Device connected to TV that'll play various video formats off a HDD?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by mr.personality, Dec 18, 2021.

1. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

Not really hip to any of this tech. Looking around it's a bit confusing as to what brand/model device I should specifically go after because searching for 'hardware media player' is too broad a term. (streaming channel devices, portable players, software players like vlc)

I'm not interested in all those devices that do netflix, amazon, etc etc etc streaming. I want a device that I can connect a hard drive to that I have movies & tv in assorted formats (mp4, mkv, avi,ts, etc etc), that connects to a tv via hdmi, and with a remote that I assume will let me scroll through my HD or something then hit play on that file.

Is there a specific name to search for that besides generic 'media player box/hardware''? Any specific brand/model to recommend? In the $50 - $150 range?

TIA

3. Lagring

Lagring Ultrasonic

For that exact purpose I've been using Kodi on a MINIX Neo U1 for a few years with zero issues.

1. MINIX connected via HDMI to tv.
    2. External HDD connected via USB to router.
    3. Folder on HDD shared over SAMBA on router.
    4. Shared folder added as a source in Kodi.
    5. Scroll and hit play.

4. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

I am partial to full blown computers myself :) Since I am running a HTPC with my TV. But as far as those media players go, I suppose the Nvidia Shield would be a very good choice.

5. peterA

peterA Platinum Record

To play films and TV programmes I simply connect an external hard drive to the usb port on my LG television then use the TV remote to select the drive and scroll through the recordings. I know some televisions (probably older models) can't handle a large drive so use a usb stick instead.

6. panaman

panaman Kapellmeister

any linux based satellite receiver aka dreambox clone.
    they have other advantages too, not cheap but worth it

7. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

Thanks all. The term I'm looking for seems to be 'local network media player'. Apparently some streaming devices do both as well.
    Yes, I've been using a pc laptop connected to a tv to watch stuff I've downloaded for years. I'm just looking to have another tv setup in another part of my home available in place that's inexpensive so I don't have to be constantly unplugging, moving things back and forth from one area to another.

Specifically an area more conducive to watching guitar instruction vids... where my amps are located and proper seating.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  8. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I know it's not quite what you described, but i personally run a Plex server (free version) on my desktop then run the Plex client on a fire stick connected to my tv. Plex client is available for a lot of different devices, including some smart TVs. It can all work over wifi.

Fire stick is nice because they're dirt cheap and they'll control many different home theater devices quite well.

I've done all sorts of things from Android boxes like minix / Kodi boxes, and other media players, and personally, I just found the combo of Plex + FireStick works great for me for watching everything.. movies off a HD on my desktop and movies on streaming services. YMMV.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Joe_sleaze

Joe_sleaze Producer

It's called a Mediaplayer, I have one by Mede8ter(bought 10 yrs back, still in perfect order), very nice plays virtually any format, at a good price. Still being sold as far as I know.

10. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

Thanks fellas. Will check out your suggestions

11. Odious Blot

Odious Blot Member

12. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

A hdd connected to a TV via USB or a router and then ethernet to a TV was sufficient for me.

13. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

the android tv boxes are probably what you are looking for, as long as the hdd is usb connected, use one myself with usb memory sticks to watch downloaded content (no smart tv), you don't have to connect it to the internet (streaming services) but you are missing out on a lot of stuff, YT, web browsing, games, etc etc etc (you may need to connect it to the internet to download your favourite media player software)

nice and cheap, and if you have owned and used an android phone, you should have no issues using the device

you will also need to get a wireless mini keypad to be able to use it with the tv

14. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Not what you're asking but I just want to point out an issue with live streaming from a computer via HDMI - it can cause audio sync problems. I have this with my own setup, especially streaming live sports from a web site. The solution is to change the audio output format but I couldn't find a way to do that when streaming from a site. I solved it by using my default PC audio device rather than HDMI, which isn't ideal.

