December 19th, 2015 - One of the biggest AudioWarez days ever?

Discussion in 'Software' started by charliekerper, Dec 20, 2015.

1. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

Some apps get cracked, others, not.
    And among those cracked, some get released day-1, others, several week-long later.

I remember R2R releasing an app, which was really anti-consummer, with mandatory online checks and other shit. It was a Japanese product, but even R2R said on their nfo 'shame on you', in Japanese.

Clearly, they wanted to punish that develops for such behavior.

Now, let's see what this ilok defeat means.

So far, only the MCDSP stuff got released (only...), and another EQ. The remaining apps, excepting the Eventide, Lexicon and another reverb I can't remember, we're all AVID stuff. Also, pro tools 12 got released.

If we analyse this carefully, it looks like the first thing AudioUtopia wanted, was hitting ILOK AND AVID in the heart.
    Like some sort of punishment.

The question is, will they release ALL the apps from the +50 - 100 companies that use the ilok stuff?
    Because , this might look like a simple Crack, but no, it goes well beyond you and me being able to use this or that app. No. This may change the audio industry forever.

Now, is AudioUtopia going to release other goodies, during Christmas?
    I guess among all the people from audiosex, 90% would love to go to audioz, and see SOUNDTOYS, FLUX, ALTIVERB, and probably, the new Falcon from Uvi, released. AudioUtopia knows hundreds thousands guys are now praying for some of their favorite apps to be released.

But because the 'lesson' was already given, to ilok and avid, maybe there won't be any other releases, who knows.

Audioutopia are the 2016's NERO : they have the power to let someone live or die.

if we think of all those companies who blindly trusted ilok, and put all their faith, resources, trust, on a slice of USB plastic,
    they must now be praying , too.
    of course, this isn't going to happen, but, if audioutopia decided to release most apps from most companies, ILOK could well bring the new ilok3 or ilok4 holographic edition, all the companies won't trust them anymore.

the dumb thing is, the first ilok got defeated: that should have been a reason to multiply the security by 1000x. But no, the soft-ilok got cracked as well. Openssh kind of told ilok 'be careful, guys, your stuff isn't that protected, after all '. But no.
    ilok must have been SO FKING sure the hardware thing was impossible to defeat... they didn't try to improve things, like any other security company might have done.

but... ilok uses an hardware dongle, yes... but somewhere, there is some software involved, to communicate with the hardware...

if I was a company selling plug-ins with ilok, now only I would hate ilok, today, but I would hold them responsibles for any damage, if the ilok protection should fail. And God, has it failed !!!

so, will Audioutopia go full Havok?

And I am sure, at this precise moment, the Steinberg engineers must be analysing those cracked ilok dlls, and must be saying 'is it too late, already.' .

nobody wants to see a vst company dissappear. I don't. But this is a major slap in their face, for those , like Avid, who think they can change the industry, and take it to where they make the most cash, with dumb subscription plans and other shady techniques.

So, these releases...

will Audioutopia go full havoc. ..or was this just a lesson... and we might not get any new release?

To me, this was a lesson.

and we won't be getting those soundtoys or Flux plug-ins. (Man, I wish I could buy the Flux audio analyser, but that Ilok shit...)

2. David Arta

David Arta Newbie

And Cubase 8 Pro?

3. statik

statik Audiosexual

seriously screw cubase

4. mastalogic

mastalogic Member

Yes... now ProTools 12 HD became a freeware for everyone on this planet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

December is the biggest AudioWarez month....tens of R2R releases and tens of AudioUTOPiA releases (as well as some other small releases)

6. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

[​IMG]

7. Marianus

Marianus Ultrasonic

That's applyable to the bedroom producers who buy ProTools and then start bashing every other daw in the forums with reasons like "all the pros use it".
    In my post i didn't mentioned producers, only engineers. But you still can't be ignorant when there's so many pros out there who never complained about its usability or whatever. Anyway, i'm hugely glad that Avid got its TKO.

8. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

[tinfoil_hat_mode]

Did anyone consider the possibility that this ilok cracking methodology might actually have been a deliberate leak from Pace, so they could push a new product to their customers (developers) in the near future?

This kind of strategy have been largely used by all sorts of companies since the industrial revolution.

It's called planned obsolescence. There's a good documentary about it called "The Light Bulb Conspiracy". It talks, among other things, about how the early light bulb companies banded together to reduce the lifespan of their lamps from 100.000 + hours to just 10.000, in order to increase profit.

[/tinfoil_hat_mode]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • List
  9. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Point me to a engineer who you've met that does not complain about the usability or whatever.your so called facts are dated and only where accepteble 10 years ago.

don't tell me nothing, I was at wisseloord studio's last weekend

10. Marianus

Marianus Ultrasonic

What does THAT have to do with my right of free speech? Also i didn't use forbidden words here, i was just equally stating in his same manner as he stated "turd" and other stuff in other topics. I've seen most of his posts are negative in a 9:1 ratio. I'm here for 1-2 days and my ratio is like 7:1, 7 representing my positive ones. So as you can see, quality is better than quantity.

