DAW host with the most comprehensive audio editor?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by panther5, Jul 3, 2015.

1. panther5

panther5 Kapellmeister

I'm not looking for midi editing, just audio editing. I'd like to know which DAW host has the best/most comprehensive BUILT IN audio editor. Thanks.

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Protools, ableton.

4. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Logic has a pretty good built-in sampler and audio editor, if that's what you meant. :wink:

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Which pool has the clearest water?

6. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

although i'm not using it right now but my vote goes to Samplitude Pro X2

7. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

If you don't need MIDI at all, then Adobe Audition CS6.

If Audition were to support MIDI and virtual instruments, I'd probably be using it exclusively as a DAW.

Studio One 3 seems to have good audio editing features (including the Melodyne integration). Logic's are good. However, for audio-only editing, I myself use Audition or Audacity, depending on the complexity or speacialization of the tasks (i.e., noise reduction and removal, for which Audition is excellent).

8. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

Pro Tools. Shitty in everything else, but very intuitive with audio editing.

9. virusg

virusg Rock Star

well Samplitude come to my mind too if u look for ''the most'' ...and maybe Reaper? correct me if im wrong

10. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

+ samplitude x
    you can also do a lot with Edison inside FL Studio. i don't see that mentioned much. not sure why...
    it's got some great editing stuff including rendering audio straight into it, editing and dragging onto the timeline etc..
    a hidden gem methinks...

11. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

Well, it's not exactly a DAW, but hosting VST plugins and in my honest opinion one of the best audio editors out there: WAVELAB.

12. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Well you can... with A3.

13. panther5

panther5 Kapellmeister

Stevitch, this is sort of why I asked this question. I bought Audition 3 back in the day with the assurance that they would continue Vsti support. I just have to say: Goddamn them! I've been angry with Adobe ever since. It was perfect for my work flow, and they went and fucked it up. I still use version 3, but it's pretty dated now (no 64 bit support, etc.). However, as you state it's still an excellent audio editor. IMHO, the best audio editor out there by far. I tried Studio One 3, but it just didn't suit me, and Logic is out of the question, because I'm on PC. I just really want Adobe to bring back Vsti support to Audition. Please, please. :(

14. eheavy

eheavy Member

I would have to say comprehensive audio editing is studio 1 as it has pitch and time features within the track making audio act like midi. the only thing its really missing is spectral editing

15. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

i'm using the old Audition 1.5 regularly, it's still my go-to wave editor for more advanced stuff like spectral operations and multitrack audio snippets mangling.
    Mapping keyboard shortcuts to the most used operations is key for a speedy workflow.
    I also use it for batch processing, it's shockingly slow compared to sox commandline but powerful as hell.
    As it runs on 64bit OS as well and supporting more than 2GB of RAM would not give me any advantage, i'm still fine with it, probably for another couple of years.

@wildchild, what holds you back from using Audition 3? Only the missing 64bit support?

16. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

The radio business worldwide has been using Abobe Audition for years, some departments at the BBC use Sequoia. Hope this helps decide which audio editor is the most reliable and best featured for audio editing. Audition has full VST support as well.

17. xsze

xsze Guest

Heard great things about Samplitude, maybe that's your cup of tea entirely, if you are on a budget, try Reaper, doesn't have dedicated editing window, but it does well without it, at least as well (if not better) than Logic, Cubase, Bitwig, Live and etc :thumbsup:

18. remix

remix Platinum Record

This is not strictly true...especially for the BBC...

i applied for a production assistant job in Manchester when the BBC moved there radio services up here a short while back and from the listing it was all bespoke software made for then that ive never heard of.

19. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

I use third party editors inside Reaper. Set it up in the prefs and you can use any editor you want. I have Reaper set to open DC Foresnics and Wave Purity with a quick right click. Have it set to open Recycle for loops, etc. I always loved that feature. Just associate a file type with an exe you want Reaper to open it with!

20. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

@remix
    From your very limited broadcasting experience you have no right to state if something is or is not strictly true, do you?

21. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

That could be true. The BBC is very progressive with technology, they made their own vidfire thing, and recovered colour information from B/W film scans, so I wouldn't be surpised that they make their own audio tech as well.