Deleted Content

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by mrrnr, Apr 22, 2021.

1. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

Honestly, I think the subscription model, especially Sphere is a good one for people either new to a software, or more new to audio recording. I get that in the long run, it will cost more, but as there is new content added, it helps justify it.

I know when Adobe introduced it, there was uproar, and of course, there are other softwares out there to achieve the same thing as in the Creative Cloud but on a perpetual license. For me, if you are a hobbyist, then you can get legit software without the HUGE initial outlay or wasting time searching for working cracks as they change protection, and if you are business user you are not tying your money up and can spend it in other ways to help your business.

And I know one of the biggest “complaints” when subs models came in was that the devs have you and have no reason to improve their software. Well, clearly that’s wrong, simple market forces wouldn’t allow that as their competitors would improve and their new subscribers would dwindle, and there would be a point where the other software is so much better it would be a case of having to jump ship. Also, as more companies in the same market adopt the subs model, it gives them further drive to develop their software, because it makes it easier to jump ship due to not having the huge initial outlay. If the Adobe thing has shown anything it’s that a subs model can be better for the end user, I for one thing the changes in their software have been bigger and better than ever (don’t get me onto AutoDesk though, please, just don’t!!).

The developers will always “win”, they will always want you to spend more, and yes, a nice compromise for a user would be more Rent-To-Own, even if it meant after say 5 years, if you stopped your subs, you got a perpetual licence of that version you were on. And maybe that will come. Only takes one company to do it, and the rest will have to, market forces and all that.

2. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

when you say they do it for no reason, it’s it because they haven’t the infrastructure to cope? Never had any dealings, but I know people always speak so highly of S1. As a Cubase user, I know other users are pretty critical of Steiny, especially when their authorisation servers go tits up when they release a new version :rofl:

3. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Best Answer
    I dont think it is tits infrastructure. I think it is more IOP whenever someone in Presonus decides that you have violated its EULA. Dont get me wrong, I agree that Presonus has the right to protect its intellectual property but disagree with the way it goes about doing it. Usually the customer receives no explanation, and no remedy is available. You don't get past the person who answers your call. You would think of PreSonus as having a dozen employees to man its support but if you call support there is going to be just one person in Louisiana answering all calls. If you get an explanation from this one person, it usually is a bogus or vague one. This afternoon I went back to the forum and found this:
    https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=44280&p=259545&hilit=sphere#p259545
    This is an example as to what I was referring to earlier. This type of incidents are what has PreSonus CEO rated the lowest among its peers. https://www.owler.com/company/presonus This type of incident should serve as a warning to those thinking of allowing Presonus to have full control of your DAW and music.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

that’s pretty shocking then, and a shame when their products are highly rated.

5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

In case i did not make it clear, if your account is cancelled you lose access to everything you had stored on Presonus servers. Again, if your account is cancelled you lose access to everything you had stored on Presonus servers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

Projects and all the files are stored on their servers like Pro Tools First are they? I’m not missing something with that?

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Speaking of Presonusl, I haven't personally used any of their hardware, but their hardware I worked with tends to fail a lot in my limited experience, even though their hardware looks nice and sturdy made in many cases, so I wouldn't buy anything from them. I have Faderport, though, which is easy to clean and repair, and works flawlessly [with Reaper, I suppose with S1, too] when you do a panpot mod because it's skippy. The idea for the mod came from mod for my Yamaha samplers that have skippy knobs. Just soldering a little capacitor to one pin of the pot/knob will do it. :wink:

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

but devs will no longer need to hold back major improvements for major version, which you always have to pay quite a bit and thats also the case for S1.
    You get extra stuff added on the way in the future.

And if you dont want it, you can always buy it separate still, which is a good move by Presonus, not many devs are doing this.

9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Control, control, spin, control
    Same shit, different day

10. alexbart

alexbart Producer

With Sphere the user is offered the option to store the files on the cloud, but during my Sphere subscription I always stored the files locally.
    When I cancelled my subscription I've got the warning about loosing all files stored on the cloud, but I never used the Sphere Cloud, so no problems.

11. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

One single person is one too much if it's me, or you! isn't it?
    If one must make a living from his/her work, horror is just no option. :guru: