DAW Transfer opinion (Multiplatform)

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by psycrosis, Jan 26, 2014.

1. psycrosis

psycrosis Newbie

Greetings, was looking for some advice through google and found myself here.

Hopefully someone here can help.

I have some nuendo4 project files on my computer from my high school Audio recording class and I want to be able to start working with them again as well as maybe do some new personal recordings.

I DO have a copy of Nuendo 4, just haven't installed it in a while.

My issue is I have a myriad of devices and I want to find the path of least resistance because I want to be able to also work with these files on my Laptop, which kinda wrecks it by being a Mac.
    I also have a FireWire interface, but.... I thin I might be out of support times for it anymore

I list my specs and devices below. I have knowledge in nuendo, but I don't mind switching as long as I can convert the files to work on both computers when I want.
    I considered boot camp, but my hard drive unfortunately has limited space.

Maybe its too much, somebody set me straight.

Hopefully I am not stepping my bounds by asking this here.

Thank you guys

Equipment-

Laptop-
    MacBook Air 13inch, Mid 2012
    OS-10.9.1 (Mavericks)
    2GHz Intel core i7
    8GB Ram
    256 SSD
    (I have a 1TB external that houses a windows8VM for my college school work)

Desktop
    Homebuilt
    OS Windows 8.1PRO
    intel quad core Q9550
    8GB RAM
    500GB install drive,1TB internal data, 3TB external data

Interface
    Tascam 1804

3. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

I believe Nuendo supports either OMF or AAF sequence exports. What that would give you (assuming it works properly, to which I can't attest, no being a Nuendoist) is a platform-independent sequence file you can pull into Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools (the latter possibly requiring a plugin, depending on the version), or various other DAWs that support that as an import format. It would export your audio tracks with all the clips (and handles as you dictate), but not your MIDI tracks, and certainly not your instruments or other plugins. For MIDI tracks you can do a separate generic MIDI file export, but again this would give you the basic MIDI data only, no plugins. No matter how you do it, there's going to be a significant amount of tweaking and note-taking before and after, as platform interoperability is at this point more of an ideal than a reality.