Deep (pitched down) vocal effect

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by getrich420, Jan 9, 2016.

1. getrich420

getrich420 Noisemaker

Many talk about Skrillex's bass lines but how about the extra deep vocals?

Any insight?

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Best Answer
    Probably with digital pitchshifters WITH formant control. Try zplane elastique, quikquak pitchwheel, etc.

4. getrich420

getrich420 Noisemaker

Thanks bro, I tried zplane elastique and got good results. You the bomb. This is not something you can do without a 3rd party plugin it looks like.

5. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

You should definitly check ADSR Sounds Vocal Resynthesis which explained in great details what you ask and more...It was posted on the sister site a few days ago, I watched yesterday and it is exactly what you are asking (plus he talks about the song you're referring, skrilex, diplo, etc). The whole voice effect is hype in Hip-Hop right now so I try to master it...You really need good plugins, melodyne is great for messing with the formant, zplane is included (with elastik audio) in samplitude, but I have more success in Melodyne. The key is also to resampled after using Kontakt or something similar (or like me with IL Harmonizer which is great for messing with samples) to map your voice to keys and pitch it up and down with a good pitch algoythm and so that you can play your voice like a synth fx with your keyborad. It is all explained in the tutorial.

Good luck !

6. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Don't forget to unlock the pitch & the formant in elastique.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Duplicate vocal track and pitch the duplicate down an octave (-7 semi, -5 semi, etc) and modulate it with formant filter.
    +1 for melodyne, Zplane, etc. Even freeware like RoVee works.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  8. getrich420

getrich420 Noisemaker

I've checked out all the stuff you guys recommended and I got great results with both melodyne and zplane. I still havn't messed around mapping the vocals to keys and playing it like that but I did get the effect I was after. The ADSR tutorial was kinda slow for me but I'll get around to watching it eventually but he uses a lot of built in Logic stuff and since I'm in ableton it's not exactly the same. Thanks fam!

9. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

Of cos You can! It depends on the host You are using, and algorithms may vary. I'm Live and REAPER user, both can do that (REAPER has Elastic precessor, so it's winner here), Logic also has Flextime. And I think your host, You not mention, also has smth for pitch processing.

10. Aswad

Aswad Ultrasonic

you can do it with little alter boy from soundtoys