DAWs: Why Do They Not Play Well With Win 10?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by superliquidsunshine, Oct 4, 2016.

?

Which do you use?

1. Win 10

44.6%
  2. Win 8

7.5%
  3. Win 7

46.2%
  4. Other

6.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

server make for desktop is better then ltsb in some area

2. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

Old PC -> Old OS
    New PC -> New OS
    Always.
    Otherwise you might end up having compatibility problems with drivers and stuff.
    Make sure the hardware you want keep using are supported on new OS. ( ex.: external soundcard or old controllers )

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

In a few years Windows 10 will rule the world because that's how Microsoft rolls. I actually get better performance CPU-wise in almost all my Ableton Live sets. I use a lot of NI plugs so maybe they're just optimized for 10..?

They've made it very hard to run (File) Explorer as Administrator. I think it's because anything you open or run while Explorer is elevated to Admin gives that program or file elevated status also. This could potentially be very dangerous.

I use a third party file explorer that can be run as admin and drag and drop into Live works flawlessly. If you really need to use the stock Windows file browser to drag and drop while Live is running as Administrator navigate to this registry key:
    Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{CDCBCFCA-3CDC-436f-A4E2-0E02075250C2}
    Right-click for Permissions > Advanced
    Click Change next to Owner
    Under 'Enter the object name to select' type your username and press OK
    Highlight your username under Permission Entries and select Edit
    Check Full Control and press OK > OK > Apply
    Right click the RunAs string and rename or delete (e.g BKPRunAs)
    Now if you right-click and run explorer.exe in C:\Windows as Administrator you can drag and drop from that window into Live while they are both elevated to Admin status.

It's a whole lot easier though to use a a third party file browser.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. THENATAN

THENATAN Guest

Hey Audiosexers .
    I'm about to downgrade to Win 8.1 , Since Ableton Live 9 Had Issues with audioutopia realeses , but i'm a legit ableton user .
    Am i need to use a new authorize key or my previous works well?
    Becuase I prefer to register my stuffs offline.
    Thanks

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

The one that says "Windows 7 Ultimate x64". :hahaha:

"Processor Scheduling, select Background Services" for Windows 10? It's been a somewhat obsolete setting for quite some years.

Processor scheduling at background services is important in some cases in Windows XP. It might be advised to check the ASIO performance with your most complex projects with both settings as sometimes the default works better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Simply put, if you care about your privacy, your bandwidth and peace of mind etc you go Win7. Anybody thinking they disabled MS telemetry because they have installed Win10 LTSB (Enterprise version) are fooling themselves. You can only set the system to receive security updates with LTSB which is the equivalent of the basic telemetry setting in Win10 pro and home. Even if you go to Group policy and switch telemetry off, MS will switch it back on with the next update. Given the fact that Microsoft installed secretly in everyone's computer the -worldwide hated- GWX (Get Windows 10) spy app through a security update (!!) there is nothing safe anymore. Even their chief marketing officer admitted in December that they have gone too far with how they distribute their updates. The only "modern" system that can get rid of MS telemetry completely so far, is Win7.
    Also, telemetry aside, i don't understand who likes a system that is so messed up as win 10.
    They promised to bring back the start menu and instead they messed it up completely. Press windows and try scrolling through the list lol. Win10 has 2 different sets of settings one for modern apps one for classic. It includes too many different style fonts and little aesthetics like the system icons some mediocre,some bad, some worse, none good, all co-existing. Speaking aesthetics everything looks square like it is win95 and in a bad way. As if this wasn't enough win10 has 2 control panels just so you get more confused and they 're totally different. You cannot disable windows store apps,tips and ads in start menu in win10 pro, what kind of pro is this i wonder. Win 10 has the worse compatibility ever. 3-4 year old apps and games crash indefinitely with no apparent reason. With win10 you are constantly a beta tester for MS as there are no service packs anymore. They update it as they see fit and they don't really know or care if the next update will break your system. Win10 shares your connection so others near you can receive the dreaded updates too. After a major update it resets your selected default apps to the MS ones hahah. And because their telemetry reads everything even your email content, you never know when they decide to give your detailed info to FBI CIA NSA whatever. As mentioned by others too you are no longer the authority on your pc. The admin is not the highest privilege lol. Oh and telemetry is present even on the win 2016 Server edition. I can go on forever about how bad is win10. I mean Cortana my ass and tickless kernel my ass etc etc. Lies lies and more lies. I will stop here. Generally speaking i strongly believe (i never thought i would say this,but now it's the 2nd time) if Bill Gates doesn't come back as chief engineer, Win7 will be the last windows version that has most of its feats in the right place and works without annoyances and without privacy or performance compromises.
    Here you go
    files.alaya.net/windows_remove_spyware.bat

