Deeptech Clicky Subbase

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Philastan, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Philastan

Philastan Newbie

Hi guys,

im producing now for about 3 years but i still didnt managed to get to the following sound:

Right in the first seconds you can hear (probably a subwoofer needed) between the kicks some glitchy clicky subbase action, which produces a complete groove. Now how to do this? Any clues? :)

Greetings
    Phil

3. salexmatei

salexmatei Noisemaker

Yes, I was able(ton) to reproduce this sound.

What I did was simply add a bandpass filter on the end of my processing rack, because I knew the high frequencies were left out in the example track. At the same time, the very low frequencies are also left out, making the primary kick breathe, and just adding a harmonious timbre to the beat. So a bandpass was going to conclude it (although pretty low down, I´m on 89Hz with it, but the resonance is dialled a bit to narrow the band and distill the sound.

Now I knew I had the essence, so I started to look around for what other elements were missing.

I use Live´s sampler, and did add some frequency modulation to the sound, also tweaked the decay and removed any sustain on the sound, to give it a short duration. Transposition was not necessary for this particular sound.

The most important thing is having the right kick to begin with.

4. Philastan

Philastan Newbie

Sounds good, thanks! :)
    Theoretically i understand what you are saying but reproducing is an other thing. Would it be possible to upload the .als?

5. salexmatei

salexmatei Noisemaker

6. Philastan

Philastan Newbie

Pretty neat template, but acutally empty. Are you sure, thats the right one?
    Thanks again for your helpfulness!

7. salexmatei

salexmatei Noisemaker

There should be a track there called KICK or something, that is an instrument you have to press the midi notes to get sound out right...

8. Philastan

Philastan Newbie

So i tried it out - worked pretty well. Didnt thought it would be that easy... I was looking something mystical but nope - just a lowpitched filtered kick. Thanks man!

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Or you can just add a clicky sound (on a layer) between your kick layer and sub bass layer. Sounds like found sound stereo recording (sticks, cuttlery, whatever) with a 16th-note offset, slightly panned left.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016