DEADMAU5 said this Bassline is IMPOSSIBLE...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Cackwizard, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Cackwizard

Cackwizard Ultrasonic

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. statik

statik Audiosexual

there's only one bassmaster that can play anything, Les Claypool! that man is the one true bassgod

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Obo

Obo Noisemaker

dope

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that reminds me of some nice listening sessions with an, ehm, "expanded" mind [​IMG] a lot of years ago.
    Claypool is probably completely mad, but, no doubt, he's a genius.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I will ask the fans to forgive me before hand, i do believe Deadmau5 is very talented in what he does.
    But yet once again it is obvious that Deadmau5 is overrated as many of these self proclaimed "producers". He is great with the mouse on the piano roll and step recording, creating patterns etc, sound design, mixing, i can hand him these. Still, despite the glamour, the huge studio, the SSL and the ferraris, the monstrous private server installment, the myriad analog synths and the big bucks, after all this time he hasn't learned how to put those fingers on the fkn keyboard or any other instrument for that matter. I get it he's too busy cashing in on what he knows best and i can't blame him for that. But for fuck's sake get a grip of what music is about in general and how it's played before you go ridiculing yourself online. This type of (non existent) "knowledge" is what gives too many people the reasons to bash electronic dance music as it stands today.
    Showing the people how they can use their mouse creatively (by a dead mouse lol). Masterclasses my ass. What's next, Deadmau5 teaching in Berkeley? As it is, nothing can surprise me anymore. Meh... Nuff with my rant.
    Props to the OP, cool as fuck bass dude, loved it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. stevo7388

stevo7388 Noisemaker

Not impossible for Victor Wooten!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. voidSeeker

voidSeeker Kapellmeister

Who cares if he plays the notes in or types them in? It's music in the end. There's something to be said for NOT using a keyboard to get notes into the sequencer as that surpasses muscle memory and playing the same stale licks and patterns over and over again and thus the same music.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. AntagonistHero

AntagonistHero Member

Yes he does play piano, just cause someone uses piano roll doesn't mean anything. It's about preference. Even Umek a techno legend said he went from hardware to just using the piano roll mostly, it doesn't matter to him what he uses. This elitist mentality needs to chill for a bit.

10. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

You absolutely can not develop muscle memory on a computer keyboard or mouse. It's totally habit and muscle memory free. :knock:

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I love what I've been listening to, but where does it say that Deadmau5 said that bassline couldn't be played?

12. amadeusex

amadeusex Ultrasonic

No he doesn't ... Playing a bit piano - nothing more.

13. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

In the very beginning of the video, around 0:14.

Sure, just like anyone who plays piano about 2 months, surely he has understanding of notes and simple chords if anything, but my 8 year old niece plays much better and trust me, she's no prodigy. Don't mean to be rude, but you obviously don't understand who has the chops to play and who doesn't if you thought for a second that was piano playing.

There's nothing elitist in expecting from people who make huge money from their music to actually honor it and their fans by devoting some time to learn their way around the effin keys instead of posing off with countless online mouse tutorials. It's like teaching race driving with Need for Speed tutorials. Surely anyone can debate that his music doesn't need great piano skills and i will agree too, at least for the most part. But my quote was about the bassline in the op, that apparently is beyond his skill field and understanding as he says "some of the way you program that bass is technically impossible", and he means it can't be played by a bassist, as he shows with his gesture. If someone calls himself a producer he would better have a deep and thorough understanding of how the various musical instruments are played and/or programmed or just admit ignorance for fuk's sake, it is better than being a smatterer. The OP literally "puts to shame" Deamau5 as he shows that the mentioned bassline can be easily played by a true bass player.
    Be well
    Ps: Sorry, i'm all against false idols and half baked online smartassery by millionaire "producers". If this sounds elitist, np, find me guilty.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

That was said tongue in cheek. What I took from it, is that is was impossible for HIM to do it!

15. Jeen

Jeen Producer

impossible ????? didn't know deadmau5 was a bass expert lol
    this guy is a really good player but it's not impossible , or what about that ???

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Fek, that is what he was supposed to say but didn't hehehe, perhaps he was too embarassed now he's a superstar? For instance in the past he would admit he can't play piano & synth properly. Perhaps i'm being overly critical myself, dunno. I mean i shouldn't crucify him for just one phrase, but he's shown that kind of smartass producer quotes again recently. Ahh nevermind, i may being a smartass myself lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  17. krakdhaus

krakdhaus Kapellmeister

eh... Jaco couldn't type for shit...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. foster911

foster911 Guest

Traditional meanings:

Artist = is a person who could play the notes and harmony by hands on the acoustic instruments or via his/her voice or write lyrics or arrange or compose or perform or 2 or 3 of them.

Producer = is a person who could work with the electronics in an environment using the engineering.

Now:

Producer = is a person who is trying to do everything on his/her own DAW. He/She has to think about all aspects of production so never expect the perfection.

19. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Traditional (producer):
    A person who was like a studio coach, a mentor, and inspirator and optimizer who brought out the best in the artist/band and who changed things around to optimize sales numbers. A producer back in the days didn't even have to touch knobs or fader (as this was the engineer(s)'s job). Some producers were't even (or had history of being) musicians and/or engineers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. foster911

foster911 Guest

Thank you my friend for the better clarification.:winker:

I just wanted to say that the artist was a person who knew the notes and their blendings better than any technician but today producers have degraded the value of notes and usually use them as spices not the main meal. I pray they change their attitude but apparently GOD has got used to it too and doesn't have much problem with it. :bleh:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2018
  21. TW

TW Guest

A producer paid the studio and marketing bills back in the days and bought the drugs and girls to keep the artist happy :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List