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
  8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Well commercialy that ain't viable. M$ likes it, doesn't like it, makes tremendous announcements but at this point it's irrelevant. Win 10 as opposed to what the poll number says here is a sale fiasco. No matter how you take it, it just isn't welcomed. They also said skylake would only run on W10 then came back on it as Intel wanted to sell those CPU. I'm looking at my skylake 6700k running perfectly fine with my win 7...
    Companies turn their head on a lot of things but not sales number.
    I'll wait a few more years or so before upgrading, unless they offer a proper OS.

9. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Well, according to NetMarketshare, last October Win 10's market share increased by 0.06% - in the same month Win 7 increased by 0.11%, almost double as much.

It's pretty clear what people prefer. But that doesn't mean Win 7 is the better OS. It just means it is more popular. Microsoft has made a lot of mistakes since introducing Win 10, so 1 billion user since 2018 is far from reachable. But as stubborn as Microsoft is, in the end it must deliver what people want - and not their own design dreams. It starts with the name, which is now on par with Apple. Ridiculous, but that's the way how Microsoft thinks. So, it may take a few years, and they surely want to profit from their de-facto monopoly, but then we will have what WE want. And that is the modern technology from 10 under the hood with a less awful GUI from 7 on top.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

Neither does w7 64 need any maintenance, everything is built in. You can of course fuck it up by installing some malware, just the same as in osx

Osx is way prettier but i prefer the filesystem of windows and Osx uninstalling sucks (does not exist, technology not there yet)

11. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

Hello.
    Regarding Microsoft OS's, fact is that Windows, be it either XP, Vista, 7, 8, 9 (...?),10, have builds that work and builds that don't.
    I remember the first time I had this revelation: I had an Xp Sp2, and I used a Sp3 upgrade disc, made from a disc image downloaded from Microsoft. It worked fine. But, being convinced that downloading the Sp3 installer would be the same thing, I discovered that it wasn't. It had a lot of bugs. Many programs crashed apparently with no reason. Until I figured out why. Disc image and installer were both downloaded from the same Microsoft webpage. Go figure.
    So, get a windows version/build that works, and keep it. And recommend it to everyone...!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Common mistake that people make when they buy a new computer is say "this new one must work smoothly with everything I throw at it", but the OS is still "good old" patch upon patched patch and bloat upon bloated bloat Windows 2000, as efficient at multi-tasking and real-time operations as an autistic snail. People believe that MS systems get better, and that the speed and everything is better if the OS is newer. Completely wrong and total myth! It just seems like it, because your new computer is probably a bit faster eh? And as soon as you install all of your 9999 "necessary" programs of whom 9000 work in the background, you'll get your "good old speed" you had with your previous computer back, trust me. :wink:

Belief and having gullible mind is some strong shit! Those people that claim things about computers without actual knowledge or proper testing, don't necessarily lie, they just get a wrong impression, with wrong facts together, and think it's true. They also trust snake-oil ads everyone puts out. The best liars are those who are not aware of their lies. :winker:

Yes there are no problems with Ryzen running Windows 7 or XP, for that matter. People who understand computers will know that. As I was saying... :wink: Your computer will always work better and faster with an older Microsoft OS. This is testing talking, on the same computer, and it's all I care for because you can't trust *anyone but yourself* these days.

If I didn't test anything I would be talking out of my arse like the most people in forums who think they know everything when they finally figure out why 1TB is not actually 1000 GB, or manage to merge their first registry patch into the registry... or some other advanced rookie thing like that, that makes them feel like they know "shit", when they actually know shit, literally. :rofl:

13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Every Windows OS ever released had to be tweaked out of the box because there is no universal setting for every computer and every use. However, on W98 it took me [say] 5 minutes to optimise it for audio, then in Windows 2000 it took me 10 minutes to do that, then in XP it took me 20 minutes to do that, and you had some stupid and unnecessary services and "automation" to take care of additionally. Then with Windows 7 we got even more crap to deal with to somehow free the CPU from all the background processes so it could work better in real-time and with Windows 10 it became just such a terrible pain down there in the back to make it work as it should. And in the end you get a slower computer than the same one with an older OS. So rewarding, isn't it?.

