Difference between Focusrite Scarlett and Behringer UMC sound?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Kuuhaku, Jan 30, 2021.

1. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

This. I mean the audio chips on modern computers are fine on paper, but the issue is electrical interference coming from motherboard. I've yet to hear a quiet motherboard, leading me to believe such things don't exist.

An external audio interface fixes this, and pretty much all of them are superior in performance in comparison.

2. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

No one can. :)
    48 kHz sampling is enough to reproduce a bandlimit up to over 20 kHz (Nyquist–Shannon) plus some space for converters to lowpass.

It's just handy when you work completely in more than 48 kHz, so that oversampling might get dispensable. I wouldn't bother with that too much, though.

3. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Oh, I usually work with audio at 24bits 48khz so I probabilly wouldnt need that, thanks for the explanation :)

4. 9000k

9000k Producer

if this is right you should leave it asap

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

Gahahahah, you made me laugh so hard I cried so much... hahaahhaha... then what the fcuk are you doing on this board? haahahah, tired of spending that much dough you have made?!?!?! hahahahhahah

6. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

I can, but I feel it's not that it's a night and day change. Is VERY subtle and I don't think it matters in a way.
    I feel it has to do with how the interface was done/designed. As in I feel 96khz somehow an interface works better audio wise (as in
    processing it).
    But 48khz is just fine.

And the differences in interfaces so far to me have been more about the Audio Signature, as in some are warmer, some are more brittle, some
    give you more details and sound with more "finesse", some sound more tinner, etc.
    And this is all using headphones, where I have found a giant difference between interfaces.
    But in monitors the difference is not that big.
    Whatever.

Be it as it may (I don't have the absolute truth) is that whatever interface you buy you will realize later down the road you will want something different (but not necessarily better).

7. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

Omg, great comeback mate, hhahahaha, you just showed I was right about you guys being illiterate...

Whatever... you have provided great insight to the OP... oh wait.. have you? :rofl:

8. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

Stop wasting your time, knobhead.
    I only come here on mixing break. Just like many professionals on Gearslutz and other audio forums.

9. ADiSH

ADiSH Ultrasonic

Can you hear the difference in a blind test?

10. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

entre os dois MOTU 2's ou 4's sem discussão! "drivers" fantásticos

11. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

MY 2 cents
    I have the more expensive Focusrite pro 40. Before that I had a I88x which was around the same price. The I88x lasted about 1 or 2 years since Yamaha did not update the drives for win 10. The Pro 40 is still going strong and no issues.

Now today I defiantly would say the DAC chip sets are pretty much all about the same. It all about drivers and future OS drivers.

I have a Behringer ADA8200 8 expansion unit with the Midas pres. It's hooked up via optical to the pro 40 for external midi gear.
    Comparing the 2 I think they are about equal. The pro 40 has more gain on the instrument input but I really can not hear a difference in quality recording into either.

Final thought, I like the focus rite rock solid for me and over 8 plus years. Yes it was more expensive but if you divide 500 by the time you have it, it is the cheaper unit.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  12. Illadelph

Illadelph Producer

Yes, they all use mostly the same chips, so preamps are the only difference,

and most importantly the drivers if you are on windows, thats why RME are so good

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Yes RME are very good from what I hear. For me I will go thunderbolt since my new pc has it and the latency is better than USB and fire wire which is what I have now. BI am in no rush to upgrade thought since everything is working great.

14. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

I used to own a UMC22 but the USB socket got so loose after a year or so (USB 2.0 Type B) that the device would disconnect itself if you touched the cable only the slightest bit. I then switched to a Scarlett Solo Gen 3 with USB-C and it was totally worth it for the USB-C alone and I'm getting a lower latency too.

15. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

24bits is mandatory
    Not 96kHz+

About Behringer : i found the instrument input more "muffled" than Scarlett
    But on the other side, Scarlett v1 2i2 saturate on instrument input ...

On mic inputs, they are almost the same sounding
    Side note : Scarlett are overpriced
    And some others are EVEN more overpriced

16. ballinthejack

ballinthejack Member

I have the Behringer UMC404HD. Worth every penny! I use a headphone (x4) amp with it, marvellously better. Best price/performance of them all.

17. Illadelph

Illadelph Producer

learn how to solder a new jack in!