Despite Ableton saying there won't be a Push 3, there's a new Push!!!

Discussion in 'Live' started by Bunford, May 23, 2023.

1. Daisy69

Daisy69 Platinum Record

You fucking troll!
    You got me second time!
    I lost patience for you :rofl:
    :suicide::thanks::mad: :crazy:

2. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Push 2, Mac mini (with the extra £200 memory upgrade) and external sound card would create the same experience minus the MPE funtion. In fact the Mac mini would be exponentially better. But it would be pushing the same price I think so maybe £1900 isn't too much to ask for something like this. Also, production costs are steep now. I like the updated features from the Push 2, they seem sensible.

If anybody wants to buy me one I'll test it for you so you don't waste your time buying yourself one and realising it isn't for you.

3. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest

:winker::bleh::goodpost:
    [​IMG]

4. IllBert

IllBert Producer

Will push 3 work with pirated suite?

5. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    [​IMG]

It runs on a specialized Linux OS. (no VST's)

Intel® NUC 11 Compute Element CM11EBi38W is the one they ship with and it costs ~$286.00 (came out in 2021!)
    a SSD m.2 nvme 256gb Gen 3 - under $100. A lithium flat pack battery 2.5 Ah ~ $100 on the high side. There's a 2 pound difference between standalone and regular version so likely they have the heatsink in the upgrade.

Other options for NUC Elements are:

This isn't a pc replacement, IMHO and a horrible price for an upgrade

6. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

Push 2 does.

7. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

Yeah as pretty and integrated as it is, unless you really plan to use the MPE pads and really enjoy the standalone workflow you can get absolutely fantastic hardware that'd last you for years for that price. I definitely see the appeal tho and the fact that they're using intel compute units as an upgrade path is groundbreaking as fuck for controllers and i really hope this spirit of modularity and upgradeability catches on, lord knows we need way more of this sentiment in this "throw it away in 2 years because everything is soldered/on-package" market we currently live in.

8. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    remains to be seen. to connect a new Push it shows this:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

1999 dol? lol

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Apart from the Launchpad x what other midi devices do you have? I MIGHT finally have cracked it... You'll need a controller that has at least 6 knobs on it though (5 and one for fx)
    Well you COULD do it all through the launchpad but I haven't worked that out yet.

It involves creating a .txt file called 'options.txt' within C:\Users\(YOUR: ID)\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\YOUR VERSION of LIVE\Preferences

type in -EnableArmOnSelection / save and reboot Ableton

Thanks to #JustineGriffin (On youtube ) for that!

This allows for swapping between drums/ instruments ALL at the touch of one button

I'm currently working on adding several kits to the drums. several alternate basses to the bass channel.. same for pads/ leads/ and strings/ guitars etc etc which will be controlled all by knobs on a separate controller

11. Goonster

Goonster Member

Ordered my Push 3 controller, I currently do not need or want a standalone, will replace my Push 2 and Sensel Morph with it :)

12. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

This demo shows it's true power.

13. BuckyBucky

BuckyBucky Noisemaker

14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Roland A800 Pro, Emu Xboard 25, Akai LPK25, Novation Ultranova

options.txt no longer works in Live 11.x.x - they removed this feature.

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Does this mean Live works on Linux now? Why not make a normal Linux release - just like bitwig?
    THis explains the no VST feature, but why not using CLAP, LV2 or anything else working on macOS and windows too?

intel nucs are the shit, i played with one around, easily was able to use 3 Vavras with only 30% CPU usage. (NUC11 with ntel® Core™ i5-1145G7 Processor)

I can really see this getting cheaper down the line, because its a mini PC inside the P3, which is a very good concept and new idea for the future.

but most likely you could get something similar with a mini pc based on intel nuc11, the ntel® Core™ i5-1145G7 Processor or better with 16GB RAM, easily 1TB ssd and connect your P2 to it. Its just cheaper and you can use Windows 10 or 11 with Live 11 and have VST2 and 3 support.
    Maybe there is a battery solution for the intel nuc too?! i mean its the same concept without giving Ableton to much money.

16. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Oh bugger..I remember now you've told me that before..

17. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is exactly why I won't be buying a Push 3 to replace my Push 2. Like any new tech that has future prospects, the first generation is often short-lived, quickly replaced, depreciates quicker and sooner, and is often buggy too.

Though there's nothing to dislike (apart from the baulking price tag), if you consider the Push 1 was released in 2013 as a new device/tech, and quickly replaced by 2015 with Push 2 that resolved a lot of the issues with Push 1 (such as the not so great display and visual limitations), and it took until 2023 then to improve on Push 2 and release Push 3, an astounding 8 years! For me, Push 3 seems more like a Push Gen 2 Mk 1 rather than a Push 3, due to the different concepts and technologies, like MPE and the standalone mode and so on. Therefore, I'd expect a Push 4 to be released in the not too distant future to iron our the quirks and bugs that will no doubt be discovered in Push 3 over the next year or two. Therefore, personally I'm likely to skip Push 3 and wait another 3 or so years to see if there's a Push 4 (or Push Gen 2 Mk 2) and reassess then. To me, personally, the price of Push 3 and the risks of it being short-lived before we see an improved Push 4 don't make it an appealing choice.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  18. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I actually think this is a platform they'll stick to for a longer while, since it's upgradable.

I'm guessing that they'll make the money by selling software upgrades (you'll need a license anyway already) and "Ableton Certified" HW upgrade kits and offer professional support for those.

The biggest oddity here is the skimpy audio IO. 2in/2out? I'd imagine people playing live or integrating this into their DJ setup would like a bit more. Sure there's the ADAT expansion, but then you're already losing a fair bit of benefit of being a standalone.

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

i mean if you could get your hands cheap on a barebone P3 standalone, you could basically update the intel nuc yourself, they go for really cheap money these days with awsome performance. WOndering how Ableton will limit that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

And I think this is probably the way to go....in about 2 years when the Push 3 barebones unit prices have dropped to sub-£500 preowned :rofl:

My only thought on this is that Ableton growth and large user base is largely due to the non-legit user base embracing it over any other DAW over several years. Granted this is only hypothetical based on my understanding at present, but if the Push 3 requires home calling to validate license in any way, this would automatically rule out that majority non-legit user base of Ableton, which probably make up a significant chunk of the sub-prosumer level user base. That significantly limits the customer base for Push 3 if this is the case, but this would seem to also render the standalone mode a bit dubious as not everywhere would have WiFi obviously, unless it utilises something like a home call every 30 days or something to validate the license.

Last edited: May 25, 2023