DAW Recommendations for Rec, Mixing and Mastering?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Liondre, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Liondre

Liondre Noisemaker

What DAW would you recommend for recording vocals/instruments, mixing and mastering? I am looking for something that has it's strengths focused in those areas, since I already have hardware for my production needs I don't want a DAW that has a lot of focus on production.

I previously came from Studio One, it was good when it worked but I had too many bugs and other problems, and honestly I find the interface uninspiring. I used Ableton Live for sometime it was great and surprisingly good for my needs, the interface is also pleasing, but I can't justify purchasing it when I won't be using it to it's full potential.

Right now I am tempted by UAD's Luna, although it will be expensive for me, it seems to be the best solution for what I need plus more. The DAW is still young but I love the look of it and the mixing workflow is literally how I used to mix in S1 using tape > channel strip > summing (this is the one thing that puts Luna above the other DAWs for me). I would use Luna in a heartbeat but thing is I need a Macbook and an Apollo interface, its a big investment that I am willing to make. But I would like to hear some feedback from people who use Luna first, and any other recommendations as well.

3. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

DAW >> Pro Tools

experience has shown that it is almost never the fault of the DAW's ,if something doesn't work, but of the user..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Luna is about the last reason I would opt to go with UAD hardware. It's kinda like buying a Tesla because you want to run AutoPilot. I also doubt you would be able to get away with a Solo or Twin, so you will probably be into UAD about 3grand just for the interface so it has enough DSP power to bother with; for you.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

I don't know much about S1 but Ableton is perhaps not the best choice if you have to navigate through huge projects.

Recording Vocals/Instruments can mean anything, be more specific
    Do you want to make 40 minutes long prog tracks or a simple punk song?

If in doubt just use the DAW that can handle both.

Just use a DIY channel strip, why would you want Luna for that (why would anyone want to use Luna lol), because it has some blinky colors or a knob for tape saturation on each channel strip waiting to get tweaked?
    You're making the same mistake as me back when I bought Reason, but you'd have to pay 10x the amount I had to realize thats a mistake.

It's really not worth investing in UAD just to get Luna, Luna sucks because it was doomed from the start, we don't need more competition on the DAW market, but cooperation.
    These days you have Antelope giving you their entire DSP plugin range for free instead of constantly teasing you with their shit.
    Get one of those and Reaper, bam you just tripled your use-value.

I have a Macbook and an Apollo x6 and I want to sell both now because fuck them. Wish I had a moddable Desktop PC and a simple Steinberg interface, would've saved tons of money with no downside whatsoever.

Like really, a shitty sounding DSP reverb for tracking vocals is more than enough for getting the job done - I just realized it way too late.

Don't be like 99% of amateur musicians and "invest" money, be cheap, be contrarian, carpe diem:
    Just get Reaper, you don't even have to crack it. Just wait a while after the splash screen shows. 0€ solution and it works like a charm, thank me later.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  7. Colin

Colin Producer

I'll be controversial and say Cubase, because I always say Cubase.

.... but in all seriousness .... if you have ears that hear the difference between good and bad then it shouldn't matter which DAW you use. This is not about DAWs or plugins. It's really about how you use your ears!

8. Joe Crisp

Joe Crisp Platinum Record

What you're describing is basically what Pro Tools was designed for, so....PT gets my vote

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. marveljam

marveljam Ultrasonic

If you want a DAW with a built in mastering section Presonus Studio One does this (even this DAW is a simplified but effective master). No other DAW does this. You can use any DAW to somewhat master but you will most likely want to use Mastering software to prepare properly for differing formats

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

This DAW is now free, you can download and test.

Cakewalk by BandLab
    Fueled by over 30 years in the relentless pursuit of innovation,
    Cakewalk by BandLab is the new standard for the modern recording studio.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I've used Fl Studio, Ableton Live, Cakewalk (well.. I've tried) and I'm currently learning how to mess with Bitwig but my favorite DAW to record, edit, mix and master is Reaper, without a doubt.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Peek

Peek Ultrasonic

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. willnubu75

willnubu75 Ultrasonic

Pro Tools.

14. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

REAPER - it's bulletproof.

15. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

You can try the full version of REAPER for free for as long as you need. Although they would like you to by a license sometime.

There is a lot of help with videos and resources from the community. If you try it my advice is to right click on everything in the app.

It is a very small download and does not include any virtual instruments or copy protection.
    It sounds like just what you need. You should try it.
    REAPER is extremely reliable and powerful DAW. It is no joke, don't let the low price fool you.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Whichever one makes you happiest and lets you finish your projects.

I've never spent more than a few hours with S1 on a friend's rig so I don't know if it's buggy, but I didn't get the impression it was. They are really the same in the end, just find one that you can stand staring at and stick with it.

I have my issues with S1 & Live and it is mostly the metering on the mixer panel, I would also put Bitwig in the same category. I've messed around with Luna and it's OK, it's not great, but it's not bad some of the things like summing seem to run on the native CPU rather than the interface.

Since the summing is Native and that's what you are interested in the most, maybe try the Harrison 32C for your needs. I think they have a demo, so you are not loosing anything but time.

Good luck.

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

I'd get a little m1 mini with 16gb ram, install Logic (overkill) or reaper, and call it a day. Or do some monthly Protools, not a perpetual.

see if you even like working on a Mac. worse case scenario, you don't. sell it like 3 years later for 200 bucks less.

18. James Rooney

James Rooney Member

Cubase is the definitive answer!

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  19. clone

clone Audiosexual

the above resounding answer is F*ck Luna. When Cakewalk is winning by 1 vote.....

Digital Performer might even be a better option in the long run.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. jon doe like pizza dough

jon doe like pizza dough Ultrasonic

so my recommendation is pro tools and Cubase pro 11
    it is heavily focused on audio and is really good but if you are looking for a "free (cracked)" daw go for Cubase pro 11/nuendo11 or logic pro

logic is quite good but its mac only
    but Cubase pro is really good especially Cubase pro 11 and nuendo11 there are some awesome routing options and the mix console is very deep and powerful the thing is Cubase pro 11 and nuendo11 are really good at doing bought audio and midi in the other hand pro tools is really bad in midi so if you ever change your mind or have to use some form of midi in your projects you will regret going with pro tools

21. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Any DAW is only as good as your ability to use it. What's right for someone may be wrong for someone else. The only way to find what is right for you is by trying them all out until you are happy with your choice...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List