So please, take away the "forum-age" leverage or you'll get no forum-youth legacy in the future because this type of mentality. Are you implying tirrany as the mod who got demoted a long time ago? Whatever, i'll just stop here to not further develop OT-ness.

Ok ok, but why they still using it then? They have plenty of money!!! they can buy whatever daw they wish, they can afford a luxurious car with tons of comfort, a great house, the most comforting ergonomical chair in their studio, etc. etc. so when it comes to software comfort, why they can't afford the switch? After all, let's take in consideration the mastering engineers who are the last step in the making of a song. How is that switch to.. let's say S1 or Cubase have to affect his business if he don't have to send the project/session to another engineer? As a mixing-engineer i can understand that he have to send the session to another PT mastering engineer if that's the case, but as the mastering engineer itself the switch should be a no brainer. Keep it logical bro. :hug:

Just wait for the Christmas and New Year Eve my friend :yes: you haven't seen it all just yet. Make sure you're not heart-sensitive :excl:

11. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Same reason why we use our, we don't want to switch. and on their part there is extra compatibility problems. And I don't mean avid branded hardware but hardware that costs 5 zero's hardware at least. where at this point is unknown to work with other daws.

No one wants to to touch the center of production, being the computer or network. these things become involving risky operations.

don't fix something that isn't broken

And I'm not a mastering engineer, by far. But most I know don't fiddle with projects but plain wav's

12. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Marianus, stop being a troll bro

Insulting other members is against the rules, read it.

I'll ask u to not insult me again or troll my posts.

and again.. i wont use pro tools for free, i couldnt give a shit WHO uses it..

For me, its badly designed regarding workflow and the UI is hideous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

On the surface that seems like a viable theory, but it fails when carefully analyzed:

Clients of Pace are clients of Pace regardless of whether they're licensing iLok / iLok2 or a new and shiny iLok(X). Pace gets paid, and the clients do the paying for as long as they have a product they want protected. So Pace has no advantage to move over to another platform, in fact, the cost of R&D for a more secure platform is a reason why Pace would NOT want to do so. Pace wants to rest on its laurels and reap the benefits of a secure protection, not deal with the fallout from a failed scheme.

The fallout? Loss of client trust and loss of time and money in developing a new security scheme.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. masterj

masterj Ultrasonic

Fixed

LMAO

15. seves

seves Noisemaker

I find this amazing, i just recently started classes in an audio school (which btw is expensive as heck but my dad is paying so...) and they use pro tools there which i absolutely hate but they say it's the standard of the industry (not sure if that's even true but w/e).

My question to those of you who used this DAW and plug ins is: is it really worth to install pro tools 12 and all these goodies by AudioUTOPIA (thanks!!) for example Avid space... is it better than valhalla verbs?, and the DAW itself... can you make something different to what logic or ableton can do?. i already have PT 10 installed but as i said i hate it because you can't use VSTS natively, you need a bridge and i think the sound engine is bad (just my perception) plus to me it looks like a dated DAW. pls respond.

16. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Honestly, I don't think client trust will be an issue at all.

Ilok2 has definitively fulfilled its objective. It remained effective for almost five years, which is amazing considering how fast most copy protection mechanisms are cracked these days...Man, even most tangible, physical goods don't last five years nowadays.

I bet most developers who already use ilok2 will gladly move to ilok3 to enjoy another fiver years or so of unpirated software.

Besides, this wasn't unexpected. Everybody knew that this would eventually happen.

17. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

@seves: Don't bother trying to integrate these new releases on your projects. I doubt you will ever see updated versions of the released software. Unless you are ready to buy the software, stick with what you already have.

18. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

It's a moot point if you need PT to complete school, get a job in the industry, trade projects with clients, or whatever other end-goals might force your hand toward a particular platform (Pro Tools, in this case).

If you're just doing music for you, and you hate PT then don't use PT. Or at least it's necessary to make up your own mind by trying out the newer version and whatever assorted AAXs interest you.

Short answer: Every DAW can record pleasing audio. It all just depends on what you're looking for in terms of workflow, pricing, compatibility, etc.

19. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Agreed. Given the light-speed progress of technology, five years is an eternity.

But the point is that it can't HELP client trust. Pace has everything to lose and nothing to gain by any of their protection schemes being circumvented in any fashion (which was the alleged conspiracy).

20. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Well, this is surely up to debate.

How many new dongles, which they probably buy for 50 cents a piece and sell for 50 bucks, will they be able to sell all over again? Tens of thousands, at least?

Besides, they would most certainly charge an extra from the developers to implement the new system, which is something that probably is already foreseen in the contract.

Also, people are used to programmed obsolescence. They don't quite perceive it as failure....Otherwise companies like Apple, which manages to sell the same products with just a few cosmetic and incremental modifications here and there, year after year, wouldn't exist.

Anyway, is it just me who finds it at least unusual that, after so many years and who knows how many attempts, someone allegedly managed to crack it in just two weeks? We're either talking about a genius here, which is not unlikely, or an inside job.