Decided to try Reaper and after a mild heart attack, it might get a second chance :)

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by Bunford, Sep 19, 2016.

1. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

I'm gonna chime in here as well. It's def not my main daw but I gave reaper a shot twice.

A) It's normal for any daw to scan at startup. Reaper is no different. Just leave it running to do its thing and you won't see again.

B) As for your plugins, it's def not reaper. I have boatload of plugins here and nothing was ever de-authorized. It's essentially a scanner, not a license checker (unless you have some plugs in demo mode).

2. Here's a liitle tip: when it's loaded try using Help->Check For New Version from the menu bar. If it comes back with 'Reaper is up to date' or new version is available, your firewall is faulty and letting your plugs phone home. That's why they deathorised.

3. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

I've tested most daws in my 25 years of music making, my only two experiences with reaper were once around 8 years ago. i installed and tested ok.
    started making music with very low volume when suddenly, out of nowhere the most hellish screaming noise almost trashed my speakers and almost made me deaf.

never heard anything like it and never experienced anything like that from any software or hardware.

then 6 years ago i reinstalled, tried it and, in the middle of a nice time this noise from hell breaks loose again. :)

didn't like the interface and the menus and most of all i could ever again trust it to not blow up my system and ears again, i was like always expecting it to happen again hehe.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I just wanted to say,i love you all.:mates:

5. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

Been using Reaper for years and I've never had these problems. Other DAWs scan the plugin folders as well, but Reaper does it much, much faster than, say, Cubase, which as I recall takes like a minute to load. Not saying that your problems are imaginary, but it's certainly not about Reaper.

6. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

and what Von really wanted to say is that he loves his Cubase :hillbilly:

for fuck's sake, who was this guy Bunford? Left shitty messages about Reaper and just run away, no replies, no thank you-s to the ppl who tried to help him. Way to go, Bunf!

Anyway, this thread has now outlived its usefulness.

7. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

As any other thread will... in time! :drunks:

8. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Hum sounds like my Cubase 8.0 every time I started it. So happy I move to Reaper.

9. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

guess we were postin' in a troll thread... :winker:

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

a) first scans always takes ages.

b) thats not possible, it never happened here. there is an other origin for that problem.

11. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Scared of reaper menus? Try ReaMenus...Much better organization of reapers context menus

12. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yes

13. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I doubt it. They all work fine in Cubase 8.5, Studio One 3.3, Ableton 9.6, Sonar Platinum, Bitwig and even FL Studio. If it was user error it would be happening in all of these too. The fact that it ONLY happens in Reaper out of about 7/8 DAWs I've tried suggests it's more software than user!

14. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Don't use VST3s, and any that are installed get deleted to save my SSD space. I only use VST2 64 bit.

15. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I use more than one DAW because I do both electronic based stuff and scoring type stuff. I tend to use Cubase 8.5 (but slowly converting to Studio One) for scoring stuu and use Ableton with Reason rewired into it for electronic stuff.

The other DAWs I don't generally use, but have them installed as I tested them out.

And, what pisses me off the most about this, is I only installed Reaper to test out if the Liquid Mix hardware works as people reporting it works in Windows 10 with Reaper!

16. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Just another OP post that blames a DAW (Reaper) for not working correctly, while he should consider that 9 out of 10 times, it's due to user's own system (configuration).
    WAKE UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Impressive

Impressive Guest

This happened to me several times with Reaper5 & other DAWs. You have to turn off your wifi when it's scanning. But even then, it still tends to mess up certain plugins here & there.

18. Galactico_B

Galactico_B Ultrasonic

Mate there is nothing in the scanning process that would deauthorise your plugins.

Have you done what I suggested and ignored the errors, point Reaper to the correct folder, clear cache and rescan?

Furthermore you are confirming that your plugins still work in your 6 other DAWs now correct? Hence they are not deauthorised.

Reaper when scanning is not authorising your plugins but attempts to LOAD them. Hence if it attemps to load any unauthorised plugins, you will get *unathorised software* messages. There is no mystery about it.

Reaper has been scanning and loading plugins fine for over 10 years now!

19. Galactico_B

Galactico_B Ultrasonic

You may also find you save more SSD space by deleting 3 or 4 whole DAWS you dont use, rather than VST3 dlls BTW! :wink:

20. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual