Desert Island Samples (or, the 1TB problem)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Peeping Latte, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Story goes:

I cleaned up my broke-college-person's wallet for a second-hand macbook pro 15/i7 2.8/16G/1TBSSD ... and because I have another old machine to access the internet, test plugins and run small projects, I made a rule to never connect this new device to anything online.

Earlier while searching for ways to optimize OSX audio for the new machine, I found this site, and so on.

I was thrilled and anxious due to my expanded worldview :suicide: just how many producers have used this systematized engine to find versatile tools for their needs and created more innovative sounds than my little late-comer situation?

As you can see, being a newbie to both this site and the sister site, I ran into the awkward situation where I used to be closed to a small set of non-sampled soft that are BT-searchable (searching "kontakt" doesn't give a big-picture result for apparent reasons), now realms of huge libraries of samples are accessible to me too ...
    • How do I navigate through sample-space?
    Limited to 1TB total (really it's less than that for future-proof reasons, and I want to keep a simple file systems), suppose I seek clean, versatile, mixable, navigate-able, not too genre-specific, and samples you actually use, what are your choices?

And suppose I limit "samples" to ID-ed Kontakt libraries (minimum setup hassle), what are your choices? Or should I just ask, what are your desert-island samples, if there are any?

Contributions may help thoise who just bought external SSDs, and want to savor their new capacities :bleh:

3. Welp. I will answer myself by going through SNPID and Kontakt-related posts. Maybe what matters now is how I interact with a resource rather than how "objectively" useful a resource is :bow: it's hard for anyone to answer if I don't specify what music I prefer. What is a generalist anyway?

4. Moreover, I don't even know if Kontakt will maintain it's status aside from having too many library developers relying on them, and you see big developers like Orchestral Tools and Spitfire Audio trying to make new platforms, affiliated people recommending "best" Kontakt libraries, unsigned hidden gems ...

Ha, I'll just be ignorant about "better" options, like a true Apple user:chilling:

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Your question is too generic. Even if you want versatile sample-based stuff you should narrow it down.

6. ^ me upon knowing my question was too generic. I was expecting people who have tried ~10 products to give their ~1 of the ~10, and therefore it wouldn't be hard to get answers. But looking around in AudioSex many people are experienced users and producers. I would need to understand what are the relevant personal info for this type of search. And I just don't know about that.

Slow as I, would've died first episode if I were in Kaiji-verse.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2020
  7. Wait, I do know I'm an avid Arturia user. I also have a separate satisfactory piano sound.

Something to complement the synth-iness ... could be acoustic parts, not strictly orchestral; could be percussion or world instruments.

Sorry for the indirectness. I want to think in terms of future compositions instead of treading conventional routes.