"Depth" of Stereo image

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Poper21, Nov 10, 2017.

1. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

you seemed stressed. where your lady friend go?
    [​IMG]

I dont disagree with this comment though. hahaha

the only thing i can do is give the information related to the topic, the rest is his responsibility.
    if he reads through what everyone has written he will see all the variables pertaining to a stereo meter and techniques involved. ( then sort out any misunderstandings)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

We seem to disagree. In my humble opinion, giving Principia Mathematica to a preschooler won't teach him a thing about math & is a failure of the instructor. As a minimum, teh learned pedagogue must understand math himself. Telling Pumpkin "Math is an art. To math goodly, mathematologists add various ambiances to rich beds of scientology with quality analog tools, e.g. an artisanal abacus, or its digital simulacrum, the calculator" is, arguably, suboptimal :D
    ...was no friend. All she ever did was stick her fist up my butt :(

3. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

4. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

lol lovely topic, back to the business, step one, have u got how the stereo shaper is working ?

level 1

how can u separate m/s etc. these ones:

• Mid - A Mid signal is output on both channels, Mid = (L+R)/2.
    • Side - The Side signal is output on both channels, Side = (L-R)/2.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  5. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

... level 2

6. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

so got it
    [​IMG]
    ?

7. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

u/momo makes pretty skins :)

Slightly OT, but did you know oscilloscope music is a thing?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

"MMJ2017 said:
    the only thing i can do is give the information related to the topic, the rest is his responsibility."

LAMBCHOP{
    We seem to disagree. In my humble opinion, giving Principia Mathematica to a preschooler won't teach him a thing about math & is a failure of the instructor. As a minimum, teh learned pedagogue must understand math himself. Telling Pumpkin "Math is an art. To math goodly, mathematologists add various ambiances to rich beds of scientology with quality analog tools, e.g. an artisanal abacus, or its digital simulacrum, the calculator" is, arguably, suboptimal :D}

so what , i'm supposed to check out a new thread .
    see what the person is asking about, but make some kind of assessment whether they "deserve" to be given the information or not?

then, if i don't deem them worthy........ don't give the real answer?

or do i look at a new thread, see what the person is asking about,
    give the information{ as it exists in reality} to my best ability?( and thereby having anyone with the same question in the future able to access the information as well.)

i fine sir, choose the second option.

lambchop{
    Telling Pumpkin "Math is an art. To math goodly, mathematologists add various ambiances to rich beds of scientology with quality analog tools, e.g. an artisanal abacus, or its digital simulacrum, the calculator" is, arguably, suboptimal :D}}

gawdammit lambchop! whaddi tell you about ROBOTRIPPING without me?!...............
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

What an odd question. Of course you should. But again, you're seeing things from ...an unusual perspective.
    Does Cindy Lou Who (she's no more than two) "deserve" to have an encyclopædia thrown at her before she learns how to read? Or does she, perchance, deserve better?

10. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

"
    MMJ2017 said:
    .....make some kind of assessment whether they "deserve" to be given the information or not?......."

someone posts a thread asking a question, I am going to give the the actual answer 100 percent of the time
    it is not my place to say they "don't deserve" to be given the answer .
    second the answer is not just for that person in that moment but for anyone in the future that might want to know the answer as well.

now, tell why this is unusual perspective in yer mind?

lampchop"...you're seeing things from ...an unusual perspective....."

11. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

So you do think you should toss an encyclopedia at Cindy Loo? Because Go, Dog. Go! is condescending & demeaning, kids deserve better, amirite?

12. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

i think if a question is asked, i should give the actual answer.(independent from which expectations and assumptions a human being's brain has made about the context.)EX. that the words should be small, that the answer SHOULD be a simple one.
    our brain can change from learning. reality is the way things actually are, and will NOT change because we think "it should be SIMPLER!"
    cavemen thought that dull round rocks SHOULD be able to cut meat.
    but reality DICTATED that only sharp flat strong rocks cut ACTUALLY cut meat.

question IF you believe it is okay to evaluate a person's question to see if they EVEN DESERVE an answer or not, why do you not evaluate your OWN thought, that an answer SHOULD be simple? to see if reality should transform to meet your imagination?

sorry OP,
    not trying to de-rail yer thread i just wanted to ague a second that you deserve an answer without me making some type committee decision that you don't deserve one becuase your not one of the elite!

13. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

14. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

and u can create game with Patcher :disco:

just helping to to fuck up the topic :dont: :no:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

!!BUY NOW!!

A new PDF by lambchop!

everything you ever wanted or needed to know about mixing and engineering audio stereo width!

page 1.

Lambchop said:
    TL;DR: They did it by turning up the volume

the end.

only $19.99!! and wait if you order now we'll even throw in a sock puppet!

16. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

MMJ2017 said:
    .....make some kind of assessment whether they "deserve" to be given the information or not?......."

Lambchop said:
    What an odd question. Of course you should. But again, you're seeing things from ...an unusual perspective.
    Does Cindy Lou Who (she's no more than two) "deserve" to have an encyclopædia thrown at her before she learns how to read? Or does she, perchance, deserve better?

and let me guess 100 percent of the time YOU ask a question, you ALWAYS deserve the exact answer right? your "theory" applies to 7.6 billion people , JUST NOT YOU right?

17. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Does Patcher display Lissajous curves and explain how a vectorscope works in the process like that vid does?

Here I am, preaching about playing to the audience, while going totally over your head myself :( Let's give it another shot, this time with big letters & bright colors:
    [​IMG]

18. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

[​IMG]
    wanna come over and play xbox?

19. SOKRVT

SOKRVT Kapellmeister

Didn't have to time to read all of the other answers but in case no one mentioned it,
    if you want descent stereo in your track you need to start learning sound design.
    What i mean by 'learning sound design' , is your ability to listen and place instruments where you want them.

There are so many samples and presets that come with effects, stereo information boosted. By slapping them on your mix you are doing more harm than good. You need to use your ears and ask yourself "where do i want to place this sound?" Then start modifying it ' sound design ' if however you want to keep it that way because somehow it was already dope as fuck, then you need to place everything else around this instrument. You can't have all of your synths with haas effect for example, because you lose all impact.

Go to drums, pan super hard left and right, eq highs a bit, throw an autopan on some elements and go crazy.
    Automate wet on reverbs at the 16th of every bar.
    Use white noise creatively.

Rule of thumb, always exaggerate effects, including reverbs, delays, chorus, stereo imagers, compression before deciding what you want.

Control your low end and control sides. If your sides appear weak, boost 300hz with a wide bell +2+3db on the bus corresponding to the elements that are on the side or lacking depth. But make sure you low cut sides 200hz below with a steep 24db cut before you boost .

And whatever you do, don't put haas effect on master bus :D

So much shit you can do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

There is some width already, but it has been reduced & smashed in dynamics with a stereo-linked compressor to give that noticable diamond edge. It is not something you want to achieve.

You can reach "top" and "bottom" with a loud mono kick drum (or bass). Try it.

Don't need to. It's assumed that the track is already thick.

No. bottom/top is the amplitude of the mid/mono signal. L R is the width/side signal. There's no such thing as the physical depth or height of stereo image. It's only a perceived thing.

Remember, this is only a visualization of the stereo image. And it's normalized so that everything will stay inside meter bounds. You're trying too hard to please your (incorrect) understanding of this stereo meter.