Disco strings question

Discussion in 'Genre Specific Production' started by safran5020, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Of course. I wasn't aware I had restricted anything! You'd think after being here as long as I have, I'd know my way around this site.. but sadly I still haven't got a clue what I'm doing :))

2. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

Pretty good, I like the funky bass part :wink:

3. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Hey @Sylenth.Will.Fall , like it a lot. Boy, you are quick! :wink: The bass is funky and goes tight with drums. Also, I think the piano is nice with the right accents and all. The mix is different, but I'm not a mixnerd so it's totally non-important to me. If it's not a secret, can you tell how you did it. MIDI, score (I can't find the original score, just arrangements) ..the bass and piano really seem to be played-a-live :) Again, nice job! :yes:

4. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Can you define reconstructing?

5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Cheers buddy.

Thanks, yes I did it from a midi file. The bass was the Jaguar Slap (Modo Bass), and the piano was keyscape C7 Pop preset. Apart from EQ I didn't do anything else to bass or piano, the Strings were those Chamber Strings discussed earlier. in Alchemy. I changed a fair bit there though.

Yes. Rebuilding the instruments from midi, and then mastering it. Very little else, although, I have learned a huge amount from here in the past about trying to make it hard to work out whether or not it was from a midi.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  6. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Producer

You could also check out Big Fish Vintage 60s -70s strings for Kontakt.

Vintage Strings is a virtual instrument for Kontakt 5 designed to emulate the classic violin string section sounds of R&B, Soul, and Funk records from the 1960's and 1970's. Whether you're an experienced arranger or casual producer, Vintage Strings was designed to make it quick and easy for you to create great sounding string tracks for your productions. Like its sister product, Vintage Horns, Vintage Strings was not designed to be a shiny, perfect sounding virtual instrument. Instead, we tried to capture the way string sections sounded back in the '60s and '70s; including the decidedly not classical playing style and minor imperfections that added character to those sections and made them sound so good.

For Vintage Strings we recorded a 6 piece violin section using vintage Neuman U-87 mics and Royer ribbon mics run through a great sounding SSL board. To capture a true vintage string sound, we used close mics, room mics, and string section positioning based on actual session notes from old Motown and Philly Soul recording sessions. Rather than record the violins in a magnificent concert hall or some other large and resonant recording space, we recorded our players in a funky old studio with a smaller, less-reverberant room that had characteristics similar to the rooms used to record classic Soul and R&B records.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Thanks for the info. It sound nicely done.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  8. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

Thanks man, I just found it and downloading it right at this moment. I will try it later on. :wink:

9. Midge F

Midge F Platinum Record

This was the one I was thinking of!

10. TonyG

TonyG Guest

While some artists during that era used real strings some others did not. Bands like GQ,Foxy, Heatwave, Ohio Players used synths for their strings. For example, in the song "Disco Nights" by GQ Crumar Orchestrator was used. Other widely used synth for strings in Disco recordings was ARP Sting Ensemble also known as the Solina String Esemble.

11. haility

haility Newbie

Last edited: May 18, 2019