What you think is a faster OS is just your mind playing tricks on you, and Microsoft PR know how to play that game. For example, the shit they write to your screen while installing Windows XP is unbelievable! At times so funny, but at other times so dumb it gives me creeps how smug those people must be. :sad: I'm completely unable to get that warm and fuzzy feeling using any of the Windows OS. I get that only with Linux.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Absolutely. Windows is convoluted for the sake of back compatibility. This is its blessing and its curse at the same time. Every newer windows version is more convoluted than the previous one, because too many different teams are working on the same OS and believe it or not, the few smart peeps in MS are not enough to deal with the majority of order following/soldier-like employees and the order giving money hungry top execs. At the end the only thing they care about is making a release at a given time and they never care if the monster they call windows os works out of the box or not. Win10 is the best example of this behavior. Having an Os that doesn't know what the hell it is and utterly being the first of a series of Os'es (i believe we have to get ready for even worse) that what does best is spy on you lol

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I've been thinking about how huge corporations like MS are even able to function and make an OS that works at all. Because "too many cooks..." you know. ;) No wonder every newer OS is worse than the one before it, and you can bet there will be more and more features that are only there to bring them money. Now that they've caught the fish, they have to gut it, and then grill it slowly... we're at still at the gutting stage, I think. :wink:

16. SOKRVT

SOKRVT Kapellmeister

I've used windows all my life. Windows 10 is by far the best OS. Most stable and clean OS i've ever used. I've kept pc running for weeks without lag or freezes.

17. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Yep, agreed totally. Some people don't seem to grasp that Microsoft KNOWS many many people use cracked/copied Windows. So partially it's explainable why they use the people's pcs and bandwidth to display ads and mine crucial info. Personally i have 2 Win10 Pro and one LTSB (MSDN) licenses to my name and only one of them in use on a computer that is pretty much my guinea pig. The thing is this behavior of the Os is apparent on all Win10 (and 8.1) Os , even the legit ones. So at the end, their scheme looks like a Steinberg model only more devious. Steinberg take their customers' hard earned money and instead of investing it to music/audio RnD, they invest most of it in paying for developing more sophisticated protection for their premium products, which at real world usage uses your comp's resources to constantly check many times per second if the usb lisence stick is on hahah. Imho, it is ironic how people still invest in this company. MS punish the legit users (with all their telemetry and messy,unrefined GUI and uncontrollable system behavior) for all the other non legit ones lol.
    Have a nice one mate :)

18. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Is this supposed to be funny? Back in the day i kept a pc running on windows NT 4 for 18 months with maybe 3-4 restarts if i recall (after the SPs installation). Does your testimony prove anything in terms of stability or reliability? Words just for the sake of argument?

19. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

There's difference between official support and "this works".
    Kaby should have no problem running Win7. There's no reason why it shouldn't be able to do so.
    Just checked Intel's website. There are drivers for integrated GPU and chipset for Kaby on Win7.

I remember a few years back I could left my laptop idling in my bed and it wouldn't overheat. Even the fan wouldn't spin. That was with XP and lite 7. Regular 7 took a while to tweak, but it reached that point too, although it idles on 5.1W not 4.5W as it did before. In Win10 the fan won't ever stop and the lappy soon cooks itself in the bed (CPU temps above 70°C).

That's how idle tasks work - very little benefit (if any) at a cost of high CPU/HDD usage. Too bad it's near impossible to take down all of them. That concerns even Win7, though not as much.

Trying to list all reasons why W10 is a no-go in my setup would be probably tiresome. One of the main reasons though is how big it is. I have my Win7 on a 20GB partition. Vanilla Win10 takes almost 30GB compared to 7GB for Win7.

I'm pretty sure 1TB is 1000GB. :unsure:
    It's that "i" that makes the difference
    1TiB = 1024 GiB = 1048576 MiB and so on

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

Win 10 here... never had any issue.
    People with old machines should stay on those old OS instead of pushing the limits.
    For what I know and see, Apple fans are the ones that have always problems with DAW and VST's....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List