Different Orchestral Sounds?

Discussion in 'Acoustic' started by flworius, Jul 4, 2017.

?

What do you use for Orchestral Arrangments?

1. One Library for all

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Different Libraries thrown together

16 vote(s)
    94.1%
  1. flworius

flworius Member

How do you approach when you use different Libraries like Strings from Albion, Brass from NI and so on ?
    Do you disable reverb on the plugin and send them all to an external to make them appear in the same room?
    How unpractical is it to use Orchestral Sounds from all around instead of having one library that delivers everything?
    Would you prefer the difficulty of using different libraries that were recorded different angles, in different rooms etc. , and bringing them together to get the maximum (cause this library has all those great expressions, the other all that powerfull brass) or is it more usefull to find one library that delievers all and maybe dont get a 100% expression, but its more convient and sounds more like one piece?

(btw. I have a lot of differnt libraries from audioz, but only onoe that is a full orchestra, East West Symphony - takes uo 70gb of my HD but I cant get it to run - seems to have all the files, but the Interface inKontakt doesnt seem to work - anyone maybe knows about that issue? )

regards

3. C7

C7 Member

I'm currently using CineSamples for all sections of the orchestra, and though I wish their strings had more articulations and did non-legato/détaché bowing better I still can create convincing mockups using only their libraries. I only use their close mic'd samples though and use separate plugins for the early reflections and the tail. I can easily add a piano or any other relatively close mic'd sample library and have it blend since I do it this way.

If I am trying to add an instrument that was recorded with more natural reverb then I will adjust the decay time in my early reflections and reverb tail in my mockup to match that of the wet samples. The rooms don't really need to be identical just close and the instruments should be able to blend well.

Mixing
    As I stated, I use the close perspectives where available for each of the instruments/sections. I then situate them on a virtual sound stage using Parallax-Audio VirtualSoundStage Pro v2.0; this basically tweaks the early reflections, dynamics, and panning of the instruments to realistically position them in a room. Finally I place a single reverb tail, in which I disable the early reflections and dry signal, on the whole mix using Audioease Altiverb 7.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

@flworius
    Hi, unfortunately I don't have much time to write about my experience.. just - of course many (even pros) use different libraries. Not only that, but e.g. libraries + live recordings. I had a "tutorial" that was just about this, but can't find it ATM.. Read very fast what C7 wrote and I think he has some good points and advices in his post. I'll try to find which tut it was, meanwhile you might want to watch this video by Bobby Fernandez (has 3 Grammys – Clint Eastwood, Danny Elfman, Brian Tyler ...I don't, LOL):

Symphonic Virtual Orchestration

5. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

I'm using the close mics (lass or spitfire chamber stings, cinebrass) and add reverb to taste (or not). Also, always disable the internal convolution in Kontakt - it's a waste of CPU - you will probably want to send all the channels to a single reverb.

6. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

Has anyone watched the Alexander Publishing "Visual Orchestration 3: DOING The Basic Virtual Orchestral Mix" series? Is it useful for learning how to mix different libraries?

7. virtualsound100

virtualsound100 Member

I use different Librarys, my reason is that Sample presets from only one particular library, is a restriction to produce.
    I´m use not only close mic, sometimes close mic with Room or Ambience from whose Library, but most i routing to Impulse Response plugin ( send effect ) and to a extra Bus Track with VirtualSoundStage 2.0 for Pan and Room position and this to pre-send effect for Tail from H-Reverb or Altiverb.