Disappearing .dll s

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by superliquidsunshine, Apr 7, 2013.

1. In the last few days I have noticed that a few Native Instruments vst's have literally disappeared from my hard drive. B4 II, Reactor, Battery 3 to name a few. Has anybody else experienced the same thing?

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

when they are patched - your anti virus has maybe deleted them

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Aliens abducted them? :)

Or Norton antivirus, most probably. It's well known that Norton likes to delete stuff whenever it feels like.

5. DJ_Digital

DJ_Digital Newbie

the phone home listed in your hosts file, allowed a script to make them inoperable- they are still there

6. They are not there, really. Nor has my anti-virus program taken them as there is no entry in the log that this happened. From one day to the next they are gone. Aliens, maybe, but there must be some other explanation.

7. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

did you download/install anything just before you noticed this? are your daws blocked from accessing the internet? has your antivirus updated itself in the last few days? (and has performed a system check?) have you tried using the restore function in windows?

8. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

Never forget about..........Ghost in the machine.!

9. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Superliquid23,

Do you have tried to 'legally' register another Native Instruments product(s) in the meantime ?
    I mean, perhaps a 'FREE Player' version, or another kind of Sound Library,... requiring to be registered via the 'NI Service Center' ?
    Because in many cases, when you use the 'NI Service Center' to connect to Native Instruments, the app can easily detect that you're using some (or many !) of 'not so legitimate' versions of their products ! And this could be (not sure !), one of the main reasons of your trouble.
    By the way, are you using other NI Products of that kind ('VSTi/VST Plugins'), and have you noticed if they have also disappeared ?

10. I have not registered any nATIVE iNSTR. at all. However I have downloaded the solid series to see how they sounded before I buy (from this site). Maybe that is the basis of my woe. Really, they just disappeared. I never realized, if that is the reason, that this was possible. I only wonder if anyone else has had the same thing happen. My firewall blocks everything so it is not a phone home issue (any time I am on the daw I am not connected to the outside world). Oh well.

11. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Superliquid23,

I can guess that you have downloaded the demo versions of this 'Solid Series', therefore you certainly had to register them, or at least follow some procedures asked by the 'NI Service Center', to get them available as demo for a certain period of time within your system, and this is certainly from where has come the failure...
    Native Instruments has certainly discovered that you was using 'not legitimate' versions of their products !

A very wise method... but you have been certainly connected at least the time to register this 'Solid Series' for demo purposes, isn't ?

12. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

there you go, problem solved

13. Hey Studio 555, I never had to go to the Service Center due to the patch. However i guess that the same mechanism might be at work. Thanks to all that have put in their 2 cents, it is much appreciated.