DAWs: Why Do They Not Play Well With Win 10?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by superliquidsunshine, Oct 4, 2016.

?

Which do you use?

1. Win 10

44.6%
  2. Win 8

7.5%
  3. Win 7

46.2%
  4. Other

6.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bobs Ur Unkle

Bobs Ur Unkle Ultrasonic

was just about to type the same thing before i scrolled a little, i think its the other way around though, as in not with admin priv on.

2. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

@TW I mostly agree. But when you use it in an networked environment in the studio (I use some PCs and a NAS) don't you have the effect that the network places are recognized with a huge delay (~30 sec. each time I try to access a network resource via UNC paths the first time in the session)? MS "introduced" this behaviour with the first big update to Win10.
    It's not a real problem, but I don't like it.
    I never resolved this one.

3. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

win 10. Never had any problems since first setup. Ultra smooth. 90% Of win 10 problems are curved hands and outdated hardware. :yes:

4. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

So you're using the google service YouTube, which is spying on you with every visit, yet you complain about Win 10? The moment you go online you are spied. Win 10 at least can be prevented from spying, it gets harder with google services, and impossible with social media...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. akashaman

akashaman Guest

not really complaining about Win 10 , just stating the obvious.
    i would never entertain using it.
    I am well aware of big brothers overreach , via YT , Google , FB , et al.

6. Bandit

Bandit Producer

Win10. Love it. Computer seems to be more stable for me and faster. But that might be a mind trick :)

7. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

i find windows 10 to be way better on a laptop then w7, trackpad gestures and touch etc

w7 is compatible with everything i need and it works without bothering me much with updates. Which are easy to turn off. There is a script which removes all spying updates but i cant be bothered to find it on goodle

8. dondada

dondada Rock Star

I use win7 (ent) but just because everything just works. Set up Workstations for friends and clients in 8.1 and 10 and 7
    and only 7 if there are driver issues (with hardware in later Os). I really like 8-.1 was a bit apprehensive about 10 and the forced updates.
    You can delay updates just a certain amount of times still (and cant turn of some).

Either way. Most of the problems seem to disapear if you get yourself a Enteprise edition.

Often forgotten with notebooks is how they treat heat. I use a dell precission with a quadro gfx and it isn´t a good cooling solution.
    I gets quite loud because dell didnt think to include a finer fan mode. so its 1500rpm and off a few times a minute.
    But i need it it for a 4k 60hz monitor. the cpu can handle 4k 30hz easy but the system seems to run smoother with the gpu enabled.
    The fan Volume is only a "problem" in a total silent room not in an office/location setting.

Most 3rd generation intel cpus should handle demanding work just fine with a fast ssd. Display and cooling and maybe keys should be your main concern.
    imho ;)

.ps
    10 is only going to get more interesting for touch specificly multitouch in daws i think

9. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I completely agree with you
    @SineWave on this... i have 3 operating systems XP cause i have some older hardware that only runs with it >>>i have windows 7 on my main Recording PC at my Studio that i do most of my tracking on with my XP machine aswell.... and i have windows 10 on my other PC i do alot of Edits on . All tho i dont have any problems with windows 10 its full of Bloatware so im constantly uninstalling new crap ;) for me offline XP and windows 7 is the winner for stability and windows XP runs smoothest of the 3... im in belief this is do to alot less crap running in the background \m/ just my opinion tho ;)

10. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I swear to you I've done this. I've even tried taking ownership.

11. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Win10 with absolutely no problems, even with legacy hardware drivers for some of my gear. Personally I find it more stable and significantly faster than Windows 7 and 8. I think Windows10 got a bad rap in the beginning but thats with every new OS that gets release. Most manufacturers havent hammered out driver stability to support them and so youre left with a mixed bag of stuff that works and stuff that doesnt. Win10 has been out for a while now so these kinds of issues have already been hammered out or at the very least found some alternate resolution for them.

12. Ankit

Ankit Guest

You need Win 10 Enterprise LTSB.
    If you are using intel's 5th gen or below line processors, then windows 7 is safer side because of the drivers. But if you're using intel's 6th gen or 7th gen processors, windows 7 is definitely not a good choice.

I have seen most of the tutorial makers on youtube using windows 10. Thare's no problem in win10 if your drivers are working fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. mail22

mail22 Ultrasonic

Windows 7, 8 and 10 never get "tired" like XP after you use it for some time. Now I'm using 8.1 with metro disabled + 7 interface, as it loads and runs much faster than 7. I have tried 10 but it's not my OS. Don't know why.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

And which 8 version is the best for music production?

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

For me 10% of the problems that I don't have with Win7 or XP is the reason I don't consider W10 an upgrade, but downgrade. Everything is more complicated to do in W10. Everything. And yes you can make things work in most cases, but in W7 you don't have to make them work because they just work. :wink:

Aside from that my real-usage tests with Reaper have showed that XP is still the ASIO and DSP performance king at 128/256/512 samples of latency I commonly use. Then comes W7 and W8, in that order. Do you see a pattern there? :winker: Musicians and producers should just go with the oldest Windows OS that is supported by the software they use, simple as that. That is the safest and most rewarding option, so you can work in peace and not tinker with shit. :wink:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  16. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

While I am satisfied with the performance of Win 10, your sentence really is true. I got this notebook with an already installed Win 10. When I got it, it had such bad graphics. Everything was black and white for the most part, and pixel-ish. No website was able to correctly display its content. Of course I knew it had something to do with graphics settings. Still, it took me several days (!!!) to finally find an almost hidden switch deep down in the system, which activated "high contrast". It was nothing more than one switch to turn off and it took days to find it. That's what I hate about "modern" OS. They always try to hide settings from the user as if they assume that everyone is a stupid idiot that would crash the system if making changes to it.

17. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Sorry, don't want to turn this into a Win 10 "tweaking" thread, but here are some good tips I've compiled. Maybe it could help someone out there. These tweaks are geared toward PC's used for studio work only, and is a security risk if using PC for banking, sensitive PII, etc...

Completely Remove ONENOTE in Win 10 :

- Open POWERSHELL as administrator
    - Paste this : Get-AppxPackage *OneNote* | Remove-AppxPackage

Permanently disable Win 10 DEFENDER :

1. Tap on the Windows-key to open the Start Menu.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and hit enter.
    3. Confirm the UAC prompt to continue.
    4. You find the setting by following this path: Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender.
    5. There you find the policy "Turn off Windows Defender".
    6. Double-click on the policy.
    7. Set the state of the policy to enabled in the window that opens, and click ok to save the change.
    Adjust Processor Scheduling
    1. Right click the Windows Logo and choose System
    2. Select Advanced System Settings
    3. Click the Advanced Tab
    4. Under Performance, click the Settings button
    5. When the Performance Options window pops up, click the Advanced tab
    6. Under Processor Scheduling, select Background Services
    7. Click Apply, then OK
    8. Click OK to close System Properties
    9. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect
    Turn off UAC completely :
    - Run regedit
    - Look for : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Systemand
    - change the value EnableLUA to 0.

Disable Win 10 Firewall

To permanently disable CORTANA (if you have it):
    - run gpedit.msc
    - Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search. Double-click the policy named Allow Cortana.
    - Click 'disable'

Turn Off Indexing in Windows for Better Performance (optional)
    - run --> services.msc
    - scroll down till you find either Indexing Service or Windows Search in the list of services
    - Double-click on Windows Search and click the Stop button to stop the service. Then change the Startup Type to Disabled

disable web search in Windows 10’s start menu

1. regedit --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
    2. If the key does not exist, right-click on Windows and select New > Key, and name it Windows Search.
    3. If the preference ConnectedSearchUseWeb exists, double-click on it and set it to 0 to turn web search in Windows 10 off.
    4. If it does not exist, right-click on Windows Search and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value, name it ConnectedSearchUseWeb, and set its value to 0.
    Disable Hibernate (and Delete hiberfil.sys) :
    - run a CMD.exe window as "administrator"
    - type : powercfg -h off

Go to Win 10 settings, and turn off ....like 99% of all the stuff in there (especially win 10 app stuff).

The list of "SAFE" services to disable :

• Tablet PC Input Service (in Windows 7) / Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service (Windows 8): you can safely disable this service, unless you use Tablet PC. Some "Tablet PC Components" like the Snipping tool or Windows Journal will continue to function, while the Tablet PC Input Panel will not. The default startup type is Manual. You can set it even to Disabled without negatively impacting your computing experience;
    • Windows Time: if your computer doesn’t have access to the Internet then you don’t need to update the system time from online servers. You can safely disable this service. But if you do, then this service will keep your system time accurate. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Secondary logon: if you are the only user of your computer, it can be disabled. But only if you don’t plan to use more than one user account. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Fax: unless you use your computer to send or receive faxes using fax resources available on your system (for ex. by using a fax-modem), you can disable it. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Print Spooler: if you don’t have a printer attached to your computer and you don’t use virtual printers (e.g.: PDF creator, Microsoft XPS Document Writer, Snagit, etc) you can disable it. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Offline Files: unless you use the Offline Files functionality from Windows, you can disable it. Safe setting: Manual;
      NOTE: This service is available only in Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise. In Windows 8 it is available only in the Pro and Enterprise editions.
    • Routing and Remote Access Service: This service offers routing services to businesses in local area and wide area networks. It allows computers to dial in to the local computer in order for it to get access to the local network. On a home computer you won’t need such features. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Bluetooth Support Service: unless you use Bluetooth devices such as keyboards, mice, printers or phones, you can disable this service. Keep in mind that, if you choose to disable this service, then no Bluetooth devices will be recognized. Also, the already connected Bluetooth devices may fail to work properly. Safe setting: Manual;
    • BitLocker Drive Encryption Service: unless you use Microsoft’s Encryption Software (included in Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise Edition, and in Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise), you can disable this service. BitLocker Drive Encryption is a feature that allows users to protect data by providing encryption for entire volumes. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Encrypting File System:EFS provides file encryption technology for storing encrypted files on NTFS file systems. If you don’t need to encrypt data on your hard drives, it is OK to disable it. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Certificate Propagation: if you don’t use SmartCards (sometimes used in large organizations), it is safe to disable this service. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service: iSCSI is an abbreviation for Internet Small Computer System Interface - an IP-based storage networking standard for linking data storage facilities. It allows client computers to access data over long distances on remote data centers, by using existing infrastructure (ex. over LAN, Internet). iSCSI devices are disks, tapes, CDs, and other storage devices on another networked computer that you can connect to. Sometimes these storage devices are part of a network called a storage area network (SAN). Unless you need to connect to iSCSI devices, it is safe to disable this service. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Netlogon: this service is not needed in a home computer. It maintains a secure channel between the local computer and the domain controller for authenticating users. Unless you are connecting to a network domain, this service will never be used. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Parental Controls (in Windows 7) / Family Safety (in Windows 8): unless you have children using your computer and you want to monitor and control their activities, this service is not required. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Remote Desktop Configuration: Remote Desktop Protocol is a protocol developed by Microsoft which provides Windows users with a graphical interface to another computer. The client used by Microsoft is called Remote Desktop Connection. If you don’t need to connect remotely to another computer or allow incoming remote connections to yours, then it is safe to disable this service. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Remote Desktop Services: same as above. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector: same as above. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Smart Card: Smart Cards are generally used for safety reasons in large organizations or corporations. The typical home user won’t probably need this service to be running. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Smart Card Removal Policy: same as above. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Windows Connect Now: this service is used by laptops and other mobile computers to connect to Wireless Networks. If you are on a desktop computer, you can disable this service. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Windows Firewall: This service should be disabled only if you are using a third-party security solution that provides firewall protection. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Windows Error Reporting Service: this service is used to report system errors to Microsoft. Although disabling this service won’t affect your Windows computer, letting it run when needed may help you solve problems and issues that occur on your system, by searching solutions available from Microsoft. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Remote Registry: this service enables remote users to modify the Windows Registry. Some say that having this service turned on can pose security issues, and therefore, choose to disable it. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, this service is set to a manual start by default, while in Windows 8 it is disabled. After disabling it, I encountered some problems while updating my system, so I really think that it is safe to leave it set to Manual, at least in Windows 7. Safe setting: Manual;
    • Windows Defender: if you use a third-party security solution (antivirus and antispyware), then disabling this service is a safe choice. You should also check this tutorial: Windows Defender - How to Turn it On or Off. Safe setting: Manual.
    Use portable applications for every utility (including browser)
    - Download all application in portable format for daily use (search, browser, file copier, team viewer, skype, MSOffice clone, ccleaner, uninstaller, unloacker, PDF reader, media player, etc...)
    - go here and search : http://portableapps.com/
    - put all portable apps in something like - C:\APPS, and drag the *.exe shortcuts to desktop
    - they make a portable version of just about everything :)

Disable these background processes :
    • Wireless adapter searching for signal → disable Wireless
    • Bluetooth → disable Bluetooth
    • Windows Scheduler
    • Processor Scheduling
    Hard Disk Optimizations :
    1. Right click on the Windows logo and choose File Explorer
    2. Click This PC in the left Column
    3. Right click on the drive on which you will store your audio and choose Properties
    4. Make sure “Compress this drive to save disk space” and “Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed” are unchecked
    5. Click Apply, then OK
    6. Repeat this process for any drive where you’ll be storing audio
    Disable startup items.

Exclude audio drives from search indexing.
    - Or, disable search indexing completely, and use a portable app for searching.

BIOS/UEFI tweaks :
    - Disable processor throttling and dynamic frequency scaling. Not every motherboard BIOS or UEFI will have this option, but when available, disable Enhanced Intel SpeedStep (EIST), Intel Turbo Boost, AMD Cool ‘n’ Quiet or AMD Turbo Core. This will set the processor to always run at its maximum so your DAW has as much power as it needs.

- Disable processor C states. When a processor enters a C state, it moves to a reduced-power mode. Disabling this setting in the BIOS/UEFI will prevent the CPU from idling and keep it running at its maximum at all times.

Disable "runtimebroker" (optional, if this is taking up huge resources) :
    - regedit
    - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker
    - in the right pane change the Start value Dword to 4.
    - To turn it back on change it back to 3

Enable Windows Super Administrator Account :
    - run --> secpol.msc
    - click on Local Policies > Security Options
    - in the right side you will see the first entry as Accounts:Administrator Account – Disabled Right-click on it > Click Properties > Enable. Close.

Finally, next time you reformat your PC, install the version of Windows 10 called "ENTERPRISE LTSB".

....What a pain-in-the-ass it is now-adays to maintain an operating system. I'm so sick of the BS. :-/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  18. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

You mean, "maintaining a windows operating system" ..
    OSX doesn't need all this b@llshit . :0)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  19. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

7 Forever

20. Ankit

Ankit Guest

These guys are not having any problem. I am not having any problem. And I don't know why people are having problem with that. :thumbsup:

If Win10 isn't working for you, then maybe you're not the chosen one.:bleh:

:mates: