VSTi manufacturer gave his Surge, because
    of time mamgels, to the "Open Source" movement, which further developed and improved the Surge.

18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

SystemError...!

I once read that Markus Krause (now Tone2), have argued at reFX, in their former company and then
    Markus Krause, founded the company Tone2. This is such a sad. LinPlug has the Albino VSTi ,
    which really had potential, when he had closed his company LinPlug, co-buried.

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Actual not that easy, because most of these older plugins have their own GUI enviroment only the developer knows nobody else.

There is actual where JUCE comes in, Its multi-plattform, you write one code to rule them all (in that case almost all useful OS-plattforms for audio software)

@BEAT16 Yeah Albino was not further developed due to an inner dispute between Peter and Rob and since Linplug had the rights to Albino, Rob maybe could further develop it, because well Albino is still one of my favs to date, still very huge sound until today. (I only know one side of the story.)

@BEAT16 The problem was how they dealted with it. They closed forums, said nothing, just vanished. And thats something you shouldnt do. Hope Ben can now live a big life with the money Apple gave him for Alchemy's concept.

About Apple well, i wonder what would have been happened if Logic wasnt bought by apple? I mean it was so suprior back in the days, only imagine today?

There are not many companies, developers i really miss, most of them are maybe still here.

Hmm i am not really sure how hard it is to pursue a company producing/developing audio software/plugins.
    Could be hard if you have a niche product like Alchemy for example?
    Not sure how reFX is doing with its N4? (They surely came up with a great never ending reign of expansions, making Nexus so close synthesis minded)

Yes we can really be happy that Surge was released open source in some way, or also the whole vital synth idea.

20. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Torben Kjarerhus Larsen… you should google his name… after that, you probably don't want to touch these plugins ever again…

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List