Direct vs Indirect sound, is there any mixing monitoring volume at which the room does not make such

Discussion in 'Studio' started by samsome, Mar 19, 2022.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

hi i'm learning further about treating the room and all that....but for now

i wanted to know, is there any mixing monitoring volume at which the room does not make such a big impact?

i mean it would be a low volume...so that the most sound you hear is direct from my understanding

but from what level of volume does it start becoming a problem is what i'm trying to ask...so that the indirect sound starts to become a problem

is there any study on this or something, thanks

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The correct monitoring level in the studio

It is important to monitor at a constant level throughout the mixing process in the recording studio or home studio. This level should also have a certain volume. This is because our hearing is not equally sensitive to all frequencies at every volume. The louder we listen, the more we perceive the bass. So we hear more bass in the studio than is actually there. We would mix the low frequencies too soft. In the opposite case, if we listen too softly, we mix the basses too loudly.

In addition, loud listening has two other disadvantages:

- The louder we listen, the faster our hearing gets tired
    - Listening loudly damages our hearing

To know how loud it really is, we need a level meter. I have a level meter from Teufel. I set this to 80, C-weighted and to a slow response time. This is very close to human hearing. The volume is then set so that the level meter shows a volume between 80-87 dB SPL. Why this particular volume? At this level we hear the frequencies most balanced.

The perceived frequency response at different volumes is shown in the Fletcher-Munson curve. This illustrates that 80-87 dB SPL represents the most balanced (optimal) frequency range for our hearing.
    The curve and the corresponding explanation is shown at Wikipedia (Fletcher-Munson curve).

The volume of 83 dB SPL sounds very loud to you.

The 83 dB sounds very loud to you? Today's songs are very compressed. Such songs have an overall average level that is too high. This can also damage your ears in the long run, just because of listening fatigue. Dynamic songs only occasionally reach the perceived level of 83 dB SPL. Such dynamic songs sound great at the 83 dB SPL level and do not damage your ears with the occasional bursts to the peak level. In addition, you may be listening very close. In that case, it is recommended to calibrate your loudspeaker (per speaker) to 77 dB SPL.
    Conclusion: A sound pressure level of 80-87 dB SPL is ideal.

Try it: buy a sound level meter and make sure you have a sound pressure level of 80-87 dB SPL all the time when mixing. If you find yourself turning up the volume, it's time for a break. A short walk, for example, helps. Especially since you're supposed to walk 10,000 steps every day for your health. When listening to the bass drum solo, turn it up a bit. However, the 87 dB SPL should not be exceeded.