Deleting samples from the hard drive in Live

Discussion in 'Live' started by donniekq, Nov 11, 2015.

1. donniekq

donniekq Member

Hello, everyone! It's probably a dumb question, but I've gone over the manual and I can't find the answer there, that's why I'm posting here. I have a bunch of samples I don't like from some while ago, and most of them are crap, but some might be useful in the future. Is there a way to delete the files from my computer directly from Ableton, so I don't have to go to the folder in explorer and destroy them by hand?
    Thanks in advance!

3. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Move them to trash from the left hand side menu on Live, easy peasy!! :wink: To simplify even more this process, add your samples' folder to the menu with the 'add folder' feature and delete them from there

4. worldsbest

worldsbest Newbie

Hi.
    Just be careful that you arent deleting samples that are being used by other projects. For me, who learned the hard way, I found it best to complete a project and do a "Collect All and Save" from Lives File drop down menu. That way, when later on down the road you when you feel you have exhausted all the good samples from a sample pack and are quite happy that you won't be using any more samples from that pack, all you have to do is in Lives browser right click the folder in question and select Delete from the popup menu . This way is dead safe as the samples that you used with your project/s will remain in tact as they are copied into your Project folder using the Collect All and Save function described above. On a side note, if you want to share this project with someone else for collaborative or remix purposes Live has a great compression option that can take the project file size down to about half for easy up/downloading. This can be done using the Project Manager window. Just select the View drop down menu then File Manager option. Hope this helps :)

5. donniekq

donniekq Member

Thanks, guys! That settles it. I just thought deleting them removes them from the library, but it moves them to RB.

6. worldsbest

worldsbest Newbie

Exactly :) Dont forget that if you collect all and save your project the samples that are used for that project are as safe as houses and you can freely delete what ever you want ;)