Did you know midi guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Blue, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Hi everybody!

It's the first time I see something like this,a midi guitar!Very Interesting stuff for guitarists,you can record your synths with this guitar:
    [​IMG]
    https://jamstik.com/

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Haliax

Haliax Guest

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

3 1/2 tones, that's a bit short to "play guitar" lol

indded, roland does the GR series but it has latency problems when it comes to strong and fast attacks to be really responsive.
    however, you can mix both signal ( guitar + midi ) and it's interesting creatively

there's also a few brands out there of who make "complete" midi guitar, you just have to plug a midi cable.. about how efficient they are, I don't know much

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

Roland GK-2A

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. sir jack spratsky

sir jack spratsky Producer

the ants pants

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. scrappy

scrappy Platinum Record

bowels of the skullery at the court of king boris
    plus 2 for (most of) the roland and godin hardware.
    i've been using my GI10 interface and GR50 guitar synth for years to trigger other synths. of course there is latency, but it's all about the feel, approach, playing style/ability and, of course, correct setup.
    (i also use a VG88 v2 which i picked up used for under £50 [which isn't a midi trigger, admittedly, but requires a GK split pickup] and a GR33 synth which i got for 40 quid).
    I also have a GR20 that i got at a car boot sale for less than a fiver including a GK2A pickup. but it's a bit, well, pooh so it doesn't get much use.
    I've used combinations of these regularly in all my work over the years and would have to say i haven't even explored anywhere near the full extent of the sonic possibilities of layering 'em together, let alone the limitless possibilities of mixing 'em with vst synths.
    if the jamstik thing does it for you, all well and good, but it does seem pretty expensive for a device that is basically for triggering using a 40 year old serial protocol.:)
    Plus, I wouldn't give it more than five minutes at a rowdy gig before it's twatted.:winker:
    and bear in mind that you can pick up used roland hardware for much, much less.
    If you wanna go mental and spend a fortune, you might as well go for something like the
    Fishman TriplePlay Wireless MIDI Guitar Controller or a Godin guitar.
    best info i can find about all things virtual guitar is the vguitar forum here:
    https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php
    good luck folks

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  8. Kingvrage

Kingvrage Kapellmeister

Iv'e been wiating for them to release the 12 fret forever now. there is a pre-order/waiting list you can join. as of now your best option is to just get an I2M midi converter. I have one and it gets the job done. fits in your pocket too.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Kingvrage

Kingvrage Kapellmeister

watch this, its only monophonic but its as fast as youll get without drilling into or gluing shit to your axe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. orgcha

orgcha Ultrasonic

I also have the Sonuus i2M but the best thing I have yet to find (at least for recording) is the JamOrigin MIDI Guitar 2 software. It's totally polyphonic and now that the major bugs have been worked out it's the best 99 dollars you'll ever spend.
    jamorigin.com

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Jim_T87

Jim_T87 Member

I would never waste that much money on the sonuus with S+H and import fees it's way too expensive over 130 dollars, for just a mono interface, this thing should not cost more than 25 Dollars with maybe 10 Dollars S+H. The JamOrigin software MIDI Guitar is a much better deal and If you want something even better then there's the Fishman Triple play. Just my personal opinion.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. sevente

sevente Kapellmeister

I've been checking out the Boss GT-100, as I've been thinking of switching back to a multi-FX - it has a guitar to midi function, only monophonic but again, you don't need an extra pickup or a separate instrument.
    If you're thinking about dropping $279 on a jamstik, you could probably get a GT-100 2nd hand for not much more than that, and you'd have a powerful FX processor to boot.
    Just something to think about.

13. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

the sonnus is interesting , but polyphony is the key when it comes to synth, so, .. I don't know.
    I will take a better look at the JamOrigin to have an idea ( P.S : these chapman sticks are incredible :yes: )

for years I thought of some kind of connected wrap-up one could add to the fretboard - a bit like an ultra thin plastic wrap - that could be pressure sensitive for velocity, help adjust the bends..
    mixed with a captor like Roland's, with the right-coded software, both new material technologies and processors would allow that, but it would cost an arm in development for a very limited niche market, unfortunately.

or maybe some laser stuff on the head of the guitar, at this point, who knows :woot::unsure::knock:

have fun, guys

14. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I tired the older ones Rolad stuff that is. It did not track my playing very well. I have had great fun with midi jam 2.0 and my real guitar.

15. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

16. Zikkk

Zikkk Platinum Record

Why bother buying some ugly gadget while you can have your own guitar with Midi Guitar 2 and do a better job? Jamstick is most useful when you don't have a real guitar nearby, for example when travelling.

Just for fun: I have this crazy thing (Casio Dg10) and play it once in a while.The sound is horrible, but it's just for fun. Well, it's not MIDI, but the concept is similar.

102716096p-03-03.jpg

17. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Well,I think the jamstick is more fore beginners who are on the learning guitar.And yes it's expensive and seems poor quality.All the things you are talking about seem more accomplished.
    I don't play guitar and so I didn't know all these midi controllers for guitars.

18. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I think midi guitar interfaces have had their day and software has caught up with them - also these midi guitar interfaces are essentially using software anyway. The hardware is becoming redundant. The only advantage I can think of still is to transmit each string on a different midi channel but how useful is that really? I used a Roland GR50 (still have it!) back in the '80s live in a covers band, mostly for string sounds and one lead part - the sax in Sledgehammer. Being a guitar band it confused the audience, they didn't know where the sound was coming from.

19. scrappy

scrappy Platinum Record

bowels of the skullery at the court of king boris
    Hhmm, thems were the daze...
    http://www.myrareguitars.com/1988-casio-mg-500-midi-guitar
    :bleh: fugly, fugly, fug-lee.
    also, search the
    CASIO DG-7
    (the DG-1 was as long ago as 1980 i think:excl:).
    I saw one in real life once. it was in the window of a toyshop.
    Like Garlic Bread, i thought it t'were future.:rofl:

20. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

21. Kingvrage

Kingvrage Kapellmeister

I bought mine new for $40 back in 2012