dear DEVELOPERS - GIVE US THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ted Smithton, Feb 3, 2018.

1. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

God bless our sister site. Software prices are way over the top, particularly for non-Americans.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

To all you haters, keep believing your cheesy plugins are cool and sound awesome....

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Yes this is for the DEVS, we are audio guys we like specs, give us the specs.

after all that's what the hardware manufacturers always has done.

Just saying, too many plugs with little to no info on what the hell it's spec is.

They are treating us like idiots.

i.e. here a comp it's got a thresh and a ratio and it's cool man, it's got analog vibe!

This is my point for you guys who can't/refuse to understand

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. TW

TW Guest

what specs do you want? Made in Austria, hand programmed in c#, on a high quality keyboard with mechanical Cherry mx black keyswitches ? Sorry could not resist. :winker:

I dont get what you want. If a plugin sounds interesting to you get a demo listen to it, maybe analyze it, use it, see if you like it, buy it. If you dont like the sound or the gui or the workflow, dont buy it.

I mean how many and what plugins do you need? If you have an EQ, Comps,etc you are happy with why do you even care for others?

"Well this plugin isnt that good, it dose not sound like the hardware and it is not as good as some of the competitor plugins around, but hey mate it has a nice analog looking 3d gui ", Such an advertising wont make a company sell plugins :winker:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

First of all, since you're here you're probably pirating this shit. You don't really get to criticize the companies. Have some decency.

In any case the companies do what the companies do. Usually their main goal is to maximize profits. They are not in the consumer protection / education business.

Here's what matters:

When was the last time you read a professional music gear / music software review saying for example "this isn't really any good and is not worth your time even if it was free / fifth the price since there are better free / budget options available such as..." Probably never.

Why do so many of the people and outlets who write about this stuff professionally or even semi-professionally write like they work for the gear companies? That's a complicated question. But as an individual you can help by supporting good independent journalists (be it a traditional magazines doing good gear journalism or even a youtube channel) and jumping off the hype-product-of-the-day -train.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Why not starting a GOOD devs list instead ?
    Respecting ppl with friendly protections, being innovative, making stable plugs, using their OWN code ...
    It will be faster than the opposite, and waiting for something that will NEVER happen.

I have some names to drop :wink:

Acustica Audio (sound kings)
    Valhalla DSP (impressive affordable reverbs)
    U-He (this guy even helps other devs to improve their protections :wink:)
    Ohm Force
    Glitch Machines
    Madrona Labs
    Audio Damage

7. spyfx

spyfx Guest

@Ted Smithton
    Hi my friend how are you ? i hope all is good :bow:
    I would like to share some thoughts with you if you don't mind,i will delete this post if it bothers you :
    If you are not satisfied with software why you simply don't go all hardware & have your peace of mind ?
    Correct me if i'm wrong here but i believe you have some great hardware.
    You can get creative this way too,whatever kind of music you make & focus your energy in a positive way :bow:
    Realize that some people in life see a "glass of water half emply,some half full" :
    My question to you is,when you are thirsty,do you really care if it is "half empty or half full" or you simply drink the water & rejuvenate yourself :winker:
    so...stay thirsty my friend,make some great music ! with what you already have & call it a great day :wink: :bow:
    cheers ! :bow:

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Sorry that's not the point. Please don't be rude or make assumptions.

Listen carefully

Once and still today we bought hardware which lists very specifically the specifications.

Ever heard of a Schematic diagram? Frequency response? Noise floor? the list goes on...!!!

Now software developers release stuff with little or no information at all.

The standards have gone to shit dramatically.

We all should expect nothing but excellence for our audio .

We need to insist that developers offer this kind of transparency!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Hi Spyfx! great to see you.
    Thanks for your message. Thanks for your kindness.
    You are a great man, wise words, so true.

We are blessed in these times, too many glasses half empty :bow:

10. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

I don't get the Acustica worship. All they do is copy other people's work and ideas, even if they made a special code for that.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

IMHO perhaps a bit overrated, but there's no doubts about the quality and innovation of their plugins technology.

12. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I mean, I'm not terribly concerned with marketing and hype. I have about a three step process for picking plugins

1) Does it do something none of my current go-to plugs can do? If not...
    2) Does it do something better or easier than one of my current go-to plugs? If not...
    3) Does it somehow sound better than one of my go-to plugs? if not...