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

The company that installed my router, installed a tuner, too, which has a USB storage and can play all kinds of files, with a remote. I don't use it ,though. That plasticy thingie couldn't cost more than 15 euro or so. Many TVs come with a USB port and you can play files from a USB flash drive or HDD, or SDD.

But what @Lagring said is cheap and great solution if you don't have a DVB-T tuner or a USB port. MINIX running Kodi [great software with lots of plugins etc. ] connected to router, then connect your computer to router and share a folder through Samba [SMB] protocol and off you go. MINIX works with any universal remote if you buy a USB remote controller.

Lots of possibilities these days. Instead of MINIX you could use Raspberry Pi with Kodi. That's pretty popular, too. :wink:

I just watch everything on my 27" monitor, directly from HDD, or NAS, or Internet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

Any Android TV Box/Android Stick should be able to play local files via USB. If you don't like Android you could also get a Raspberry Pi 4 and install Kodi on it.

17. fishnose

fishnose Producer

I have a little box called Xoro. It has remote, tuner for TV, USB ports etc. I can connect a USB stick to it or a USB HDD and look at mkv etc through it. And record, which I do all the time.
    Xoro has numerous varieties of models like this with different combinations of functions - media players, tuners etc. Right in the 50-150 range.
    I'm in Europe, don't know where you are, might not be available/relevant in your hood. Their stuff is on Amazon.

18. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Turned out a very useful thread for everybody who needs to play media files on a TV. I mean, I wasn't aware of some of the options mentioned, but since I'm an IT geek, of course my solution is somewhat complicated and in IT way. :wink:

I do sometimes use Kodi on my computer with a Logitech joystick as a controller. Works perfectly and Kodi looks great.

Seems like having some kind of a media player like this Xoro would be the most straight forward solution for a non-IT person. ;)

19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Connect the laptop to the television using an HDMI cable

To connect your laptop to the television you will of course need a suitable cable. HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface)
    cables are best for this. These transmit high-resolution image and sound material quickly and without problems.

In another practical tip, we will show you what to look for when buying HDMI cables and how much money you have to spend.
    Basically, you can get a two-meter-long HDMI cable for around 6 euros on the Internet, which is perfectly adequate for most purposes.

Laptop & TV: Establish connection via HDMI
    You can connect the two devices to each other in the switched-off state as well as during operation.

1. Connect the cable to the HDMI output of your laptop.
    2. Plug the other end of the cable into the HDMI input on your TV. If your TV has several inputs, make a note of the number next to the input you have selected.
    3. Press the source select button on your remote control. In most cases this is named "Source".
    4. Now select the correct HDMI input. As a rule, the selection also shows you directly to which input a device is connected.
    5. Now click with the right mouse button on your laptop desktop and select the item "Display Settings". In the settings that open, select the "Duplicate this display" item in the drop-down menu and confirm with the "Apply" button. This means that the same content is displayed on the television as it is on your laptop.
    6. If you want to watch a movie, it can also be helpful to select the item "Only show on 2" in the drop-down menu to switch off the laptop display.
    7. If no sound is transmitted on the television, it may also be necessary to click with the right mouse button on the loudspeaker symbol in the system tray and then select the item "Playback devices". Your television is displayed here. Select it and click on "Set as default" below.

How To Connect Laptop To TV Without Any Cable

Tech Tips: How to connect your laptop to a TV.

Agent Meade is in The Lab, ready to tell you how to connect your Windows 10 laptop to your TV. In a few minutes, you’ll be able to show pictures, videos and more on the big screen. He’ll walk you through two options, starting with how connect a laptop to a TV wirelessly. Skip ahead to 01:47 if you want to learn to hook up your laptop to a TV with an HDMI cable.

20. nctechno

nctechno Kapellmeister

raspberry pi

21. odiza

odiza Producer

Anything you can install kodi or plex on and has usb in & hdmi out will fit your needs.
    I use a dedicated Laptop which holds Plex Media Server on it, collecting all available media (movies, tv series, music albums) informations. A Firetv cube is connected to my tv with the plex client software on it. Perfect for me.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021