DI BOX's

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by wasgedn, Oct 4, 2018.

1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I too am a long time Radial user, i have various DI boxes including Radial's excellent guitar re-amping DI.
    May i suggest Radial's Key Largo ? It is not cheap at about 450 eu, but it is a keyboard mixer/DI, usb audio interface and comes with Class A circuitry. Can't get more transparent and clean signals.
    I tested it recently and despite the plastic knobs that sort of put me off in the beginning, it is a great and unique piece of gear. In my wish list atm. Review here:
    https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/radial-key-largo
    Cheers:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I've already got several inexpensive passive DI Boxes. I just ran across this on the cheap. It's sold as a tube preamp, but I should be able to use it as a DI as well as add some tube warmth. It should be able to handle re-amping duties as well. I see them usually going for $40 or so.
    Might even try a different tube in it...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  4. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

yea man mucho thx top notch information...:mates:

hhmm they altered to a more of realy good company again...we will see how long...but at moment they drop only hot shit...

5. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I´ve used to own one of these, really nice, coupled with ribbon mic

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You've coupled these with ribbon mics? Interesting. What kind of ribbon mics?

7. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

In my experience these are quite noisy. So, particularly if you plan to use it with a guitar and like high gain sounds this may not be what you want.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I was student back then, so cheapest one t.bone RB500.
    I did some guitar tracking i.e Guitar rig 3 -> Orange Crush 12 -> RB500 -> Art tube amp -> DAW
    I tried to find audio examples, but couldn´t find them

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  9. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I really like the way you think, love the 3200 posts and now this. I think you're on to something, above my paygrade at the moment but respect!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

depends on actual output you get from the instrument::

1) instrument guitar level output - TS jack, unbalanced, weak signal, catches noise on signal path, needs amplification
    2) stereo headphone output - TRS jack, unbalanced, relatively strong signal, catches noise on signal path, provides both left and right channel
    3) casual instrument line outs on keys/synths - pair of TS jacks, unbalanced, relatively strong signal, catch noise on signal path
    4) higher-end line outs on keys/synths - pair of TRS jacks, balanced, relatively strong signal path, do not catch noise on signal path

DI boxes by design merge any (or all) of those into microphone-level inputs on mix consoles,
    most audio interfaces offer switching between instrument and line jack inputs, so those can be used for 1), 3), 4) mentioned above, directly,
    if an interface has only line inputs, then only 3), 4)
    if an interface has stereo jack input (doesn't matter if small or big jack), then only 2) can be plugged

if you want to loop let's say guitar to your interface, record it directly, but also send it to a guitar amp, you would need either additional Reamp box, or at least DI which can split the signal and pass-thru the input

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Yep he's gone over the top with those Akais but hey hardware has a unique inspiring feel to it, i agree he's onto something hehehe :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

thx mate...appreciate youre words.....
    for break ,i did some decision in past which brings me some finance room at the moment..normaly i couldnt effort too..i saw video on yt...the comments where joking bout the guys thin arms and that he should eat more and not spend all money on gear lol....i livin pretty limited too at moment...heh heh..but i just want to get my shit together...it goes slow but next year....

next year my friend...
    next year i make session 24/7:rofl::hillbilly::metal:

13. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

nope...i just had no german manual...and i would be pretty dumb to not buy the second for 180 with 2 boards in it which can be sold for 150 and 250...
    second point ...i dont send my akai through country to get an emulator...
    the only thing whats gone over top is time.....i get youre point...trust me i do...:hillbilly:
    EDIT but i guess i misstranslated he gone over the top on first read sry :deep_facepalm:
    EDIT EDIT the first time over fly read mode :facepalm:...and the neighbours cat at the window and my cat in background screaming was transmit negative energie he he..sry..

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  14. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Yeah, I primarily grabbed it for live usage. A little color on the vocals. Or maybe the acoustic. Noise seems to be part of the deal when you go with tubes in hi-gain applications.
    But I may use it for recording. Currently I have two ART MPA Pro's for preamp duties when recording. But if I run out of inputs recording drum tracks, this might help for that too. I'll have to test it with my ribbon mic also.
    I thought it was an interesting piece in that it will impedance match much like a DI would.

• List