Depeche Mode - Memento Mori (2023) - A New Era ?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Stevie Dude, Apr 14, 2023.

1. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I think most of the population here, at one point in life is a fan of Depeche Mode. Even if that is not the case, most of us listened to their music, know and aware about their music. I don't know if I'm a fan or not but I've listened to all their album throughout my life and up until now. Though I might say I have other music/band that I like more, I still think they are one of the biggest best band ever.

They've released their fifteenth studio album (15th, goddamn 15th album! plus countless singles EP and whatnot) which is a great achievement on itself, I think only 1% of all the bands ever in the world could manage to reach that milestone. Memento Mori.

Well, I've spend few days to really listen to their new album Memento Mori and I must say like it, while it is totally different from all their best-selling albums from the late 80s to the 90s and my personal favourite Ultra, I think you can tell only after 10 sec listening to each song that it carries all the DM trademark and characters, and yes it sounds like them. I think they are sticking to the mellow, dark, brooding theme (minus the political ? lol) from their previous album, Spirit which I also kinda love.

This album, it is the first full-length after the passing of the great Andy Fletcher (RIP, great musician, love him) we all love and I think only Dave Gahan and Martin Gore were credited as DM "members" in the album. These 2 are easily THE Depeche Mode for quite sometime now, the most influential members, main songwriters of the band and this album is the first where only 2 of them made without any other real band members. I understand that hundreds of other personnel involve in the making of the album, no great band is an island, but deep at the core, basically this album is a brainchild of that 2 men. Can't tell how much Peter Gordeno involves in this album, only credited as writer for one song.

So, I would like hear the opinion of others about the album, this particular duo project, if possible everyone that have listened to the album, longtime fans, diehard fans, just discovered, everyone. Reviews, love, hate, "this album is mediocre" (but tell us why), favourite song, favourite song ever, "I wish they make more music like ______" , "i stopped listening at _________", "I think I would be cool if I listen to DM", those type of thing.

Please share everything that has to do with this album, trivia, instruments used, notable synth sounds, production technique, vocals techniques, mixing, mastering. Any other useful information about this album that you think people should know. Anything you have to say that has to do with this album and this new era of Depeche Mode.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I'll listen Memento Mori tomorrow, thanks for the heads ip.

I never ever listened to Depeche Mode except for hearing songs on the airwaves through the years...but then I listened to Box of Rain in 2020 and it's now one of my favorite albums. Ever song is both killer and each a bit off kilter and super creative.

4. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

haha, sad that nobody listens to DM anymore these days.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Nobody listens to DM? Then nobody is selling out their tours and the album’s success is non-existent, right?

I miss Alan Wilder and Andy was the catalyst between Martin and Dave. His death brought them together and they have some goood people producing for them. Rumor is that this might be their last album as DM. Only time will tell. Interesting to see Richard Butler (Psychedelic Furs/Love Spit Love) helping with the songwriting.

A founding or key member’s death in a band might signal a rebirth. New Order wouldn’t be born if not out of Ian Curtis’ suicide. Personally I think they’re on automatic pilot since Peter Hook left/was sacked, but that’s just my personal opinion. Both camps seem to be doing well nowadays. Killing Joke was hit really hard with the passing of Paul Raven, but they soldiered on, got the original line up back and have been kicking some serious ass live and on record.

One of my best friends am will see DM live for the third time this year on this tour. Tour dates selling like hot cakes and getting great reviews. I hope they can thrive on.

I just wished Wilder stepped out and did another killer Recoil album, or rejoined DM to bring some brooding darkness back, but I won’t hold my breath.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Recoil ✪

Recoil ✪ Rock Star

Old fans still listen, but now I can compose by myself at home, and listening to their music is quite different now. Because I keep thinking what kind of effect and synth they used in particular song :rofl:and I know I can do that too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

