DAW Question for Logic Pro or FL Studio

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Mr. Barry, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Mr. Barry

Mr. Barry Newbie

Question about DAWs, specifically Logic Pro and FL Studio.

I have used Logic Pro for almost 10 years.

I recall just watching a tutorial video for FL Studio, and I believe I saw a "pitch" button right on the track.
    Does FL Studio support loop transpose/pitch with .wav files at the ease of a button press?
    For example, can I take an audio .wav loop of a guitar strumming a C chord, and pitch it up to play an F chord (while keeping the same timing/bpm)?
    And can I chop up that loop sample, and have maybe the 2nd chunk transposed to a different pitch?

And does it audibly sound good?
    And can you drag and drop the .wav loop right into your project, without an elaborate conversion process, (like Logic Pro forces you to convert .wav to .aif)?
    The same questions go for Cubase. I used cubase more than 10 years ago. And if it has loop pitch functionality that is easy to work with, I'd consider it as well.

For anyone who has knowledge of FL Studio and Logic Pro (or Cubase), can you tell me what you think of these different DAWs -- specifically for working with loops?

If you want the full background why i'm asking, keep reading, but it's not necessary for the question.

---------------------------

Generally I'm happy with Logic Pro, but I have noticed one functionality I really am having problems with.
    My frustration with Logic Pro is with it's use of .wav loops.
    If you drag a .wav loop into Logic Pro, yes you can "Flex time" it, and match the rhythm to the bpm of your project.
    But, you can not transpose the .wav files pitch.

Yep, there are a couple built in tools to "pitch shift" the .wav loop, but I challenge anyone to listen to the results. It's not at all natural and sounds horrible. I would use more choice words, but I don't want my post to be censored.
    There is a way to pitch and transpose the wav loop in Logic Pro -- but you have to convert the wav file to .aif apple loops format. Only then does Logic Pro allow you to pitch/transpose the audio loop.

This is alright if you only work with a couple loops -- who cares. But if you are like me, I have tons of sample loops, entire libraries -- hundreds if not thousands of loops. Entire downloads from looperman, etc. And sometimes I just want to "audition" a loop sound into a song. I might not end up using 90% of them -- I just want to know what they sound like in the mix, with them pitched properly.

Well, you can't do this easily with Logic Pro. They force you to go through their audio conversion method into apple loops first. It's not fun doing one loop at a time. Very time consuming. And, it's not very intuitive.
    I guess there is a way to "batch" convert them?
    But you're taking .wav loops out of organized folders, then Logic Pro just throws them all into one folder.
    This isn't cool at all.
    I need that organization from how I have the original .wav loops. If it's EDM drums, I want it to remain in the EDM drums folder. I don't want that loop thrown in with every other loop i've converted -- it loses the organization.
    Not only that, converting from .wav to .aif duplicates all the files, taking up more and more harddrive space.

Again, that's not a big deal with a couple loops. But it's unrealistic if you're dealing with hundreds or thousands of loops.
    If you use Logic Pro, and have no problems with transposing hundreds/thousands of .wav files in Logic Pro, can you let me know of your work flow? Something I might be missing?

I recall using Sony's "AcidPro" literally almost 20 years ago. As soon as you drag and dropped the audio loop onto your track, you could pitch and transpose the loop with a button press -- took less than a couple seconds. I recall using AcidPro for all my fun remixes. The ease of pitching and transposing loops you dragged onto tracks allowed for instant audio feedback and making mixes and music was way more creative and fun.
    So it leads me to believe Apple is doing their control-freak thing, where they do not want to support "wav" file formats, and are forcing people to use their .aif audio format. It doesn't help that 98% of all loops in my libraries are all .wav file format. I'm sure there are politics at play. It's not that Apple hasn't figured out a way to pitch the .wav loops with a button press (Sony did 20 years ago), it's that Apple doesn't want you doing that.
    And that's a shame, because it's interfering with the creative flow of my music production.

Thanks.

3. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

You have to do it manually in the Time Stretching window

Yes you can

Yes you can by making that second chunk as "unique" and then editing independently from the original source.

Keep in mind that FL Studio is not ging to match to tempo a Wav. file that does not contain tempo info. That as to be done manually when you drop that file in the playlist. Dont expect that to be as in Acid or Ableton or Logic and other DAWS

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  4. Mr. Barry

Mr. Barry Newbie

Thanks Pirate. I will consider dabbling with FL Studio in the near future.
    I didn't want to go through the trouble of learning a new software program like FL Studio, that has a learning curve of several weeks or even months, only to find out it can't do what I was hoping it would do.