Day 0 attacks and recovering from them.

Discussion in 'PC' started by Desantïs, May 10, 2016.

1. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

I have 2 marketing laptops and 1 production one.. I've had my big work computer take a hit from a virus and was wondering what is the easiest way to backup a whole image on an external PC? So literally if a hacker or day 1 virus hits my computer I can just start from square 1.. Using recovery and previous time did not remove the malicious virus... I can't keep redoing my pcs either. very time consuming.

3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

First, think in "read only backups" with sensitive data. No joke.

My take is quite standard and is:
    - Windows partition (programs, plugins): no matter what you do with your computer you must do a backup with an image backup soft (Acronis TrueImage, Aomei Backupper). You can use too a drive cloning soft but I recommend using the first ones. System drive images can not be infected (read only) even if you mount them. Doesn't hurt if you add a password, but more for privacy reasons.
    - Do the first backup early
    - Do the following ones incremental

- Sensible data partition (projects, songs, etc):
    - don't use a file sync/backup tool to an external one. Hard and SSD drives are by definition "potential destroyer writing ready". I mean, you should do that too. But once in a while also use a image backup software. It can be the same you use for the OS partition. I recommend doing also incremental backups, but in this case is not mandatory. This is the hard part. even the most veteran and skilled computer user has failed (me being the first) one or several times, mostly because of laziness.

In the two cases: keep two copies on different external drives. Or better yet, one on external drive an another on DVD/BR disc. Do the first one as often as you can. The second one you can wait longer except if you add importante changes in a short period of time.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  4. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

+100
    the famous sentence: ... I`ll do it tomorrow :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. StUtOpi4

StUtOpi4 Producer

Use Windows backup to external drive and copy that one to another for safe keeping.. Have everything saved as basic setup including plugins and programs installed. Fairly simple really.

6. fritzm

fritzm Producer

windoze, lol

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Funny indeed, but very sad also. :( If you're using Windows on your production PC for Internet in this day and age, you're just looking for trouble. Well either make backups religiously, or use some flavour of Linux for your Internet needs instead. Dual boot or Virtual PC. Seriously. Using Linux for Internet is just so relaxing. No antivirus, no malware, just a smooth ride. :winker:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

9. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

use acronis true image with plus pack,it allows u to crete a backup that u can install even on different hardware

10. Zentropy

Zentropy Kapellmeister

That or, if you can't be assed to boot a VM/separate OS for internet browsing, install your web browser into Sandboxie and run it sandboxed from there only. It won't impact performance noticeably at all and it keeps you safe without worrying

11. Ankit

Ankit Guest

You have already got advises from many people.
    But you must always keep backup of your data in separate portable drive. And keep that drive disconnected while surfing internet. Ransomware is the new beast people must aware of. Do not click on useless links. Be clever.

12. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

be sure to try to recover the image :) Last time I tried it it simply didnt work with winblows backup or reflect

13. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Just had it happen that my project hard drive crashed. Luckily we still had most stems backed up, but all of the mixing, effects chains, and tedious editing was lost. Now running two 1 TB drives mirrored RAID, and backing up to an external drive and storing that offsite. Also local backup of 220 GB SSD with OS/Programs/Plugins to an internal HDD so it's quick. Hate that we had to start over, but the result ending with the mixing being better due to more "seasoned" choices being made effects chain wise.

14. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

i've had my share of HD troubles oveer the years.
    Recently i tested out different program to make a Image of my sytem-drive in case the shit hits the fan.

http://www.macrium.com/ was my finnaly pick. Have a go at that one.

regarding backup. dont even consider using "the cloud" for that. Just dont.
    get a 2nd external HD and use that for backup.

i backup my "important data" every week. Every sunday morning. i do it manualy tho lol - it simple but it works.

15. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

is it possible to install os on vm then backup
    and then install it directly from a usb stick on a new system without any software installed