honestly not a depeche mode fan but will take a listen tomorrow during work time

8. Utada Hikaru

Utada Hikaru Producer

I can enjoy this album without problems; it's good, pleasant and includes the distinctive features of the band's style in dribs and drabs. There are somber, melodic songs, synthesizers, laptops, drum machines, strings, guitars, vocal harmonies and some digital paraphernalia, but (they say "but" overrides all of the above), it lacks the complex and inventive electronic production that ornaments and embellishes the melodies that make Depeche Mode great.
    When Alan Wilder left, his absence was too noticeable, and now Andrew Fletcher (Q.E.P.D.), as centennials say: He's a heap! James Ford is a mistake that Gore and Gahan don't seem to notice and that led them, 6 years ago, to conceive the most unworthy piece of their colossal discography; "Memento mori", as it couldn't be otherwise, is a step above it (just one), but far from the average quality standard to which long-lived and undisputed artists like DM have accustomed us. You know, DM's work is compared to DM's work; that's the correct-appropriate context, and in that sense, this one is in the middle of the table. You ask for more from those you know can deliver; perhaps any synthpop act born in the last 25 years would offer an arm and a leg for an album like this, yet for the Basildon-based act it tastes like little... very little. None of the compositions are brilliant enough to raise the score: 4 of them co-written with Richard Butler of Psychedelic Furs, 2 in the company of Christian Eigner (a regular collaborator since the late 90s), and 9 of the 12 exhibit a complement of conventional drums performed by Ford. Who wants to listen to DM with drums? Who??
    To paraphrase '78's Genesis: "And then there were two left"; I expected much more from them, this lacks darkness, industrial sounds, compositional solidity and the programming magic of yesteryear.

Source: https://rateyourmusic.com/music-review/Pablo4U/depeche-mode/memento-mori/193522459

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. nenemalo

nenemalo Noisemaker

I really like the album, not as good of their classics ones by a mile, but still a very inspired collection of songs. What is remarkable is the fact that they continue being creative, meanwhile other great bands of that time like U2 are being ridiculous in 2023. Have you listen U2' Songs Of Surrender? It's scary.
    By the way... Am I the only person on earth that thinks "A Broken Frame" is the best Depeche album ever?

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I first saw them on Top Of The Pops in 1981 I think it was? by 83 I was selling keyboards and playing 'just cant get enough' That's where my love of keyboards originated.

11. TT Rebel

TT Rebel Member

Not heard the new album yet, will give it a listen this week.
    My main genre is Punk and Rock, but always liked Depeche Mode.
    Saw them live on the Delta Machine tour a few years back, They are a fucking incredible live act :wink:

12. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I thought I'd share this with you'all in this thread...

A fellow here bought an Arturia Microbrute that was used only in the DEMOS for Split and donated by Depeche Mode at auction during the ill conceived Covid lock down to help fund roadies out of work when nobody was touring...for 6,000 bucks. He's now trying to unload it for nearly 5,000. Anybody want a seriously overpriced Microbrute? He'll probably come down (although I feel that he might be still tripping on acid or exstacy) in price.:rofl:

This qualifies as a definite First World 21st century problem.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  13. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

These guys changed my life forever. I listened by accident to New Life (well named) and from that moment i stopped listening to mainstream music and only listened to synthpop /new wave/ ebm etc. I'm still an addict.
    That being said. My last orgasm was Violator. Nowadays, i can name a hundred bands that make the music DM could still be making.
    To my ears, it's not a synthpop band anymore.But by a sense of profound gratitude, I wish them the best possible outcome no matter what.

14. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Depeche Mode’s been using ‘real’ drums since the Wilder days.

Also, they had people like Jon Flood, Paul Kendall, and Gareth Jones helping them in the production department since almost the beginning.

Just laying some facts. Real drums and collabs with them are nothing new.

15. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

If that was 4,900 Rupees it would be a different story :P

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Blacklight District

Blacklight District Kapellmeister

I'm really enjoying the new album - much more so than Spirit, which I felt was a bit of a mess honestly. Sounds of the Universe, which was released in 2009, is probably my favorite of their later-era (post-Ultra) releases. However, I would still argue that they have never put out a "bad" album - which is quite a feat considering many of their contemporaries have had uninspired late-careers. Its funny to me that in America, DM are considered an "Eighties Band" despite their most praised work being in the 1990's (Violator,SOFAD,Ultra). But it is also nice to see so many younger fans at their shows, so maybe there is hope for these kids after all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

Best album since ULTRA. Was very dissapointed about the output of them in the last 20 years. Alan Wilder is really missing. Although Tim Simenon (producer of ULTRA) did a good job. Memento Mori is not 10 out of 10 but a 7 I would say. Its also very influenced by other Bands. "People are good" absolutely "Computerworld" and "Showroom Dummies" from Kraftwerk. They also recite themselfes in some songs. Obvidually also in "People are good" by using the start-sound of "Personal Jesus" just pitched a bit up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Tim Simenon. Bomb The Bass. Enough said.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Vince Clarke and Martin Gore did two albums together recently.
    Maybe a third?
    With guest vocalists?
    Please?

20. ironmother

ironmother Ultrasonic

Ah, great post. An amazing band. I actually haven't sat down to check this new album out yet. I still remember an ex boyfriend giving me the album Songs of Faith & Devotion and Ultra... I remember riding home on the bus listening to them both, thinking to myself "this music is amazing, this music makes me feel at peace"

I kind of miss the good old goth days now...

21. %

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2023