dBlue Glitch 2 - too much $$$ ?

Discussion in 'Software News' started by bluerover, May 3, 2013.

1. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Just wanted to throw this question out here into the community. I really do love dBlue Glitch 1.3; it's free and it's very useful (especially with the randomize feature).

I was thinking, with all of the free vst granulizers, pitch shifters, delay, etc.. hybrid vsts, why ""$50"" for version 2? How about $19.99 at the most? I'd bite ;-)

3. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

For me it seems like the guy behind the plugin noticed: "Oh hey, many people seem to like it... I guess I should make some money"

Thats pretty brazen, either stay free or start commerical. But dont start free, change the skin and a few options and charge 50 bucks for it!

And honestly, you're right bluerover. 20 bucks would be an acceptable price, I would say 15 bucks would be okay, but I will never buy it for 50!

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

honestly when i look on synths like Vanguard(70€), which have no new gui and also out dated from the sound - i still think the price is alright. i mean he gave v1 out for free and as it looks v2 is fully recoded.

or look at effectrix - they want 100€ for that - so this price is more alright (http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Effectrix/).

5. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

This may seem like a lot of money to someone who is used to getting everything for free...but really it's not that much.

6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Im sure 20 bucks would be an acceptable price from folks who don't understand how much work goes into these things.

I hate these kinds of posts.. :snuffy:

Man up.. pay what they want.. or don't, if it doesn't seem worth it to you just dont buy it.

But sitting around posting shit like this just looks like a whiney bitch bathroom meeting.

7. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

For me the price would be okay if the first version weren't released for free. That fact makes a huge different in my opinion.

But think what you want. No need to insult persons with different opinions than yours!

8. xsze

xsze Guest

I still think it's cheaper than Effectrix and what is worth guy is shared his stuff for free and guys like Avici made millions on one trick on that thing, don't mention how heavily that plugin is used, on other hand developer don't have for peanuts, so people should stick with free one or support this dude because he earned it fair and square, or move on :wink:

9. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Or better i saw a plugin-maker some years ago and on the website there was no demo version only dl with the option "pay what you think it is worth" i dont know if he sell so many plugins.

But if he had a light demo version that cant be fully functional no matter how much you try to "crack it" that would be helpful to us customers beacuse otherwise you may have pay for something that dont work or you dont like.

If every developer (especially companys like Waves)did that it would be awesome for us poor people as we could afford to BUY the plugins.

A bit like Reaper who have the commersial and a "private use" option to pay for the DAW
    Anyway i can also see that many of the "rich" people will use the bargain option instead of paying the "full" price..

No matter what i think that would take away a whole bunch of "freeloaders" that choose the pirat way

10. liam1895

liam1895 Newbie

I can actually say I was looking at this the other day for Glitch 2's 64 bit capabilities now. There are many great plugins that go for lower and higher than this but I see the developer took advantage of a hit and reworked it so he can make a little cash like somebody said.

Instead of whinging, I say good on him!!! $50 is nothing compared to the capabilities of this VST!!!

11. damncas

damncas Newbie

there is no damn working going into the stupid plug in he sits at his desk and programs in ruby or some other vst code drops it in a box press saves and expects to get paid the human race needs evolve past a need for money how many people have we sent to his site i advertise people's products every day for free they wont even post a link on their twitter or face book page to help me out fuck this whole system

12. illformed

illformed Newbie

It wasn't enough for you to troll me on Facebook, so now you're coming to forums to talk shit about me as well, huh? Pretty sad, mate.

You have no idea about the kind of work that goes into this shit. The amount of time it takes to get everything working right on 3 different operating systems, and the stress of supporting all those platforms and setups. The years of development time that went into the application framework that Glitch is built on (same one that powers Renoise). The life-time of learning all the different skills required to even do any of this. You're completely delusional if you think I'm just casually pushing a few a buttons and magically spitting out a ready-made VST with zero effort. Give me a break!

I wrote you a message on Facebook hoping to share my point of view with you, and maybe help you understand a bit about me and what went into this thing, but you didn't even bother to reply. Maybe you didn't even bother to read it in the first place. No matter. I'll share the message here so that you might see it this time, and also to share my point of view with others in this thread.

My message to damncas (aka Casualty Beats):

13. illformed

illformed Newbie

I released the first version of Glitch almost 8 years ago. If I was just brazenly trying to take advantage of people and cash in on its popularity, I definitely would have done it a lot sooner... before all the other copycat similar plugins hit the market and people bought those instead.

At this point in my life I'm simply trying to get my own business off the ground. People have been emailing me and nagging me for years to make a new version of Glitch for Mac, for 64-bit, etc. So it's perfectly logical that the first product I release is the one thing that my users have been demanding from me for years. I made Glitch 2 because people obviously wanted it.

For all the work that's gone into this thing, $20 is an unrealistic price to expect. I personally feel like €50 ($60) is pretty fair when compared to other plugins out there. Your opinion may of course differ, and I completely respect that.

14. Feridan

Feridan Newbie

Should be $49,99. It's important to charm price. *yes*

15. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Hey, relax. I'm asking a simple question.

16. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Well. Some great thoughts and replies. Even from the developer himself. :)

17. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I'm chilled to the bone dude.... I just hate to see people complaining about someone wanting to charge for THEIR HARD WORK.

If its above ur budget..or conscience.. move on.

Complaining serves to do nothing, whatsoever.. for anyone.

You have heard from the developer now... so that's that.. buy.. or don't. No amount of huffing and puffing about the price of a product is going to change anything.

18. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Sorry man, but thats complete bullshit. You have no idea what you're talking about.

19. Lapsa

Lapsa Newbie

indeed. programming something takes tremendous work and mind power.

20. mrmuck

mrmuck Newbie

if its 64bit im on it lets see