Deep/Tech House Track Feedback

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by 9ty, Nov 17, 2022.

1. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

Hey there,
    I really appreciate the kind of feedback users are getting here, so I'll try it myself. :)
    I'm just looking for some feedback, no matter which aspect it adresses (mixing, songwriting, genre specificas, etc.), so here is some little information:

My musical background is more guitar music related, playing guitar myself(in bands and other contexts) - but I always loved the sonic possibilities and moods electronic music is able to create. So I beamed myself into doing electronic music myself since a few years, still learning, but also still feeling I do better over the time, which is rewarding. Right now I have literally hundreds of unreleased/unfinished projects, but somehow can't manage/force myself to do the next step and have some digital releases. This track is one of the projects I already tried to master (with ozone), because I was able to play some of my music on an event a few weeks ago... my first time DJing in front of some people, yeah :wink:

I'd really appreciate some honest feedback :bow:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

For my taste the drums (BD, snare/clap, HH) are to hard and dry, but I suppose you made this on purpose?

4. Benno de Bruin

Benno de Bruin Kapellmeister

Very nice track!

First impressions:
    • guitar melody a bit loud
    • drum is very nice but a bit harsh in the highs at times
    • sounds like kick, hats and rest are not always really glued together
    • nice arrangement, open atmosphere, no instruments interfering with eachother, maybe the bass disappears a bit at some point
    I think it mainly needs a tiny bit more work on the mix, and then some decent mastering.

Here's a tip for you: compile 3 EPs each containing 3 or 4 tracks that somehow fit together, from your 100s of half finished tracks. Just pick the best ones, don't worry about the rest.

Then work on the mix, level them all up, without bothering about mastering them.

Finally master them or have them mastered, i think you could easily get them released, as this track shows your musicality (is that even a word?).

When done, repeat the above, and also don't be afraid to trash tracks that don't make the selection. You can always recycle certain elements of tracks without using the whole track.

After that create some new tracks, with the above experience in mind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Benno de Bruin

Yes, perhaps what you mean with dry, is the lack of glueing i mentioned.

6. No Avenger

Primarily, I meant the lack of reverb/room/ERs. But glueing them togehter with a short attack time will redude the peaks and move them a bit to the back, so this could work too.

7. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

Thank you very much, this really helps! :bow:

Yes, the drums are really dry at the moment, only my holy three of colouring (eq/saturation/comp), no reverb. It was a matter of purpose, but only in the way I was looking for some "danceability". My taste is usually a bit on the softer side, too. I'll try both tips: shortening the attack time and use some reverb on the drum bus.

@Benno: I had a similar idea of compiling some small 2-track-releases. Hearing someone say the track shows musicality really improves my self-confidence to finally drop something:bow::bow:

8. No Avenger

You'll highly probably need different reverbs for those instruments (in terms of predelay, length, EQ/damping, and send level).

9. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

Thanks for the hint, makes sense.
    Do you have any suggestions regarding reverb plugins?
    Otherwise I'd start with something like Altiverb/Seventh Heaven, IR type stuff.

10. No Avenger

This is solely a matter of taste/preferences. Altiverb or Valhalla Vintage Verb should do fine, as well as a bunch of others.
    Often overlooked in Altiverb, it has a gate, predelay and leveler for earlies and late reverb.

11. Benno de Bruin

I often put some reverb on the drumbus, but only like 3% to 4%, barely noticable but brings it together. As does some (mu)compression.

It depends on where you're going to put it. Soundcloud considers 2-tracks as a playlist, and they tend to get less attention than an EP. For Bandcamp 2-tracks is fine etc.. Some platforms prefer singles and albums over EPs.