4) Fuck it then.

I spend less time worrying about what's coming out of the plugin market and more time worrying about what's coming out of my speakers

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. westfinch

westfinch Platinum Record

Really? I just love this story. It never ends, never changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Well..... one of the issues is that all but two companies are using 50 year old algorithmic technology for plugins, and that tech plateaued 20 years back. Acustica Audio and Liquidsonics are the only companies still pushing IR technology into the future and only AA has real harmonic distortion, as they use ultrasound tech to sample hardware. Every algo plugin that emulates hardware is using limited math to mimic what happens in the real world, and this lacks the 3D depth of real analogue hardware. NOBODY has an algorithm that can accurately deliver the true harmonic distortion that occurs inside a tube or transformer as it's always changing and not static like plugins..... anyone who says they do is full of it. Until quantum computers arrive, we will suffer through this algo tech plateau.

So to the OP, demo everything and learn to trust your ears. If the tool you are testing is crap don't support it but if it is good, buy it and share your experiences. Reward those developers that deliver quality tools and are actually pushing out field into the future.

15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@Ted Smithton

We all know this. Its a digital realm, a lot easier to develop a plugin than real hardware, thats why its important to personally test, develop your ear and no one will be able to fuck with you.
    Slowly you pick out the best and stay with these plugins. No need to get emotional, its just business.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Demon

Demon Producer

Haha, for starters, she is dressed and looks different to the video thumbnail.

Click-bait much?:rofl:

17. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

You clearly have no idea what you are referring to, and your post is without a logical base of support in your assertion.

Acustica Audio uses very advanced IR technology, the same IR tech that Altiverb brought to market (they did not invent) but never pushed forward. Where Altiverb is static, AA's Nebula technology is dynamic convolution and is the ONLY technology today that brings real analogue harmonic distortion (up to 9th order) into a plugin form. AA is using ultrasound technology to sample hardware, capture the signal and harmonic content, then allows a user to use these captured IR's to be applied to a digital audio signal. AA is simply turning voltage into 0's and 1's or one technology into another, there is no copying.... and I'm oversimplifying as it's a complex process nobody else can do like AA.

So you understand, Acustica Audio are using several preexisting technologies, combined with their innovative ideas and coding, to create the most advanced IR technology we've ever seen, and they are doing it alone with under 10 employees. Innovation in science and art is all about using an existing technology to create other technologies, it's at the heart of the steady progression of humans and AA is clearly on that list too.

The courts ruled on this long ago, EVERYONE builds off of another technology. SSL did not design IC's, transformers, meters, parametric EQ, etc..... but they used other technology to build their technology. Manley did not design tubes, transformer technology, knobs and metal..... but they used other technology to build their technology. I think you get the point, expand your understanding of what innovation is and you'll see AA are at the forefront today without any ethical issues.

SUPREME COURT OPINION FROM 1845
    "[In] truth, in literature, in science and in art, there are, and can be, few, if any, things, which in an abstract sense, are strictly new and original throughout. Every book in literature, science and art, borrows, and must necessarily borrow, and use much which was well known and used before." Emerson v. Davies,8 F.Cas. 615, 619 (No. 4,436) (CCD Mass. 1845)

Some of us simply appreciate that AA is the only company offering a tool that is not using plateaued algorithmic technology and giving the end user a real option to the over saturated algo plugin market. AA gives users a 30 day trial for every plugin without limitations and offers a broad selection of tools.

In the end if you do not get it, maybe AA is not for you..... and that's ok. I do suggest you study up on some history of innovation, the actual laws that have been ruled upon by the courts in this area and AA's tech in general before you post about something you don't seem to have any real idea about, or understanding of.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

More power for us who fully use the AA tech. Some people can not differentiate between different tech. and then they get angry at the developer, us and the world, what can ya do?
    I am content, no i am happy.
    A happy engineer is a happy person. Life can be good if you allow light into your life.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. spyfx

spyfx Guest

this ^ :bow:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. tnussb

tnussb Member

Software developers just try to keep in sync with the quality of sold music ;)

(at least 80% "low grade trash")

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018