demo vs professional song

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by samsome, Sep 15, 2018.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

Here is a demo song of the song ironic by Alanis morissette

Here is the professional/original song

Can you tell me how was the demo recorded and why it lacks all the clear sound that is in the original

any specifics to what makes the demo sound the way it does (unprofessional).....in terms of recording/mixing?

Please note i'm not talking in terms of performance of playing the instruments or singing, but regarding recording and mixing

Thank you

3. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

oh jesus.
    what your asking about is 1000 individual things that add up to be a "professional" mix.

first you need a playback system and acoustic treated room where the pure sound can even get to your ears with the full detail in transients and width and forward to backward 3d depth that actually exists within the music.
    second you need to treat each recorded track like a unique fingerprint, and in a way non-destructive toward the transients. make the energy throughout the frequency response even using harmonics.
    third you make any volume and transient adjustments and any compression needed
    fourth you add your stereo fx such as reverb delay which will create a space for your tracks to live in.
    fifth you do your mixdown including bouncing of stems and busses aux, such that any volume automation is included where you can get to your final stereo master buss.
    sixth you take your final mix and sweeten it and make any fine tuning in mastering and any changes to make a delivery format which can sound the same of every type of speakers and headphones.
    seventh you play the damn thing on any speakers and headphones so you can go back and make tiny changes to get it perfect.
    eight see seventh
    ninth see seventh
    tenth see seventh
    eleventh see seventh
    JOKING (not really)
    twelfth you have a hit song!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  4. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Fuck sakes @MMJ2017 thats why I hate working with jazz musicians... :bleh::winker: only kidding :bow::bow:

First time checking out the demo and doing a comparison. Cracking up because if my hypothysis is correct, the original mixed and mastered properly might sound like a more full mix I would shoot for...

IMO the only reason the polished sounds "professional" is because the mix has high frequencies hitting the right spots. Rolled off some lows from her vocal and tried to clean it up but again imo the original vocal recordings could have just been massaged with eq.

5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

What about the remix?

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

The difference is a different recording of every instrument, defo incl the vocals.
    A treated room, better mics, monitors, hardware (could incl the guitar itself) and wetware (mixing engineer).

7. samsome

samsome Guest

so are you saying the demo was recorded in an untreated room?

or does this have to do with not using professional pre-amps or something for recording

8. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I'm not completely convinced they didn't play on top of the original, adding some Martin gtr noodles and other useless shit that got a producer paid.

9. No Avenger

I am, let's make a poll. [​IMG]

10. samsome

samsome Guest

Guys listen to the vocal "Its like rain" when the chorus kicks in. both demo and original

can you tell me how they got it to sound so much bigger and fuller in the original version? in the demo it sounds so small.

i don't think its just volume

11. samsome

samsome Guest

could it be the microphones they used for example that made all the difference?

demo crappy microphones....original song $$$$$ microphones?

12. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

was referring more to the heavy chorus guitars, which you can get away without re recording sometimes. They definitely re defined her vocal, I liked the original vox. the drums are redone much cleaner and sample based in the final but the guitars sound terrible, I thought they just messed it up with reverb and volume or something.

13. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

God, I still want to marry her.

14. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

to be honest with you all... demo is just high and low filtered... I think that this is the same song. :woot: (for "the same song" I mean all instruments are the same, and for the most part even the vocal is the same)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. No Avenger

You know that she's nuts, dont you? [​IMG]

16. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Just like my ex then!

A demo is exactly what it says... a demo of what the song will be like when it has been mixed properly and mastered. All you are hearing is the raw version of what will be processed to death long after the musicians have left the building.

17. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Not trying to be argumentative here but in all honesty she is probably one of the more centered people with a great sense of humor. Might have just been a short phaze in her 20's on a wierd drug phaze or something.

18. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

See.. better check the "demo" first! :rofl: