Differences between mixcube and filter on masterbus

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Swg Itsyo, Sep 7, 2024.

1. Swg Itsyo

Swg Itsyo Member

Hello! Can you tell me the difference between buying a mixcube (avantone, auratone or anything) and just put a filter on masterbus and hearing by my monitors?
    Using a 6db/oct slope will result in a gentle and natural result? Am I missing something?

3. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

Best Answer
    -Single driver, so no crossover, avoiding frequency overlap or holes around the crossover frequency
    -No port, avoiding phase issues or overemphasis of frequencies around the port tuning frequency

Only a sealed, single driver design can offer these advantages. Simply limiting the frequency range of your monitors can't give you these things. Will it help you produce better mixes? Maybe.

4. Orglblork

Orglblork Ultrasonic

I really like listening to my mixcubes. Like just listening to whatever on them. They have this cozy sound that I find comforting. Mine are really sensitive to RF noise though so theyre currently not hooked up. A filter on your master won't do that lol

Also, unless you used an IR you wouldn't get the speaker's real eq spectrum (and probably not even with an IR). They have a lot of small deviations from flat, of course like every speaker. In this case I find those deviations useful.

Either way, I always have them hooked up as a pair but often use only one, in mono or even just listening to one side of the stereo mix. I do this with any monitor.

5. Swg Itsyo

Swg Itsyo Member

Thank you for your help! Now it's more clear, I think I'm gonna go with the auratone 5c active seems more accurate than avantone, have you any informations about it? :)

6. Orglblork

Orglblork Ultrasonic

I haven’t heard them but have read probably the same stuff you’ve read (I was interested in them after the RF noise thing started)