Detuned sound, please help

Discussion in 'PC' started by ambbe, Jan 10, 2016.

1. ambbe

ambbe Ultrasonic

Hi all. I apologize in advance for my English
    I have a very strange problem. For several days, the sounds of the VSTi synths sounds occasionally detuned, especially Ample Sound guitars, it always sounds horribly out of tune. It happens in every DAW (Live, Reaper, Sonar, StudioOne...) except in FL Studio.
    Windows is reinstalled from scratch. I tried Win7 and Win8, I tried with another audio interface, but nothing has changed. I tried the ASIO driver from manufacturer and ASIO4ALL, but nothing has changed. I tried another MIDI controller, but nothing has changed.
    Really, I can not find explanation.

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Are you using a keyboard with on board sounds, or is it just a MIDI contoller? What sounds out of tune and what doesn't? If a keyboard part sounds out of tune with samples, etc., make sure your MIDI controller/keyboard has not changed it's A440 tuning. Do you know which ones are "correct pitch" and which ones are not?

4. ambbe

ambbe Ultrasonic

It is just a MIDI contoller, no onboard sounds. Novation Impulse and Emu xBoard. Both reset to defaults.

5. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

I would check my sound card options, to see if my master tuning is set to 440Hz. Next time you have the issue, try looking at that value, on your audio card panel, and your daw settings.

At first, I thought there should be some sort of midi issue, like some kind of pitchbend being sent from your midi keyboard... but you say you have the same issue with other midi keyboards as well...

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Check so the MIDI hasn't been accidentally transposed.

Check your project/DAW sample rate and the sample rate of your (possible) samples used. Back in the days I accidentally played 44.1kHz samples back at 48kHz (and vice-versa) in my DAW. It was a headscratcher until I figured it out.

7. ambbe

ambbe Ultrasonic

You are all right. It seems a problem of sample rate. Adjusting audio interface and DAW I have partially solved the problem. Now it takes longer to detune. I also will adjust the bit depth (16/24/32), although my card (Focusrite Scarlett Solo) does not allow me to adjust this. I think is working always in 24bit.
    It's definitely not a problem of MIDI controller or MIDI messages.
    It is important to say that this happens to me especially with Ample Sound guitars.

Thank you all for the help.