DAW Wars, why are people still arguing over Daw's

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Joe Crisp, Dec 25, 2021.

1. babuk

babuk Producer

that "diagram" is fuken retarded, but what you expect from the robot, never seen anything like it in countless forums

2. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

My google translator cannot translate what you meant by Fuken. Maybe you can write it differently again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

By definition, an 'argument' is all of those things.
    An argument is a positive thing, based on explaining ones reasons for believing something.
    The word has no negative connotation except in your mind.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

"Daw war" may be a bit more clickbait than "daw picnic". but you can see why someone might get that negative sort of idea....

5. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

i have stopped using DAWs many years ago because of that discussion.

6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Sure, but you kind of forgot the end point of what I was saying.

7. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

the only DAW war I'm interested on is the Ableton Live x Bitwig battle.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

No I didn't. But thanks for acknowledging my/the truth.
    It's fine. It was made in such a way as to accommodate for the future.
    It has all we need, imo.
    2.0 will only accommodate finer resolutions amongst a few other things I think.
    Something good came of it.
    I reminded you what the word argument actually means.
    It's important.
    And I didn't just Disagree with you telling me I forgot something when I didn't, I explained.
    That is an argument.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  9. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

So then why misquote me?

And you apparently have no idea how MIDI even works. The only accommodation for the future MIDI spec had was... SysEx, right? What else out of spec was there?

Finer resolutions? Pshaw, how does MPE (the biggest thing out of it yet) work then?

You kids, I'll bail out and leave you to your "discussion".

10. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

I didn't. I don't know what you mean.
    In a way, telling me I forgot something when I didn't is misquoting, which is why we are talking.
    Because you tried to tell a 50 year old man what's happening in his mind.
    Best not do that assumption thing, is all.
    Kind of wrong. They left a lot of unused numbers in various places that can be used, as you must know.
    MIDI. Same spec as we started with.
    Meant finer res with pitch bend for instance.
    Using MIDI since it began, kiddo!
    All the best to you.
    Good argument, I'm sure.

edit:
    For the last 35 years or so, it's worked fine for me and millions of others! :rofl:
    As a keyboard player it's had to!
    There is nothing I don't know about the protocol!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  11. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Joking aside I think Bitwig is perfect to jump to for Live users, but if you're well versed in another DAW it might not necessarily be the perfect DAW it is for me. When using Live I had to use tons of M4L devices for the kinds of modulation I wanted, Bitwig has all that stuff either integrated or very easy to build from scratch.

So naturally I really love it, but I don't think it's innately superior to any other DAW. I've tried Reaper for a while and I think it's far superior to Bitwig when it comes to CPU usage, and having an old laptop, that's important to me.

12. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I see what you're getting at and I agree in a sense. I started using Ableton a while back (version 4 I think), and I don't agree necessarily where they are going. Bitwig does a lot of that stuff better.

Fully admit that I've other issues with BW so I'm sticking with Live now.

13. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

Same. And unfortunately even now it's still not up to par with the main 3 DAWs in regards film work, which is what I implied earlier.
    Not that this would effect everybody.
    So there are DAWs and DAWs, I guess.
    If the thread question was "Why don't all DAWs follow the same standards as set by the main DAWs years ago that are used in commercial industry?"...then we might get somewhere with the truth.

14. psydub

psydub Noisemaker

Im sincerely hoping Ableton won't switch the direction they're evolving Live into and 'make it up to par' with those daws you mean in regard of film work . Live is a musical creative playground , not per se a 'linear' daw. I hope it doesnt turn into a digital performer- or logic pro-wanna-be.

Thing is different software implies different philosophies of working with sound , musicianship , performing, producing, mastering , etc.
    Live is an incredible piece of work for what can be done with it. I understand what you mean, but sincerely hope they keep developing it in the direction they have been so far.

Don't want to see it turn into a hodgepodge of all sorts.

15. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

@psydub
    Totally agree.
    Which is the reason why "Best DAW" is always a moot question. Best for what?
    I totally dig that Live is how it is and I couldn't agree with you more.
    And if you're scoring for picture you can still prep in Live and then bounce and go to another DAW with better SMPTE clock.
    Not sure, but I think Live had video capabilities before Logic too.

16. psydub

psydub Noisemaker

i think it our (human kind's) biased tendency to seek out ultimate solution for all purpose and then rationalize about and make discourse, hence 'best this, best that'. Also we tend to build narratives , similarly structured around protagonists and antagonists. We are creatures with mythologizing psychology, hence the bias.
    If we were on forums about cars or what have you, it'd would be rationalizing and endless argumentation why this car is best over the other cars, and so on.

There is also an 'ergonomic' aspect of it, if you will. I would want to have the 'best' choices, so i don't have to waste energy on fixing my choices over tools i use. Its a bland ethics we've adopted over the later age of the Internet. Its how the internet contorts us. it is a cognitive shortcut.

I would add only that i see so many notes on how these daw-wars threads on music production forums are pointless and it's all been said, but i actually enjoy reading them.

You can learn so many things and get an insight on things you wouldn't even have imagined, weren't it for those kind of threads.
    I immerse in the myth of the best daws... :)

17. triggerflipper

I scored a 15 minute short film before on Live. I don't know how other DAWs let you do it, but it's definitely doable for someone who knows how to use it well.

18. F.L.O.W.

F.L.O.W. Producer

I never said it wouldn't though! So why imply it?
    I just know it isn't up to spec yet, is all.

19. triggerflipper

Didn't imply you did?
    I was just saying, it may not be optimal for film scoring, but it's been done.

20. GT33

GT33 Kapellmeister

people will do anything to distract themselves from how shitty their snare sounds
    i remember the time when people said stupid things like mixes sound better in logic pro :no:
    studio one, ableton live and logic pro on mac :mates:
    but nothing can't compete with $60 Reaper

everyone is using DAWs these days if only they knew about Digital Audio Workstations :chilling:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List