Digitech Talker in VST format

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by anthony doyle, Jun 7, 2018.

1. anthony doyle

anthony doyle Kapellmeister

Hi, this is the vocoder that daft punk used on discovery and I actually own it but I'm getting a tonne of background noise and hiss whenever I try to record, does anyone know a vst that I could get that would be similar, I already have orange vocoder which is nice but I'd really like something very similar to the digitech talker vocoder(but in vst format) if one exists. Thanks. It really is a beautiful sounding vocoder.

3. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

I don't think there are any that model that particular vocoder. But there are relatively configurable vocoder plugins available that may be able to produce a similar sound.

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Vocoder?
    Why not go for the real deal with a Talkbox instead? Sounds so much better. And it's more fun.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Not sure about too much about talkboxes. But I know that when they came out, they had the tendency to destroy guitar amps unless used properly. So, be careful with them. Anything that controls voltage like that needs to be used very carefully. Maybe things have advanced since then (like the rocktron stuff). But you might want to look into it before taking the plunge.

6. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

How bad are the hiss and artifacts in the recording? Most times that's just a byproduct of analog awesomeness. Stuff like Izotope RX could possibly fix if its not too bad, otherwise I would look into what is causing the noise.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

What background noise/hiss? If you are using a mic like SM58 or SM7b then you should get absolutely zero noise, since your modulator (your voice) is as close as it can be to your mic, and thus should have zero bleed/ambience/noise.
    Your carrier (your synth) is electric so unless your synth is microphonical you shouldn't get any noise there.

Edit: Maybe you have bad gain-staging? Try increasing the volume of your carrier (your synth) into your Talker so see if that fixes it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  8. anthony doyle

Thanks for all the feedback,@Baxter I have the rocktron banshee talkbox that that youtuber Lorenz Rhodes uses for faster better faster stronger, it is an awesome talkbox which I love for alot of sounds especially anything funky but I like vocoders too. @KungPaoFist The feedback has been there since I got the unit but I hadn't used it for a while, turned it on and it seemed to have gotten way worse to the point where it wold be really difficult to edit it out. I'm just looking at my set up thinking why did it get so much worse, it might be a bad cable or something.

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Uhm, feedback? You generally use headphones when recording talkbox and vocoders. No wonder you get leaks and feedback. :D

10. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

If it got worse then I'd agree, could definitely be something like a cable or the keyboard or interface ports needing to be cleaned or something.
    I had a progressively worse hiss on a Korg and took it to a Guitar Center repair shop where they replaced the ports really cheap, might be the same situation if I'm understanding correctly.

Please don't stop using that board though!

11. zib

zib Platinum Record

Check this video with a french band rock cover using EHX Iron Lung

12. anthony doyle

"Uhm, feedback? You generally use headphones when recording talkbox and vocoders. No wonder you get leaks and feedback. :D"

I have an sm57 plugged into the digitech talker (Mic input) for the vocals, then, a mininova synth signal plugged into the digitech talker (Instrument input) for the synth, then I have a guitar cable going from digitech talker(amp ) out straight into my usb audio interface(focusrite), I have also plugged it into a clean amplifier to get a different option. There is a tiny bit of noise from the mininova but it becomes huge when plugged into the digitech talker to the usb audio interface or going to an amplifier which wasn't happening before. I record with headphones in the computer so I can hear what I'm saying and theres no other noise coming from the speakers toward the microphone that would add noise.

"If it got worse then I'd agree, could definitely be something like a cable or the keyboard or interface ports needing to be cleaned or something.
    I had a progressively worse hiss on a Korg and took it to a Guitar Center repair shop where they replaced the ports really cheap, might be the same situation if I'm understanding correctly. "
    @KungPaoFist: Yup, I think it might be this exact problem but with the ports of the mininova generating hiss because it was much better and cleaner before with the same set up. I live in Ireland where there isn't any guitar centers but I'll look into finding someone around where I live to fix it. I tried using a guitar with the vocoder before and I found the synth was far superior.

If people on this thread are fans of vocoders you might like this performance with the ablteon live vocoder.

13. anthony doyle

"I don't think there are any that model that particular vocoder. But there are relatively configurable vocoder plugins available that may be able to produce a similar sound."

@armyofninjas: What are your favourite vocoder plugins ? I use orange vocoder and manipulator.

14. El digital

El digital Ultrasonic

Best Answer
    You should use a balanced XLR cable (P.A. Output) instead of a guitar cable to connect the Talker to your Focusrite. And disconnect everything else from the Focusrite to troubleshoot your problem. If the problem persist, it's probably a ground issue. You could then try a box like this : https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/373746-REG/Behringer_HD400_MicroHD_HD400_Hum_Eliminator.html between the mininova and the Talker and/or between the Talker and the Focusrite using XLRF to TRS/TRS to XLRM cables.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  15. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

could he possible feed it pink noise to grab it's tone to use as a carrier signal for another vocoder?

image-line's vocoder accepts side-chain carrier signals.

this would also eliminate/mask the noise since pink noise is full spectrum

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Errr... The talkbox is NOT a vocoder and viceversa. The talkbox is much harder to play and get used to, no matter what instrument you play. Daft Punk use both and you can get decent results with both, depending the sound you wanna emulate. As for renditions of Daft Punk sounds this guy with a bass vocoder is quite good :

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. anthony doyle

@El digital: "You should use a balanced XLR cable (P.A. Output) instead of a guitar cable to connect the Talker to your Focusrite. And disconnect everything else from the Focusrite to troubleshoot your problem. If the problem persist, it's probably a ground issue. You could then try a box like this".

Thats a great idea, thanks.

You could then try a box like this : https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/373746-REG/Behringer_HD400_MicroHD_HD400_Hum_Eliminator.html between the mininova and the Talker and/or between the Talker and the Focusrite using XLRF to TRS/TRS to XLRM cables.

Another Solid idea, thanks.

18. statik

statik Audiosexual

you could also try lector, waldorf's vocoder vst

the demonstration is in german but it has subtitles