Developers who use neural networks in analog emulation

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arabian_jesus, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

In the last few years more and more plug-in developers that use some type of neural networks to emulate analog equipment have popped up. The most well known today is probably Neural DSP and judging by their, and others, success this seems to be the way forward for emulating analog equipment. There are a few developers I know of that have embraced this technology but I wanted to ask if you guys know of any others?

The ones I know that are or have used some type of neural networks like wavenet, RNN, CNN etc. are:
    Neural DSP - WaveNet
    Acustica Audio - ?
    ChowDSP - recurrent (RNN)
    Mercuriall - ?
    GuitarML - WaveNet
    Native Instruments - state trajectory network (STN)

There are probably a greater number of developers who uses neural networks to make AI assisted plug-ins, like iZotope, but I'm more interested in the ones that are emulating analog equipment.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Bubak

Bubak Member

Mercuriall
    Native Instruments (ICM models in Guitar Rig 6)

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Arabian_jesus

Ah, forgot about Mercuriall! Love the Euphoria plug-in. It's probably the one plug-in that can rival Neural DSPs stuff IMHO! From what I remember they started with neural networks in the AMT pedal emulation plug-in. I haven't demoed that one yet so I might have to download it!

Didn't know that NI used neural networks in GR6 though. Interesting. I must say that I didn't like it at all! Hahaha

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  5. Bubak

Bubak Member

Yes, there was nothing extraordinary in GR6. The Supro Chicago model was cool though. There is also this guy (https://github.com/GuitarML) who has developed some open source plugins using neural networks.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

They don't use NN/AI. They use non-linear convolution at several input levels (that important gain stage thing) and a shitload of patented interpolation methods to switch between those levels.
    It really is hardware effect sampling, which is cool.

Edited: outdated, now they seem to also use AI, read below

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  7. Bubak

Bubak Member

I guess they do use neural networks.
    https://acustica-audio.com/pages/specials/deep-learning-basics

8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

A rose by any other name would still smell sweet.
    William Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet)

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

:like: You're right, they use it too, didn't know that
    'June 27, 2019
    From sampling gear to sampling humans. With Cola, we have introduced a first-of-its-kind in AI-based approaches to mixing
    .'

And
    'We are not new to Artificial Intelligence technology. In fact, we have been using 'AI-based machine learning' while developing our compressors.

But Deep Learning techniques - applied to our already unique hardware sampling technology - will be a true game changer as - to our knowledge - the creative approach of an engineer to mixing has never been 'sampled' and recreated in a plugin.
    '

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Wow, I didn't know. So now they use AI besides their classic non-linear sampling.
    Cool, very cool.
    Thanks for correcting me @Bubak :wink:. @No Avenger, thanks too and ban Bubak for correcting me anyways :rofl:

Edited: just in case, just joking

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. demberto

demberto Rock Star

AI based plugins, then there's AI based synths, then there's AI based MIDI helpers, there's AI based DAWs, and one day only AI will only make music, because humans are too busy making AI

12. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

What acustica needs is a redesign of their code, keep the quality but with a lot lower cpu, can be done, or else they will eventually fall behind.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I don't think they can go faster. Couple years ago I went down the rabbit hole of their technology and there's no avoiding an humongous amount of computations. Perhaps even the addition of AI is to make them faster, partially.

14. Arabian_jesus

That's why I wrote "I think?", because I did remember reading something about them using NN's but I was a bit unsure! I am definitely no expert in NN's so I wrote CNN because I just assumed that's what they are using :knock:

From what I understand, the AI used in Cola is more of a "mix helper" (like iZotope) rather than a process they have used to emulate analog gear. Machine learning doesn't have to mean that they have used any neural network either, but deep learning on the other hand would imply that they are using NN's. AA does seem to have the most accurate process for emulating analog gear right now at least! I'm hoping that Neural DSP, Mercuriall and others will apply their formulas for other stuff than just guitar amp's etc. so that we might get some great alternatives to Aqua and Nebula plug-ins :)

15. Arabian_jesus

Ah, GuitarML is another one I forgot about haha! Their stuff sounds really good, but SmartPedal doesn't seem to work on my PC for some reason. SmartAmp works fine, even though it's a bit cpu intensive, but whenever I try to load up SmartPedal my DAW freezes until I close the SmartPedal GUI :/

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Very cool project. I took a look, even asked some stuff to the developer. It's more a research project, he hasn't the resources of a company, neither does use the fastest libraries. He focuses on productivity and improving the quality.
    The time for an optimization process is still far ahead.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

AA pluggies still are based on IRs but I don't know in which way and to which amount they're using or supporting the plugins with AI or Deep Learning and exactly is the difference between them.
    Sadly, AA doesn't tell a lot about it. Neither if they're using these techniques with other plugins too.

18. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

there is no clear definition of when a process is an ANN or not.

it is often only used a buzzword.

and it doesnt have much to do with AI, btw.

19. starkid84

starkid84 Producer

Acustica Audio uses "Vectorial Volterra Kernels" aka "VVK" (convolution/sampling) to create their plugins and libraries.

20. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

They're like Eq matching IRs (kernels) of the harmonics. The theory is nice and elegant.
    To apply the first harmonic IR they have to multiply the incoming signal by itself, for the next another time,.. that's how they apply non-linear behavior using these kernels.
    To emulate with absolute perfection they'd need to use all the content of the matrix containing the diagonal. I don't know how to even call them, say inter-modulation kernels.
    But the diagonal corresponding to the harmonics contains almost all the juice.

• List
  21. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

True fact. Also, AI doesn't necessarily means deep learning