Desk platform vs floor stands for studio monitors

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Maduka, May 23, 2023.

1. Maduka

Maduka Kapellmeister

3. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

My monitor speakers are on my desk but I use Auralex MoPAD-XL speaker isolation platforms.
    They're less than $50 Canadian for a pair.

4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Well if you go with floor stands make damn sure they can be placed somewhere where drunk/stoned people can't come along and bang into them or lean on them, possibly you :rofl:That's a legit issue in my studio space. Given your furniture I would definitely put them on the desk and use the isolation pads just like Kluster suggested. In fact screw $50, I bet you could use a common silicon oven pad.

5. Maduka

Maduka Kapellmeister

Thanks guys. I will do a test.

6. George Santos

George Santos Kapellmeister

I'm going to recommend the opposite regarding isolation foam under the speaker - don't use it. In my experience, the isolation foam reduces audible/visceral low frequency tones disproportionately to high frequency tones leading to errors in mixing/mastering. I tried them with both my studio monitors and home theater sub, but eventually removed them. While the human hearing spectrum is 20hz-20khz, research suggests that you feel sub tones even lower on the spectrum. IMO, you shouldn't neutralize the vibration if you want to hear/feel your music like the end user will in their car/home/club environment.

Regarding desk vs stand - either location will work equally if the speaker tweeters are ear height, facing inward toward you so that any front LEDs are fully facing your ears, equal distance from walls/corners, and can be separated from microphone stand so as not to introduce vibrations to mic stand(don't put both on desk or same floor platform, or use good quality shock mount). Also, the back hole in your speaker should be at least 1.5m from a wall otherwise the lack of airflow affects sound quality.

Page 9 of the Yamaha HS5+ manual covers the above tips for "superior sound setup":
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...4QFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw1nD5pbDAwzKKp09TQ61TDF

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  7. George Santos

George Santos Kapellmeister

Your next expense should be full-band acoustic foam at the reflection points of your speakers(left, right, above, behind, in front). I don't like that room correction calibration software stuff for speakers. I'd rather treat the room than layer some eq but others have good results allegedly. No need to go overboard with acoustic foam either. I think the equation breaks down to less than 1/3 of the room should be treated otherwise you can become too flat sounding.

https://producerhive.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Acoustic-Foam-Panel-Placement-Tips.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  8. Maduka

Maduka Kapellmeister

Thanks for the info brother.