Decent $100 USB(!) microphone with MOST FEATURES?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by canbi, Feb 2, 2024.

1. canbi

canbi Ultrasonic

Sorry for math symbols, I like to be compact :rofl:

Recently Novox NCX gathered my attention for being a decent microphone with 4 characteristics and 192 kHz support. The only cons that I heard about it, is its sensitivity — it collects a lot of noise. There are 2 versions of it, which I think differ with — perhaps — size. (left, 2022)

upload_2024-2-2_21-3-14.png

If I could build a microphone, my requirements would be:
    1. ≥10<40 to ≥18000 Hz (max frequency)
    2. ≥88.2 kHz (sample rate support)
    3. Cardioid and stereo (characteristics)
    4. USB support
    5. Tripod
    Anything else, including anti-shock basket, pop filter (that I can make out of thigh or buy for $3 :)), headphones live audition, mute button, bit depth, etc, is not important for me.

Any ideas? I can also look on used ones (prices ≤75% original value)

3. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

usage? cause tbh, an stereo mic is not something i would like to have for music recording (its better to do an stereo technique with 2 mics)... other than that, i would say that the neom usb is a good option

4. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

A usb mic is problematic, starting with the fact a usb port can only supply 5v. A usb interface and a decent dynamic or condensor mic would likely yield better quality. used usb interface can be found around 25-50$ on ebay. as far as mic's go, it will depend on what you want to do with it. for voice you may find a certain mic captures your voice better than others.

another option is sort of the do it all - Zoom H4n

[​IMG]

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/zoom-h4n

Zoom's H4 digital stereo recorder remains hugely popular and, despite a few reservations, is one of my favourites. With 'combi' jack/XLR inputs, 48V phantom power, a coincident stereo pair of mics onboard,

and masses of extra functionality (from four‑track mixing to guitar effects and a USB audio interface) it's much more versatile than most recorders, and the sound is good for the price.

The H4's preamps could be better, navigating the menu can be fiddly, the casing might be a bit more robust, and so on, but on balance it's an excellent portable recorder.

5. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual