DAW with a VST version

Discussion in 'DAW' started by reticular, Jan 29, 2023.

Tags:
  1. George Santos

George Santos Kapellmeister

If it were me - I'd use my sound card's virtual channels. I have a UAD X8p with 2 virtual stereo input channels and 1 virtual stereo output channel configured.

Reason can send audio to virtual channel 1/2. Ableton can send audio to virtual chanel 3/4. The summed output goes to virtual output 1/2.

I can then route those virtual channels around within either daw to play with, mix, and record.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  2. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

I can use Harmour in FL loaded as VST in Ableton.

3. Laersen

Laersen Member

You can use 32 bit VST in 64 bit DAW il you use jbriger. in Cubase it's possible with no problem.

4. reticular

reticular Kapellmeister

Yeah, Sonic core is a really cool platform, but i find it wierd because i needed to run it just to be able to use audio out, like youtube etc., maybe i was blind, but i could only do it that way.

Temper is a Daw from the Angry Red Planet, google bro, also Phrazor is from SonicBytes

5. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Maybe, I didn't get it right, but what I do is: my main DAW was/is Sonar/Bandlab 32/64...
    but also I have several another DAWs installed along...but I never use them...
    still the main DAW grabs all the synths and effects from other DAWs
    and I use them all (if needed). That's it

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

With VST (and AU) plugins, you have the actual plugin, you can have a wrapper, and then you have a host. The host is the DAW software that generates the main Time Clock, and functions as the Mixer Master Out to the Soundcard/audio interface or it's own software. (by use of mixer engine). We used to have Rewire, which would allow a secondary Host software to sync it's internal clock with the main clock source, and allow audio to flow from one applications Signal Path into the Main Host. Like Reason, FL, and others (buzz, Audiomulch, types of Niche Daw software most commonly allow it). Some DAW applications, like Logic always must be the Master Host; it can never function as a slaved application inside another Host.

The entire DAW application allows itself to function as one big plugin, inside the main host software. Almost like running a Linux Virtual Machine, inside Windows. Collaboration work between two users is probably the most practical application to use it for. This way someone who only knows FL, as an example; can share projects back and forth without having to learn to use another DAW application. The audio engine of the main DAW is what actually "creates" or renders the sound output. It can also be helpful if one person has a much faster/better computer. Generally, it sucks because it uses almost double the resources needed to run that way. Bouncing stems in one DAW and re-importing as audio into the other is usually/almost always a more desirable way to do the same thing. Sync can be problematic. It's like using two sequencers and using MTC/MMC, but between programs.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
  7. alexbart

alexbart Producer

It's called Scope, it's the software that acts as control panel for the DSP cards (Pulsar, Scope, Luna, Xite etc.), without the software running, the DSP cards cannot be used, but, you can save a default project and set it to run automatically at system startup and minimized to taskbar.
    I personally use it only over ASIO and hardware I/O such as ADAT and Z-Link, but in any case, the Scope software must be running.

8. reticular

reticular Kapellmeister

@alexbart - Luna, it sounded sweet i must say, pretty organic and synths were crazy good, not in my possesion anymore but i might get another one.